PDA

View Full Version : Returing From Hike

DeerFriend
05-02-2014, 17:29
Hi everyone, I am new here and am planning a 2015 thru-hike. In terms of being prepared for the trail I am not very concerned--done enough backpacking to know what to expect. What actually has me wondering more is how people make the transition back to post-trail life. I would be interested in hearing how some of you who have done long thru-hikes before got back into the working world, etc. I wonder about coming back 'home' and not having a place to stay or a job. What are other people's experience with this? Luckily I do have friends and family that would probably temporarily support me when I get back but these logistical details are what I am thinking about most with this hike so far.

Probably a somewhat boring topic but what are other people's experiences/recommendations about returning from a hike?

Slo-go'en
05-02-2014, 20:19
This subject has been talked about a lot, though it might be a little difficult to find the threads.

Of course, it depends on the individual and there is a lot of variation with age. The late 20 somethings (such as yourself) seem to have the most trouble. Older folks are more settled (and often already retired, so it's of little consequence) Kids just out of school are about to enter the work force (hopefully) so the hike is just a transition between school and a career. If your early middle aged and don't have a home or job to come back to and spent all your money on the hike, that's really tough.

fiddlehead
05-02-2014, 20:37
When you come back from a thru-hike, especially your first one, you are a different person.
You find out what's important in life. and it's not the same as what you thought when you started.
So, you look at life from another angle.
You might decide to become an outdoor writer
Or a guide
Filmaker?
Work for a company that makes, designs, or sells outdoor equipment
Go back to school and learn something like botany, or eco-planning, pollution control, etc.

So, go do your hike, and there will be lots of time to think.
And many change their ways afterwards.
Perhaps you'll be one of them.
It's all good.