PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike - Southwest Virginia - Questions

Goonky
05-04-2014, 16:28
Hey all,

I'm planning to hike the section north of Damascus in early June with my dog Charlie. Would love some answers from folks familiar with that section.

1. I was thinking of hiking from Dickey Gap south back into Damascus. That's 49 miles. I'm hiking 5 days and I can't decide if that's too far for me. I mostly have Maine to go by since that's where I live and where most of my hiking has been. A good reasonable day for me over some of the tougher terrain here in Maine is 7-8 miles a day. That's just where I am. I did a section south of Hot Springs last year and managed one 14 mile day and still felt pretty good. I have a profile map of this section of VA, but I'm not sure those tell you everything.

I like to make a rough plan even if I don't stick to it, and I like to aim for shelters, though I do have a tent for Charlie and me. I've even stealth camped before, like I said, I just like a rough plan. So I mapped this out as follows:

Day 1 - Dickey Gap to Hurricane Mountain Shelter - 5 miles
Day 2 - Hurricane Mountain Shelter to Wise Shelter - 11 miles
Day 3 - Wise Shelter to Thomas Knob Shelter - 5 miles (probably too short a day for me)
Day 4 - Thomas Knob Shelter to Lost Mountain Shelter - 12 miles (could be do-able, I've done 14 in a day before)
Day 5 - Lost Mountain Shelter to Saunders Shelter - 7 miles
Day 6 - Saunders Shelter to Damascus - 9 miles

So that's a day longer than I wanted and it feels like too much.

My question: Is there good road access at Fox Creek? Could I be dropped there instead?

That would make the rough plan:

Day 1 - Fox Creek to Wise Shelter - 8 miles
Day 2 - Wise Shelter to Thomas Knob Shelter - 5 miles
Day 3 - Thomas Knob Shelter to Lost Mountain Shelter - 12 miles -
Day 4 - Lost Mountain Shelter to Saunders Shelter - 7 miles
Day 5 - Saunders Shelter to Damascus - 9 miles

That feels a little more manageable for me and the dogman.

2. What's the weather like in early June in this area? Cool nights still? Pretty flowers?

3. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service that would take me to Fox Creek?

4. I've got the 2013 AWOL's Guide and it appears the Hiker's Inn is the only place that allows dogs. Have I got that right?

5. Where can I leave the car in Damascus? suggestions?

6. I'm guessing if I went from Fox Creek to Damascus, there's no resupply along the way? Not a big deal I can carry for 5 days, just curious.

I don't want to rush and feel exhausted. I've heard this is a beautiful section and I want to be able to enjoy it. Any feedback, info, suggestions would be appreciated!

Lone Wolf
05-04-2014, 18:43
i'm your shuttle guy to fox creek. Woodchuck hostel allows dogs also. if i shuttle you, you may leave your car at my house. no resupply along the way

bigcranky
05-04-2014, 20:08
1. Easy road access to both Fox Creek and Dickey Gap. Lone Wolf is your guy :)

2. Beautiful weather. Might get into the 40s at night. Lots of pretty flowers, though it'll be past the season for spring ephemerals. Rhododendrons should be blooming up high. Might be hot during the day but I'd be prepared for some rain.

6. No resupply along the way.

Thoughts:

My wife and I are planning Fox Creek to Damascus in three days later this month. We're hardly ultra-hikers, but this is a reasonable distance for use. I'm thinking if you did a 14 mile day south of Hot Springs then you can probably average 10 per day in this area. There are some long climbs but everything is well graded. You might look at going to Old Orchard Shelter on Day one and then Thomas Knob on day two, assuming you have a full hiking day on day one.

Also there are lots of decent camp sites along the way, not all of which make it into the guidebook. (We're the section editors for the ALDHA Companion for this section, and I know all the campsites don't make it in...:) ) If you firm up your plans and want to PM me I might be able to make a couple of suggestions.

Goonky
05-04-2014, 22:03
i'm your shuttle guy to fox creek. Woodchuck hostel allows dogs also. if i shuttle you, you may leave your car at my house. no resupply along the way

Thanks Lone Wolf. I actually sent you a PM a while back, but never heard back from you. If you want to shoot me a PM, maybe that would work. :)

Goonky
05-04-2014, 22:17
1. Easy road access to both Fox Creek and Dickey Gap. Lone Wolf is your guy :)

2. Beautiful weather. Might get into the 40s at night. Lots of pretty flowers, though it'll be past the season for spring ephemerals. Rhododendrons should be blooming up high. Might be hot during the day but I'd be prepared for some rain.

6. No resupply along the way.

Thoughts:

My wife and I are planning Fox Creek to Damascus in three days later this month. We're hardly ultra-hikers, but this is a reasonable distance for use. I'm thinking if you did a 14 mile day south of Hot Springs then you can probably average 10 per day in this area. There are some long climbs but everything is well graded. You might look at going to Old Orchard Shelter on Day one and then Thomas Knob on day two, assuming you have a full hiking day on day one.

Also there are lots of decent camp sites along the way, not all of which make it into the guidebook. (We're the section editors for the ALDHA Companion for this section, and I know all the campsites don't make it in...:) ) If you firm up your plans and want to PM me I might be able to make a couple of suggestions.

Thanks Big Cranky, this was just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Much appreciated!