PDA

View Full Version : bag liner

McFrancis
05-03-2014, 19:49
ho
as anyone used just a .bag linero a hike

ryanwflynn
05-03-2014, 20:32
Of course. Added warmth with your bag on cold days and perfect on hot summer Virginia days. Also good for sketchy hostel beds, random couches, etc...I keep mine in my day bag in non-trail life in case I need to crash somewhere. -NPR

Venchka
05-03-2014, 20:36
I did. Once. It was ok at low elevations in Idaho and Wyoming. I froze in Grand Teton & Yellowstone N.P. in mid July. Lesson learned: take real sleeping gear.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

shakey_snake
05-04-2014, 00:49
It can give you some flexibility, but if you're made of money: it's always lighter to have the appropriate sleeping bag.

ScareBear
05-04-2014, 05:09
I use the rectangular model as a liner for my summer bag, just in case. On nights that are 65 degrees or warmer, I sleep in this on top of my summer bag. It adds practically no weight, at under 5 ounces. With my insulated air mat, I am comfortable sleeping in only the liner on 65+ degree nights. In fact, I won't bring my summer bag unless it is going to get below 60 degrees, I will just wear tshirt, underwear and socks in the liner. If you had a 1 lb down top quilt, this liner, and an insulated air mat, you would be good to go down to at least 50 degrees if not colder. Trailpartner is convinced this liner added 10 degrees to her bag when it was 25 degrees out... http://www.amazon.com/Micro--Silk-Sleeping-Liner-mummy/dp/B00BYMIGVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1399194136&sr=1-1

wnderer
05-04-2014, 11:10
I have the Thermolite Reactor. I use it for a summer bag and bring it along as an emergency winter bag extender. I've never had to use it in the winter. It's great in the summer. It's light and really really roomy.

misterfloyd
05-04-2014, 11:18
Has anyone tried to make one of their own?

McFrancis
05-06-2014, 12:55
What temperature range would you recommend?

Josh Calhoun
05-06-2014, 15:03
i picked one up in erwin TN and actually carried it my whole hike. in the summer it was nice to just use it when it was to hot for my 20 degree bag.

SunnyWalker
05-06-2014, 15:41
I use a Sea to Summit Sleeping Bag Liner (Silk/Cotton Blend). For warm nights its great. However, I really got it to protect my bag from my dirty self and clothes.

Busky2
05-06-2014, 17:36
A woman from Montana that started 4/8 at the Falls NB dumped her Bag and went with two liners instead after mailing stuff home from Neels Gap. She is tougher than me. I asked her about the weather on her home planet and if she liked it here on Earth, got a bit of a smile. She was having a bag sent to the Dam for the Smokies but she was warm enough in Ga and NC.

RedBeerd
05-06-2014, 17:52
Don't add any real warmth..dead weight IMO. Rather boil up some water to sleep with.

Weather-man
05-06-2014, 21:40
Don't add any real warmth..dead weight IMO. Rather boil up some water to sleep with.

Same thought. I'd choose a light weight bivy before I carried a bag liner. Bivy adds real warmth, protection from rain and helps keep the bag clean, in shelters or otherwise.

stillatit
05-07-2014, 17:11
Last spring I bought a flannel 50℉ bag/liner @ Dick's Sporting Goods. There was a thread here on the topic, and one of the posters worked at Dick's and recommended it. It is quite light, small, well-made, and I've been delighted with it. The kicker is that it was only $19. It's been one of the best backpacking buys of my life and I've been hiking for over 30 years.
:)

saltysack
05-07-2014, 23:15
Last spring I bought a flannel 50 bag/liner @ Dick's Sporting Goods. There was a thread here on the topic, and one of the posters worked at Dick's and recommended it. It is quite light, small, well-made, and I've been delighted with it. The kicker is that it was only $19. It's been one of the best backpacking buys of my life and I've been hiking for over 30 years.
:)

Looked on web ...don't see anymore:(who is manufacture as im looking for cheap light summer option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theosus
05-09-2014, 22:34
Has anyone tried to make one of their own?

I bought a texsport sleeping bag from dicks or amazon, can't remember. It is a thin fleece thing for about 20$ that claims to be a 55 degree bag.

I cut the zipper off, threw it out and pinned it up into a tapered shape, more mummy-ish. I sewed the bottom three feet together, and ran a seam around the stuff I cut, to keep it from pulling apart. it's easy to wash if it gets funky, and feels so much better than sleeping on plain old nylon. It goes with me on every trip.

Theosus
05-09-2014, 22:37
Looked on web ...don't see anymore:(who is manufacture as im looking for cheap light summer option

http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Colors/dp/B001916XG4/ref=sr_1_15/191-4217068-0962415?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1399689315&sr=1-15&keywords=texsport

Heres the one I used. Dicks was $15 but didn't have to pay shipping. I had two, still have one with the zipper on it somewhere.

