PDA

View Full Version : clothes for June 20 sobo start

dmath010
05-01-2014, 14:58
I don't have any experience with New England so the biggest area I need help with is over packing clothes. I'll have a 15 degree bag to start. Here's what I have thus far until out of NH

Worn:
Synthetic bugs away ls tee
Patagonia Baggie shorts
Ball cap and bugs away head net
1 pair wool liner socks

Packed:
Synthetic sleeping base layer top and bottom
Synthetic base layer bottoms for hiking
Patagonia fleece pullover (9oz)
Montbell alpine frost parka/pillow
1 pair wool liner socks
1 mid weight sleep socks/ use as gloves
Lightweight Fleece beanie
Dri ducks top and bottom rain gear

I feel it's too much, but I don't know what I can leave out. I'm also not interested in wool, as I happy with stinky synthetics

rafe
05-01-2014, 15:08
You might hit a few 40 or 50 degree nights up at elevation. I honestly think a 15 degree bag is overkill. But you may well want it when you approach the end of the trail a few months later. A light hat and pair of gloves are always useful. Just my $0.02.

New England can get pretty hot in summer, though you lose 3.5 degrees (F) for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level. Some of my hottest hikes have been mid and late June.

JustaTouron
05-01-2014, 15:18
My two cent: The 15 degree bag might be overkill but.....someone for New Mexico might chill much easier than someone from Bedford MA. So take that into consideration with temp/gear recommendations.

The ultralight contingent will abhor this advice but: It is better to have an extra layer and not need it (and then mail it home) than freeze.

Now you are up to 4 cents.

dmath010
05-01-2014, 15:29
I'm at 6k of elevation in NM. I've seen as low as -19. But it's a dry cold...

I have a 32 degree I could bring too. Maybe that's the best bet.

JustaTouron
05-01-2014, 15:33
I'm at 6k of elevation in NM. I've seen as low as -19.

Then ignore my advice.

flemdawg1
05-01-2014, 15:58
Patagonia fleece pullover (9oz)
Montbell alpine frost parka/pillow

Take one but not both.

saltysack
05-01-2014, 19:44
Ditch the rain pants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
05-01-2014, 23:18
Add long pants. Keeps the bugs off your legs and the overgrown trail from cutting you up. You'll also need them for above tree line in lue of rain pants. I'm not sure if the "base layer bottoms" will cut it.

And yea, by the end of June it will be getting reasonably warm up this way.

CELTIC BUCK
05-02-2014, 00:20
I'd go with 32 degree bag & keep rain pants , I've hiked NM and NE ; you don't realize how much rain we can get and this yr is real wet so far.Watch the streams & river crossings.Best of Luck.

forrest!
05-02-2014, 05:28
I did the 100 mile wilderness at exactly that time last year. One day there was an all day 40 degree rain, and I shivered all day. I had long pants, but no rain pants. Finally in the afternoon I put on my long underwear bottoms and warmed up. But at the end of the day they were soaked through. So, yes, I carry rain pants now, for just that type of day.

fredmugs
05-02-2014, 07:13
I did the 100 mile wilderness at exactly that time last year. One day there was an all day 40 degree rain, and I shivered all day. I had long pants, but no rain pants. Finally in the afternoon I put on my long underwear bottoms and warmed up. But at the end of the day they were soaked through. So, yes, I carry rain pants now, for just that type of day.

I had something similar but maybe not quite as cold. Also - the year I hit Mt Washington it was 30 and snowing on July 1st. I would lean towards too much until you get thru the Whites.

Andy P
05-06-2014, 01:51
I would ditch one of the base layer bottoms and definitely get a pair of pants, possibly convertibles with insect shield if you can swing it. The ticks are already out here in New England. As someone else stated keep the Patagonia fleece or the parka, not both. But, like people say hike your own hike. I'm leaving SoBo June 7th. Here's my finalized clothing list:

Zpacks 20 degree bag / quilt

Worn:

Exofficio bugs away zip offs

Icebreaker tech t 150 long sleeve

Ibex woollies 150 boxer briefs

Smartwool phd outdoor socks

OR pocket cap with sea to summit head net

Packed:

Icebreaker 150 base layer bottom

Ibex hooded indie 1/4 zip

MH Ghost Whisperer hoodie

Marmot Micro G

ULA Rain Kilt

2 pair smartwool socks

Town:

Icebreaker 150 Tech T

Ultralight under armour shorts

Minus33 boxer briefs

Footwear:

Solomon XT Wings 3 w/ superfeet green insoles

OR spark plug gaiters

- all clothing and gear treated with permethrin.

I may carry a little more clothing than others, but it's all lightweight and it really works for me.

I can't wait to get out there. I look forward to seeing you on the trail. Happy Hiking! :-)

saltysack
05-06-2014, 07:06

How do u stay dry wearing rain pants while hiking? I've been out in 25 deg weather and can't not sweat out underneath rain pants I've used.. I've only used the cheap ones ie dri duck or frog toggs....

Nick P
05-06-2014, 07:13
I'm SOBO on June 26th, and don't have rain-pants either, but do have convertible pants. I'm hoping that our relatively late start will help minimize the odds of really cold rains. My full gear list is here, btw: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18471

(I can't decide on my footwear. Will my Salomons be firm enough for the Whites, or should I go with the heavier Keens and switch out after MA, when it warms up and gets flatter?)

The best of luck to both of us!
n

bangorme
05-06-2014, 13:54
My full gear list is here, btw: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=18471
n

I noticed that you were able to get quite a bit of high quality used gear. Did you buy it locally?

Nick P
05-06-2014, 17:18
I noticed that you were able to get quite a bit of high quality used gear. Did you buy it locally?

I bought the tent, bag, and pack (originally, though Gregory allowed an upgrade from it) here at WB, and most of the clothing from ebay. Having had a year to research and shop helped a lot.