PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Says Hi

Sierra2015
05-03-2014, 03:04
Hi everyone! This may not warrant a thread... hope you guys don't mind this kind of silly post.

To you all who sent me concerned PMs, thank you! Yeah, my life has been super crazy. I've been working 50+ hours at my job, plus working as a live-in, plus going to school full-time to bone up on my maths, plus getting ready to move.

First, (and the reason why this thread is in this section) I've decided not to thru-hike 2015. Slo-go-in talked me out of it, lol. I can't risk my dog's health and I also can't pass her onto someone else for 5 months. At least, not in 2015.

Second, I made a last minute decision to not move to Nashville. I was planning to really focus on getting a career going in a more affordable city and maybe get a viable degree part-time, but I've decided to really buckle down instead and narrow my focus. One of my good college friends (and also my hiking buddy) is going to grad school in Virginia this fall. (FYI, anyone in school getting a psychology degree... don't. I know four people working crap jobs with that degree. It's a waste of time and money.) Anyway, she invited me to go with her.... And turns out the school has rolling admissions.

And guess what? I'm moving within spitting distance to the AT!

I gave notice to my work, bought a trailer, packed it tight, and I'm ready to go. As soon as I'm done with classes I'll be hitting the road.

Tuckahoe
05-03-2014, 06:30
I am glad to hear all is well. And welcome to Virginia!!

Now that you will be so close to the AT, you and your dog can get in plenty of hiking. And now so close I fully expect an onslaught of Hikermom playing matchmaker:p

HikerMom58
05-03-2014, 08:24
I am glad to hear all is well. And welcome to Virginia!!

Now that you will be so close to the AT, you and your dog can get in plenty of hiking. And now so close I fully expect an onslaught of Hikermom playing matchmaker:p

Ahhh ha ha!! You got that right Tuck!! :P This is what amazes me- I haven't met many of you guys but i feel like y'all know me oh soo well. Watch out Tuck, you are on "the list". ;)

JK Sierra!

Sierra...........Girl, it's sooo good to hear from you! I knew you'd be back, but I had no idea you'd be moving to VA.. Wooo Hooo!! My mind is racing as to where in VA. I've got my ideas & if I'm "lucky" you wouldn't be far from meee!!

Have a safe move!! I'm soo pumped! :banana I can see a welcome party/hike to welcome Sierra to VA., in our future. Come one, come all!!

Meriadoc
05-03-2014, 10:25
Hi Sierra!

Follow your heart. use your head. :)

May things continue to work out for you.

And enjoy those highlands in VA! Should you find the time there are a number of good backpacking groups in the area. DC UL Backpackers on meetup is one of my favorite and they go all over.

Deer Hunter
05-03-2014, 14:09
Welcome to Va., Sierra. :) I hope you end up loving it as much as I do.

Dogwood
05-03-2014, 14:22
Don't know your end game by obtaining a Psych degree but I've seen several friends w/ undergrad(B.S. Psychology) that were disappointed w/ their limited rather modest paying job opps w/ just an undergraduate degree in that major. Those are their words. Two went on to get additional degrees. One obtained their post grad in Psych and another obtained a law degree and are now satisfied w/ their educational career paths. The other one who stopped w/ the undergrad Psychology is at a state gov't job making less than $35k/yr and basically hates it.

Dogwood
05-03-2014, 14:25
I would classify undergrad degrees in sociology, biz, biz admin, etc in that same category. It might be best to go on to a post grad degree in those types of majors or obtain additional degrees or education to maixmize job opps. It depends on what you're lokking to accomplish though.

MDSection12
05-03-2014, 14:54
Don't know your end game by obtaining a Psych degree but I've seen several friends w/ undergrad(B.S. Psychology) that were disappointed w/ their limited rather modest paying job opps w/ just an undergraduate degree in that major. Those are their words. Two went on to get additional degrees. One obtained their post grad in Psych and another obtained a law degree and are now satisfied w/ their educational career paths. The other one who stopped w/ the undergrad Psychology is at a state gov't job making less than $35k/yr and basically hates it.
What are you responding to? She just said that she wouldn't recommend a psych degree, not that she was looking into one...

But for the record, I have an undergrad psych degree and did pretty well in sales for five years. I'm back in school for a teaching certificate/masters program, but I was living well before. In fact my masters will net me a pay cut. :p

likeahike
05-03-2014, 16:01
Changed plans followed by changed actions, way to go Sierra! Good to hear from you and much luck in your move to VA. Look out for that HikerMom person, bet she already has prospects lined up for you.

Know what you mean about psychology degrees, a close friend has her masters and she's doing really well as a massage therapist, 'nuff said.

BTW, don't go spitting on the AT, the purists may come after you.

Astro
05-03-2014, 21:34
I would classify undergrad degrees in sociology, biz, biz admin, etc in that same category. It might be best to go on to a post grad degree in those types of majors or obtain additional degrees or education to maixmize job opps. It depends on what you're lokking to accomplish though.

I would not include Business Degrees in Accounting or MIS (Management Information Systems) in that category. At a good university you can come out making close to the same as engineers and computer science. And I believe an MBA is much more valuable if you have some real life business experience (plus you can get your company to pay for it).

Venchka
05-03-2014, 22:15
Or...
You could learn how to weld and move to Texas.
Good luck Sierra.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Dogwood
05-04-2014, 16:37
Under grad Psych degree and you went into sales? Hmmm? Nuff said. Getting further Psych education gaining a Masters in Psych and you're willing to take a pay cut? Hmmm? Now, I see why you're a Psych major. Smiley.

Dogwood
05-04-2014, 16:38
Did not say anything about Accounting Degrees.

MDSection12
05-04-2014, 18:18
Under grad Psych degree and you went into sales? Hmmm? Nuff said. Getting further Psych education gaining a Masters in Psych and you're willing to take a pay cut? Hmmm? Now, I see why you're a Psych major. Smiley.
The psych degree didn't help me in sales more than just about any other degree would have, but all the sales jobs I had required degrees of some kind so it wasn't totally useless. :p

My master's won't be in psych, but in education. It's like psych, except no one knows what they're talking about and you hug a lot more. :-?

Education isn't all about pay. I'm a resourceful guy, if money were my only goal I wouldn't have bothered with education at all. ;)

Kookork
05-04-2014, 20:36
The trail will wait for you Sieraa as the trail has been waiting for me for some years already and last time I checked the trail was still there.