PDA

View Full Version : dehydrating without a dehydrator

misterfloyd
05-03-2014, 10:43
Hello to all,

As my time approaches for me to go shopping for a months worth of food, BTW I hate shopping, I'm really trying to go over my food list for weight, money, and ease of preparation at home and in the field. I leave June 11th so expect more questions :)

My question is how many have tried to dehydrate with a standard oven? I have looked at the suggested places for a cheap deyhydrater and did not find one.

Is it possible? What can be made?

If anyone can share this intel, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your kind posts, they are more hopeful than you know.

Best Regards,
Floyd

Tuckahoe
05-03-2014, 11:05
Long before I ever had dehydrators I used the oven. The lowest setting is 150 to 175 degrees and I would set the oven to that 150 degree setting. Also used to put a spoon to keep the oven door cracked a little.

I used cookie sheets as trays and often lined them with wax paper. Just make sure to flip what you're drying a few times so that it's dried all around.

Rocket Jones
05-03-2014, 15:06
+1 on using the oven. Lowest setting, prop the door open with a wooden spoon for a little air circulation. Use cookie sheets. Parchment paper works better than wax paper for liners.

misterfloyd
05-04-2014, 11:27
Thanks guys,

I thought that may be the case. I could of swore I saw a recipe for beef jerky, either in this forum or the other food one. If possible could someone point it out to me. I will look as well.

Have any of you dried it with fruits as well?

I like making my own stuff, and I don't mind cooking and the prep work. I just have 30 days worth of food to get going with.

Would this work with store bought items such as spam, chicken in foil pouches as well. There is a great deal of water weight and as long as I can reconstitute it, I'm good.

I'm just trying to reduce food weight and learn how this can be done on your own.

Always learning, and enjoying it.

Thank you to all
Floyd

misterfloyd
05-04-2014, 11:42
Thanks guys,

I thought that may be the case. I could of swore I saw a recipe for beef jerky, either in this forum or the other food one. If possible could someone point it out to me. I will look as well.

Have any of you dried it with fruits as well?

I like making my own stuff, and I don't mind cooking and the prep work. I just have 30 days worth of food to get going with.

Would this work with store bought items such as spam, chicken in foil pouches as well. There is a great deal of water weight and as long as I can reconstitute it, I'm good.

I'm just trying to reduce food weight and learn how this can be done on your own.

Always learning, and enjoying it.

Thank you to all
Floyd

kayak karl
05-04-2014, 13:02
could also go solar (https://www.google.com/search?q=solar+dehydrator&client=firefox-a&hs=bV1&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=cnJmU8_XOcfNsQT1uYJg&ved=0CGEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=678)

Spirit Walker
05-04-2014, 13:05
I've used the oven to dehydrate salsa and spaghetti sauce. It works well.

leatherwheels
05-04-2014, 15:48
How long would it typically take to dehydrate spaghetti sauce or something like ground beef using the oven. Reading that this is a possibility without immediately purchasing a dehydrator has me interested in trying this also. How do you know if something is completely dehydrated before going too far and ruining it?