PDA

View Full Version : Insects this spring?

stillatit
05-01-2014, 19:27
Anyone know of predictions of ticks, mosquitoes, and other pesky bugs on the trail this spring? I ask because last spring the ticks came out a little early but the mosquitoes were not so bad, at least in the sections I did (mid-Atlantic, S New England). I was out on the Buckeye Trail middle of last month on a trail crew, and was surprised to find ticks already out in a rather hot, sunny area (recently logged). I'm wondering if this year's strange winter and the already wet spring, in some ways more severe than the same pattern last winter (2012-2013), will be influencing these bugs' appearances.

Thoughts? Knowledge of this matter?

Theosus
05-01-2014, 19:47
I know in my state the bugs are out in force already... Did a Foothills Trail hike in SC earlier in March, and the mosquitos and gnats were already out, despite 40 degree nights.
The nice thing was, after dark they calmed down, and even sleeping with no bug net wasn't a problem.

I don't think, in the south any way, the hard winter is going to do much to deter the bugs.

johnnybgood
05-01-2014, 20:09
If I were a betting person my money would be on the insects not being affected one bit by this past winter. I'll ask my buddy Entomologist that works for the gov't what he thinks.

Offshore
05-02-2014, 07:05
If I were a betting person my money would be on the insects not being affected one bit by this past winter.

+1.
I was on a dayhike on the trail last week on Waywayanda mountain in NJ and the insects were out in force. Lots of bugs swarming around my face. I can't comment on ticks on the trail, as I had treated my clothing, socks and boots with permethrin. At home in central NJ, I was starting yardwork a couple of weeks ago and reached into a shrub in a landscaped area in my yard and immediately found a tick on my forearm. I think the only thing the polar vortex did to the insect population was to cull the weak...

daddytwosticks
05-02-2014, 07:09
Down south here, in the lower elevations and valleys, I have noticed there are no chiggers as of yet. In past years, chiggers were causing havoc in early April. Maybe because of the very cold Jan and Feb this year? :)

harmonjazzman
05-02-2014, 08:13
I was out a week ago in Indiana for 2 days, and we found about 15 ticks on our 5 lb dog...poor guy's first hike. Only found one on myself though.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Coffee
05-02-2014, 08:31
I was on the trail between Rockfish Gap and Boiling Springs from April 16 to 28 and I only noticed insects in a few spots - mostly wet and at lower elevations. One location that had a lot of insects was near the Gravel Springs hut and spring in SNP, but I didn't camp there choosing instead to camp further down the trail at higher elevation. I also recall some insects near Manassas Gap. There probably would have been insects in the Cumberland Valley had it not been for the rain.

A few weeks from now I would expect the mid Atlantic parts of the trail to have plenty of insects... one of the reasons I like hiking in early spring and mid-late fall rather than summer around here.

Tipi Walter
05-02-2014, 08:39
Anyone know of predictions of ticks, mosquitoes, and other pesky bugs on the trail this spring?

Thoughts? Knowledge of this matter?

Not to sound snarky but it's not a relevant question if you're set on hitting the outdoors. Have to take the bad with the good. Ya can't let insects interfere with your plan to live outdoors. Standard load item is a good headnet, like Sea to Summit. I hate the little midges, aka noseeums. They are hard to see and cause itchy welts. For my May trip I'll be taking a headnet, some bug juice, a good sealable tent and a small box of stick incense. When lit in the tent vestibule it discourages the little motards.

RedBeerd
05-02-2014, 09:26
Already had a tick here in NY

slbirdnerd
05-02-2014, 09:29
I was down at Shawnee State Forest (in Ohio) two of the last 4 weekends and the ticks were a-plenty. Everyone I was with both weekends had them, but surprisingly, not me. Most were deer/black legged ticks or dog ticks, but last weekend I found a lonestar tick crawling up my tent. That was new. I treat my clothes with permethrin and had long pants on, I truly believe this helps. I live north of Columbus, Ohio and have no ticks yet--rural area, 3 dogs, outside a lot. I do think in my area the brutal winter has had an effect.

Spirit Walker
05-02-2014, 12:44
In PA the ticks are out. No worse than usual, but no better either.

jimmyjam
05-02-2014, 13:16
I was on the trail between Rockfish Gap and Boiling Springs from April 16 to 28 and I only noticed insects in a few spots - mostly wet and at lower elevations. One location that had a lot of insects was near the Gravel Springs hut and spring in SNP, but I didn't camp there choosing instead to camp further down the trail at higher elevation. I also recall some insects near Manassas Gap. There probably would have been insects in the Cumberland Valley had it not been for the rain.

A few weeks from now I would expect the mid Atlantic parts of the trail to have plenty of insects... one of the reasons I like hiking in early spring and mid-late fall rather than summer around here.

Yep I was out doing Big Meadows to Loft Mtn 3 weekends ago and I had plenty of gnats buzzing around my head at times. Bad enough for me to put on bug spray but not bad enough to pull out the head net. I saw no ticks but my clothes are treated from my shoes to my hat.

squeezebox
05-02-2014, 13:30
Last weekend I knocked off at least 10 ticks, not while walking or chopping trail, but when sitting down,
I've decided a short tick check after every break, pm, and am

stillatit
05-02-2014, 18:39
Thanks to all for the info. I don't know of any service for insect info like we have for weather; hence this post.

A word for Tipi Walter: be careful how you judge! "Not to sound snarky but it's not a relevant question if you're set on hitting the outdoors. Have to take the bad with the good. Ya can't let insects interfere with your plan to live outdoors."

As I've aged, I've developed some severe allergies to certain insect bites that I never had when I was younger. When I hike (for well over 30 years now, all over the country and even outside of it), that means taking along some bulky meds or have to bail from the trail. Understand now?

Have you heard of the ancient proverb, "He who responds to a matter before he has all the facts…"?

Slo-go'en
05-02-2014, 20:04
Have you heard of the ancient proverb, "He who responds to a matter before he has all the facts…"?

Maybe you should have included that info with the initial post?

jeffmeh
05-02-2014, 20:16
I suggest that we all settle down and ponder the future with our insect overlords. :)

Sarcasm the elf
05-02-2014, 20:30

He who walks sideways through airport turnstile...

I suggest that we all settle down and ponder the future with our insect overlords.

Fortunately their lack of proper lungs will keep insects from growing far beyond their current size, so there isn't much to fear from then. Now the duckbill platypus on the other hand, that's one we need to keep an eye on.

canoe
05-02-2014, 20:30
Hiked GA last week. No tics no chiggers. only a few black flys

Sarcasm the elf
05-02-2014, 20:38
The ticks are out in full force in Connecticut already I'm pulling a dozen or so off the dogs each week (and I'm already on doxycycline thanks to a deer-tick that gifted me with a bullseye rash a few weeks ago :mad:). I haven't seen many mosquitos or other biting insects just yet, but they should be showing up soon, especially with all the recent rain we've had.

Wise Old Owl
05-02-2014, 20:42
Down south here, in the lower elevations and valleys, I have noticed there are no chiggers as of yet. In past years, chiggers were causing havoc in early April. Maybe because of the very cold Jan and Feb this year? :)

Not Likely - no change in service calls this year vs last.

Adriana
05-02-2014, 23:04
They are out in Georgia. We did a quick hike ladt weekend from 3 Forks to Long Creek Falls a d sat on the ground for a picnic lunch. I found 2 ticks on myself and 6 on the dog.