PDA

View Full Version : 571.2 (2013 guide) VA 623

ChinMusic
05-03-2014, 19:07
I asked in another thread about Walker Gap. Now I want to know about VA 623. I'm planning a short hike tomorrow ending at VA 623. My wife would meet me there. After my hike I would like to
set up my grill and do some trail magic.

Is is that crossing doable for trail magic? I need to know by morning so I can buy supplies.

HikerMom58
05-03-2014, 19:46
I'll find out for ya... hold on!

HikerMom58
05-03-2014, 20:04
Okay... I got it. I tried to drive up there to meet rather go up, a few years ago. I couldn't reach the trail crossing b/c of a blow down. The road was fine for our Highlander. (road was in good shape) I think we were close to the trail crossing when we had to turn around. I'd say you could do some TM there, no prob.

There's another way to get to that road crossing coming from Burkes Garden as well.

I went to another road crossing not far from there but I can't remember exactly which one it was ---it may have been 580.0 Laural Creek crossing VA 615. That would work for you as well.

Rather go up might remember exactly where he left his bike.....IDK for sure.

Alligator
05-03-2014, 23:18
I drove out of Burkes Garden on that road once. I don't remember getting a good look at where to park but my older Appalachian Pages lists a parking area, the map does too. It's a forest road, passable but really windy coming out of the bowl off the ridge and south, making for a slow ride. Forest roads don't bother me to drive but I will never go that way again. It's twisty and aggravating. Use the north entrance to get into the BG. If you are having a small operation I think you would be ok there. But if you couldn't there is room at Walker Gap and the 615 crossing although by 615 has had some routing changes and I don't know how it's been laid out. You could shoot over to those if needed.

ChinMusic
05-03-2014, 23:23
Thanks. I'll take a look at both Walker and 623 tomorrow. I'll walk to whichever looks best to set up.

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-04-2014, 06:00
CM---Recalling my field notes from a late April Saturday morning, 2013 (filed elsewhere), I logged 28 minutes and 7.5 miles from VA 42 to the AT crossing. There are a number of tight switchbacks and it's narrow in places, but this is a county public road so it's subject to more regular maintenance than some Forest Service roads. So, in my old Mazda pickup, it was a 1st and 2nd gear ascent, bumpy in places, but overall a very pleasant and easy drive. Loads of parking at the crossing. I have read Trailjournals of folks car-camping there, and I understand why. Nice spot. AO

ChinMusic
05-04-2014, 13:13
Parked at 623 and have my grill set up. What a nice spot with beautiful weather. Now, I wait for hikers. If none show up I'll just have an awesome picnic.

ChinMusic
05-04-2014, 21:11
Cooked 20 burgers, 16 hotdogs, asparagus and corn for a LOT of hikers. Cedar Tree joined me for the afternoon.

Ken.davidson
05-04-2014, 23:00
I am confident that the hikers you fed will remember your kindness for years. I remember all of my trail angels.

Thanks,
Ken
http://www.trailjournals.com/Sidewinder2013

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-05-2014, 10:01
Yes, that is a very nice spot, CM. With the trees not yet fully leafed out, the views on each side are nice.

Glad you got up there, enjoyed it, and provided what must have been something of a surprise in the Trail Magic arena. My guess is Va 623 doesn't see too much of that. AO.

Cedar Tree
05-05-2014, 12:01
good burgers and good times. Thanks for including me Chin Music.
CT