PDA

View Full Version : Charging a Ipod Suggestions

Ronbo17
05-04-2014, 11:56
Can anyone suggest a good way to charge a Ipod/ smartphone while on a multi day hike? Solar Charger?

pyro_
05-04-2014, 13:02
I like my limefuel USB battery charger. I have one of the larger ones and it is good for at least a week and a half

magneto
05-04-2014, 15:32
Brunton Hydrogen Reactor - hydrogen fuel cell. I got one and it does work. Combine with a Mophie battery case for extra-long life.

njburg
05-04-2014, 19:39
I picked up a Brunton Pulse 1500 2 weeks ago, and have used it at home to charge my Casio G'zOne Commando with the larger battery, and have been happy with it so far. I let the phone go to low battery and the Brunton charged it fully. I haven't used it for my iPod yet.
The charger is 1.9 oz.

Sarcasm the elf
05-04-2014, 19:52
I carry a iphone and an ipod shuffle. The phone is for making phone calls/ checking email/ checking the weather and is turned off unless I am actively using it, the shuffle is for music. As long as I keep an eye on how much I use each of them, I can easily go 5-7 days without recharging either and I just charge them when I get into town.

Rocket Jones
05-04-2014, 20:18
I carry a Sansa mp3 player that uses a single AAA battery.

WahooBackpacker
05-09-2014, 04:20
I'm not sure of the weight of this or how much I'll use it, but I'm always looking for cool stuff on Kickstarter so I'm waiting for this lightweight solar panel to come in the mail. I'll let you know when I get it if it's long distance worthy or just another silly day at the beach toy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1349306815/strongvolt-smartcharger-the-most-advanced-solar-ch

FarmerChef
05-09-2014, 09:13
Not sure how many days your hiking. If you won't be making any town stops or can't stop into town for an hour for a snack, lunch, whatever then one of the carry chargers can work well but at a heavy weight penalty. Otherwise, if you remember to turn your phone on airplane mode, it will last for several days of music playing/photo taking. Just remember to close apps you aren't using when you're done. If you will pass by towns, just carry the USB cable and the wall wart. It's fairly light and gives you juice from any outlet (except the ones in privies). :P

Paul Huber
05-25-2014, 11:40
I use a Mophie battery pack to charge everything from phone to camera. Not light, but I love my camera and take a lot of pictures.

Violent Green
05-25-2014, 23:05
A battery pack will last you several, several days without relying on the sun, plus provide it at less weight & bulk. Cheaper too. Mine is 5.9oz and stores 10,200mAh of juice. Which works out to recharging my iPhone 6x.

Ryan

Starvin Marvin
05-27-2014, 09:39
[QUOTE=Violent Green;1880220]A battery pack will last you several, several days without relying on the sun, plus provide it at less weight & bulk. Cheaper too. Mine is 5.9oz and stores 10,200mAh of juice. Which works out to recharging my iPhone 6x.

Which one do you have and how long does it take to charge the pack?

Violent Green
06-20-2014, 14:04
[QUOTE=Violent Green;1880220]A battery pack will last you several, several days without relying on the sun, plus provide it at less weight & bulk. Cheaper too. Mine is 5.9oz and stores 10,200mAh of juice. Which works out to recharging my iPhone 6x.

Which one do you have and how long does it take to charge the pack?

Sorry, missed this question. I use (3) 18650 batteries and a HuanGao battery pack/charger. I haven't tested how long it takes to charge. It will only charge each battery one at a time so it probably takes longer than some others. I also have an ENB battery charger/pack that will charge all at once for about an ounce more. Got most if the components from Fasttech.

Ryan