PDA

View Full Version : TP rolls

Just Jeff
09-23-2005, 12:20
So I was sitting on my throne this morning (:eek:)and I realize how many cardboard TP rolls we go through in a month. Astounding.

Anyway, I figured there has to be something I can make out of them for hiking. :-? A few quick ideas and still nothing useful. :datz

- Squash them flat and slide your cracker packs inside so they don't get squashed. Not sure unsquashed crackers are worth the trouble and weight, though.
- Obviously could be used as firestarter, but I already carry a candle and dryer lint, so no need there.
- Stiffener for a brim or something...wouldn't work once it got wet.

What can you guys think of? I guess paper towel rolls are fair game, too...

12hrsN2AT
09-23-2005, 12:27
If you can roll your tyvek groundcloth small enough it will fit inside. Now I use a rubberband.

Alligator
09-23-2005, 12:38
Put a banana in them:banana .

They make good candle molds, but that's not BP related.

bulldog49
09-23-2005, 13:27
Coat the inside with some lubrication and........... ;)

Bolo
09-23-2005, 13:30
[QUOTE=Just Jeff]So I was sitting on my throne this morning (:eek:)and I realize how many cardboard TP rolls we go through in a month. Astounding.
QUOTE]

You're actually counting?:rolleyes:

Bolo

Alligator
09-23-2005, 13:38
Maybe for the paper towel roll :eek: .

Two eggs.

Only moderately serious here though.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-23-2005, 14:09
- Obviously could be used as firestarter, but I already carry a candle and dryer lint, so no need there.
Actually, I was thinking, if you collect enough of them, you can cram a bunch inside one and dip the whole mess in wax (let it flow out through the holes) and you'd have a crap load of firestarter.

Tha Wookie
09-23-2005, 14:12
Jeff,

I save them for the wood stove in the winter. They make excellent firestarters.

Alligator
09-23-2005, 14:20
Hot bananas are too.

Smile
09-23-2005, 14:41
Just Jeff:
Maybe off subject, but the dryer lint you carry.......how do you carry it?

I usually stuff mine in one section of a paper egg crate and pour old wax from dying candles in there with it, it's amazing how much lint you can get into one of those little spaces when hot wax is added, these burn for a long time and are super easy to lite....

Tha Wookie
09-23-2005, 16:57
Just Jeff:
Maybe off subject, but the dryer lint you carry.......how do you carry it?

I usually stuff mine in one section of a paper egg crate and pour old wax from dying candles in there with it, it's amazing how much lint you can get into one of those little spaces when hot wax is added, these burn for a long time and are super easy to lite....
Nice idea!!

Just Jeff
09-23-2005, 20:28
I stick a big ole-handful of dryer lint in a sandwich bag with a tea candle and a book of matches.

I haven't tried the egg crate yet, but I think about it from time to time. Do they get brittle and crack in your pack? Or mushy and stuck together?

Alligator
09-23-2005, 21:22
I stick a big ole-handful of dryer lint in a sandwich bag with a tea candle and a book of matches.

I haven't tried the egg crate yet, but I think about it from time to time. Do they get brittle and crack in your pack? Or mushy and stuck together?You peel the lint/wax out of the egg crate, like an ice cube.

Nightwalker
09-24-2005, 00:57
Different method, same subject.

I use a small medicine bottle, some cotton balls and some vaseline. Tear the cotton balls in half. Put a layer of vaseline in the bottle, then a layer of cotton balls, squishing them together as you go. A bottle full weighs a couple of ounces and makes a LOT of fires, like a whole season for me last year.

Fire-cotton burns really, really hot for about 90 seconds and will catch up anything over it that'll burn, even somewhat damp stuff. It makes the easiest fire of any way that I've ever used.

Well, maybe except for that night that I found that 15-year-old MSR bottle of white gas out on the trail. I figured it'd be unstable by that time, and the wood was damp, and I was cold and...

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2005, 01:19
I jist use a little a wad of TP and some olive oil for a fire starter.

it UR a real conservative U kin use used TP and Olive oil for ur fire starter. :eek:

Just Jeff
09-24-2005, 01:42
it UR a real conservative U kin use used TP and Olive oil for ur fire starter. :eek:
Eh...no. Ain't happenin.

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2005, 02:02
Eh...no. Ain't happenin.

Leave NO trace ;)

neo
09-24-2005, 04:55
no comment:cool: neo

Seeker
09-27-2005, 01:09
[QUOTE=Just Jeff]So I was sitting on my throne this morning (:eek:)and I realize how many cardboard TP rolls we go through in a month. Astounding.
QUOTE]

You're actually counting?:rolleyes:

Bolo
hey! i do too! (must be an ultralighters thing, eh jeff?) but i'm more astounded by the difference when i'm home alone sometimes (summer vacation, e.g.) vs the number we go through when my wife and daughters are here... probably use 2-3x what i would use alone, each... they use tp for everything... nail polish remover, makeup remover, tissue, clean eye glasses with, etc...

at least my youngest recycles the tubes... she uses them to make party favors with-candies/chocolates inside, with tissue paper and a ribbon decorating the outside.

can't think of anything hiking related, 'cept maybe like someone said for making firestarters from... cut the tube lengthwise, fit a bunch together, dip in wax, cut segments off like disks off a log.

frieden
10-08-2005, 21:15
I use them for kitty toys.

Hiker related? I'll have to think about that.

SGT Rock
10-08-2005, 21:38
So I was sitting on my throne this morning (:eek:)and I realize how many cardboard TP rolls we go through in a month. Astounding.

Anyway, I figured there has to be something I can make out of them for hiking. :-? A few quick ideas and still nothing useful. :datz

- Squash them flat and slide your cracker packs inside so they don't get squashed. Not sure unsquashed crackers are worth the trouble and weight, though.
- Stiffener for a brim or something...wouldn't work once it got wet.

What can you guys think of? I guess paper towel rolls are fair game, too...
Actually my technique is to leave the roll un-torn on the outside and pull the cardboard from the center and then put it into a zip-lock. Then the part you pull from comes from the center and it makes the paper pack better, feed better for a backpacker, and weigh less. The tubes are good for starting a fire.

saimyoji
10-08-2005, 23:09
I used a bunch of them rolls to make a toy for my littl'un. Imagine this but made of cardboard TP rolls:

http://www.creating-spaces.com/CS%20MEDIA/CS%20photos%20web/shopworks/marble-run.jpg