AllDownhillFromHere
05-09-2014, 23:34
I have a silk liner for mine, supposedly it adds 9 degrees. It's REALLY good at keeping funk out of your bag, and also doubles as a (very) lightweight bag for those 95 degree summer nights (PA & NJ, I'm looking at you). Packs super tight, weighs only a few ounces.

saltysack
05-10-2014, 13:46
http://www.amazon.com/Texsport-Fleece-Sleeping-Bag-Colors/dp/B001916XG4/ref=sr_1_15/191-4217068-0962415?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1399689315&sr=1-15&keywords=texsport

Heres the one I used. Dicks was $15 but didn't have to pay shipping. I had two, still have one with the zipper on it somewhere.

Is this more substantial than a sea to summit reactor? I have a reactor but don't think it's sufficient as a stand alone as it's paper thin.

stillatit
05-10-2014, 15:30
Saltysack et al.:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner––too busy to get on this site regularly. I got it out and checked. First, it's fleece, not flannel (they feel the same to me, so I often mean one when it's the other). Also, I think IT WAS only $14.99 at Dick's. I looked for that WB post from last year. It was sometime in spring, but I can't find it. I also cannot find any manufacturer's tag on the bag. It must be some off brand. My zipper's been fine. I wish I'd known that Dick's wasn't going to continue carrying them. I would have bought 3 or 4. So far it's held up well. It comes in a little sack of 3 parts: fleece on the bottom end (same color as the bag) then stuff sack black material, then mesh in the center, then back to stuff sack black with a draw string at the top. I took it on a trail crew weekend and used it a few weeks ago. Nearly all the trail crew were old-timers with many years experience and they were impressed with it.

I wish you the best in finding this apparently now discontinued item. It does seem like certain great gear appears only to disappear forever, like those excellent Desert Rat Hats that Sequel put out years ago. Must be the backpacking version of Murphy's Law or something!

Sorry I can't be more help...

saltysack
05-10-2014, 19:03
Saltysack et al.:

Sorry I didn't get back sooner––too busy to get on this site regularly. I got it out and checked. First, it's fleece, not flannel (they feel the same to me, so I often mean one when it's the other). Also, I think IT WAS only $14.99 at Dick's. I looked for that WB post from last year. It was sometime in spring, but I can't find it. I also cannot find any manufacturer's tag on the bag. It must be some off brand. My zipper's been fine. I wish I'd known that Dick's wasn't going to continue carrying them. I would have bought 3 or 4. So far it's held up well. It comes in a little sack of 3 parts: fleece on the bottom end (same color as the bag) then stuff sack black material, then mesh in the center, then back to stuff sack black with a draw string at the top. I took it on a trail crew weekend and used it a few weeks ago. Nearly all the trail crew were old-timers with many years experience and they were impressed with it.

I wish you the best in finding this apparently now discontinued item. It does seem like certain great gear appears only to disappear forever, like those excellent Desert Rat Hats that Sequel put out years ago. Must be the backpacking version of Murphy's Law or something!

Sorry I can't be more help...

No worries...Theosus sent link at amazon of a texsport that seems similar to yours both $$ and weighs just over 1lb.. Look above to see if same thing

Theosus
05-11-2014, 20:10
Is this more substantial than a sea to summit reactor? I have a reactor but don't think it's sufficient as a stand alone as it's paper thin.

I don't have a sea to summit...so I don't know how they compare. This thing is pretty thin. It was labeled as a 55 degree sleeping bag, but I think they meant, if its fifty-five degrees it will keep you from freezing to death.
I just use it in the winter as a liner, but it would probably be okay in the hammock in the summer at night. I might just convert my other one too, they would be much smaller and lighter together than anything else I have; as long as the summer temp didn't get below 60 they would work fine.

Del Q
05-11-2014, 21:17
I like mine, when it is cold I pack one, super light, mine is a western mountaineering line, more like a fancy bag with aluminum foil, weird thing on my last hike where the temperatures ranged from 10 degrees to 85 degrees, I seemed to be as warm with it inside of my bag vs me being in it, inside of my bag. The reflectivity worked GREAT.

To me it is a good 10+ degree advantage when facing possibly COLD nights, as a section hiker and two week hikes, no telling what the weather will be.

Del Q
05-11-2014, 21:24
I like mine, when it is cold I pack one, super light, mine is a western mountaineering line, more like a fancy bag with aluminum foil, weird thing on my last hike where the temperatures ranged from 10 degrees to 85 degrees, I seemed to be as warm with it inside of my bag vs me being in it, inside of my bag. The reflectivity worked GREAT.

To me it is a good 10+ degree advantage when facing possibly COLD nights, as a section hiker and two week hikes, no telling what the weather will be.