PDA

View Full Version : Baxter postpones some campground openings until 5/22/14

TJ aka Teej
05-02-2014, 18:29
Baxter has announced the postponement of the opening of the Roaring Brook Campground, Russell Pond campground and all backcountry sites accessed from the Roaring Brook Road (including Martin Pond and Katahdin Lake), until Thursday, May 22.

The openings of the Fowler Pond Area, Trout Brook Farm, and the South Branch Pond Campgrounds will also be delayed.

Starchild
05-02-2014, 18:43
Well thanks, but is there a reason that you can share?

TJ aka Teej
05-02-2014, 19:08
Roads, mostly. The ground hasn't thawed, it's more like April 2nd than May 2nd.

Jeff
05-02-2014, 20:05
When will SOBO's be able to climb Katahdin?

Slo-go'en
05-02-2014, 20:24
I think there is still a lot of snow up there. It keeps coming and going here in the Whites.

The June 1st starters will likely have a rough couple of weeks in northern Maine. Doing those three big fords in the 100 MW should be exciting!

TJ aka Teej
05-02-2014, 20:52
Too soon to tell, Jeff. Lots of snow and ice on the tableland still.
This is the latest spring I've seen in a long time.
Recent history, Abol usually opens first:
'13 May 24th
'12 May 20th
'11 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol open Memorial day weekend.
'10 May 25th
'09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol
'08 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol and Hunt open May 29th.
'07 May 31st

peakbagger
05-03-2014, 07:50
The main road through the park is also a snowmachine trail. The snow gets compacted into ice over the winter which takes far longer to melt than uncompacted snow. The ice also acts to keep the frost in the ground. Frequently the last thing to melt out will be the road. The roads are also quite narrow lined with softwoods so the sun doesn't get in there to help. Until the road melts out completely and the underlying frost melts, the roads are impassable and thus the campgrounds can not be accessed by park vehicles and the campgrounds stay closed. Roaring brook road is not a public snowmachine trail but it is used by the wardens and a lot of ski traffic. Conceivably, the trails to the summit can be open before the campgrounds can be open.

rafe
05-03-2014, 20:08
I think there is still a lot of snow up there. It keeps coming and going here in the Whites.

The June 1st starters will likely have a rough couple of weeks in northern Maine. Doing those three big fords in the 100 MW should be exciting!

Just got back from a hike up Whiteface Mtn., on the southern edge of the Whites, just south of the Kanc. Snow line is around 3000 feet. Traction devices still useful on the last mile or so approaching the summit. We left the snowshoes behind and climbed to the summit without microspikes or crampons. We used them on the descent -- it would have been brutal without them. Snow at the summit about 2 feet deep in the woods where it's shady. Where there's direct sunlight on rock ledges, the snow's all gone.

joshuasdad
05-04-2014, 08:33
To add to Rafe, on Mousilauke, pine forest above 2500=snow/ice, 2 to 5 feet if higher elevation and/or north facing. In contrast, the wind scours the bald summit areas clear of snow. I would think that Abol trail to top would be open soon, as it a slide area bare of vegetation. Not the AT, but should "count" as the safer alternative. Whether the road will open soon is another question...

Sonic11
05-04-2014, 13:44
I'm planning on hiking through the last half of the Hundred Mile Wilderness the first week of June. If all were to go as planned, we'd start on June 2nd and summit Katahdin on June 5th. Any idea if the current thaw puts our dates in jeopardy?

Slo-go'en
05-04-2014, 14:30
I'm planning on hiking through the last half of the Hundred Mile Wilderness the first week of June. If all were to go as planned, we'd start on June 2nd and summit Katahdin on June 5th. Any idea if the current thaw puts our dates in jeopardy?

It's really tough to say at this point. A lot can change in a month. We'll just have to wait and see how the rest of this month pans out. If it rains a lot towards the end of the month, expect really soggy trails through Maine. That's why I'm headed for Viriginia to hike in a couple of weeks....

Sonic11
05-04-2014, 19:38
It's really tough to say at this point. A lot can change in a month. We'll just have to wait and see how the rest of this month pans out. If it rains a lot towards the end of the month, expect really soggy trails through Maine. That's why I'm headed for Viriginia to hike in a couple of weeks....

Thanks. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Have fun in Virginia!

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2014, 21:34
Add Abol and Katahdin Stream campgrounds to the delayed opening list.

TwoSpirits
05-11-2014, 14:55
Wow. But I guess I can't be surprised; it was a wicked winter and spring is taking her time. I hope KSC will be open in time for my attempt on June 7th

Sonic11
05-24-2014, 09:58
I saw on the Baxter State Park website that many of the campgrounds are open or will soon open as are many of the access roads. It notes that the Katahdin trailheads are still closed. I'm scheduled to hike up Hunt Trail with a few friends to Baxter Summit on June 5th. Any risk that it will still be closed by then?