PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to mount my GoPro to my trekking pole?

toogariver
05-04-2014, 18:38
Does anyone have suggestions about mounting a GoPro 3 for use on my upcoming section hike? I just got the camera so I'm still getting familiar with using it. I'd like to avoid carrying anything extra if possible so I'm wondering if it's possible to rig it for use on my trekking pole.

pyro_
05-04-2014, 18:47
While not exactly what you are looking for you might want to look at the peak designs pov capture clip. It would allow you to attach your go pro to you backpack strap

toogariver
05-04-2014, 19:02
While not exactly what you are looking for you might want to look at the peak designs pov capture clip. It would allow you to attach your go pro to you backpack strap

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Sarcasm the elf
05-04-2014, 19:04
I don't have personal experience with a gopro. But if you google "trekking pole gopro" you will get a number of options, some of them commercially available and some homemade.

Shutterbug
05-04-2014, 19:07
Does anyone have suggestions about mounting a GoPro 3 for use on my upcoming section hike? I just got the camera so I'm still getting familiar with using it. I'd like to avoid carrying anything extra if possible so I'm wondering if it's possible to rig it for use on my trekking pole.

REI has hiking pole with a camera mount built in. You will need the tripod adapter for the GoPro to mount it.

For some reason, I can't post the link. Google "REI Hiker Shocklight Staff"

goody5534
05-04-2014, 20:40
Gotta get this for your gopro... point blank the best! Peakdesign.com

Southeast
05-05-2014, 00:29
I like using an ultrapod as a light weight tripod. I can also attach it to my trekking pole via the velcro straps.

Old Hillwalker
05-05-2014, 08:08
Here is what I am using from GoPro. I think it was a handlebar mount but I replaced the rather large mounting screws with small nuts and bolts.

I quite often walk with the camera attached to the pole. If you hold the pole off the ground as you walk for short distances it is a pretty steady shot. When you stop, it acts like a monopole and you can slowly rotate the pole resting on the ground and get pretty decent 360s.

Go to the GoPro site and you will find the mount.

slbirdnerd
05-05-2014, 10:30
This works for a shot ever now and then but not a "permanent" mounting:

http://www.thestickpic.com/

Francis Sawyer
05-05-2014, 12:10
Forget the go pro. Enjoy the trail with your senses.Electronics and all the associated crap just get in the way.We expend so much time and effort trying to document everything that we don't truly experience and enjoy it.

toogariver
05-05-2014, 21:04
Thanks for all the advice! Seems like there are a lot more options than I originally thought.

toogariver
05-05-2014, 21:07
Forget the go pro. Enjoy the trail with your senses.Electronics and all the associated crap just get in the way.We expend so much time and effort trying to document everything that we don't truly experience and enjoy it.
No need to preach from the pulpit. I've been inspired by countless videos that I've seen others post online. I happen to like the documenting aspect. I get that you're not into it, but I am…hike your own hike, as they say.

Sarcasm the elf
05-05-2014, 21:50

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s400/BertSlide/lighten-up-francis-o_zpsb04bf304.gif

(I promise that I wont post that too often...)

leaftye
09-26-2014, 23:42

I'd rather spend a little time memorizing it digitally because I sure won't be able to remember much of it organically after a few years. If you don't need a paper or digital journal to help remember your trips, then good for you. Keep doing that. We're not all built that way though.

Damn Yankee
09-27-2014, 08:05
You can always use the GoPro chest harness

Southeast
09-27-2014, 10:04
So... What did you end uo doing and where can we see the video? :)

Rolex
09-27-2014, 12:33
Ditto. this is what I use with mine also.

Here is what I am using from GoPro. I think it was a handlebar mount but I replaced the rather large mounting screws with small nuts and bolts.

I quite often walk with the camera attached to the pole. If you hold the pole off the ground as you walk for short distances it is a pretty steady shot. When you stop, it acts like a monopole and you can slowly rotate the pole resting on the ground and get pretty decent 360s.

Go to the GoPro site and you will find the mount.

Old Hiker
09-27-2014, 12:41
Not the original question, but found this when looking up the camera:

http://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Extendable-Telescopic-Handheld-Monopod/dp/B00FF5ZCCG/ref=sr_1_11?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1411835985&sr=1-11&keywords=gopro+camera

Not sure about the price vs. original retail, but $1.50 ????

BuckeyeBill
10-01-2014, 04:25
If you have Leki poles, Leki makes a handle mount. REI has it on their site just search for leki and it should come up.

Buckeye Bill
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

PatmanTN
10-01-2014, 07:45
Here is my cheap mount using one of the brackets that came with the GoPro and two cable ties.

And the latest video using this on trail:

PatmanTN
10-01-2014, 08:31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTLrkzlbcN8