PDA

View Full Version : Beginning to finally gather new gear and or get different gear/equip

Different Socks
05-04-2014, 23:50
Recently made my first purcghase of new gear and now wish to ask for suggetsions on pther gear.
First up is something for camp/sleep comfort:

Can anyone suggest a good pillow which compacts to a relatively small size. I'm looking for a pillow that would be about the size of a football when used and about the size of a softball when packed.
Thanks for ideas!

slbirdnerd
05-05-2014, 10:37
I have a Cocoon Sleeping Bag Hood pillow, which is inflatable and packs the size of a baseball or softball. It's okay, I generally don't like inflatable things. If you try it, don't inflate it all the way.

I also have and like better, a Big Agnes Sleeping Giant pillow. It's inflatable with a layer of memory foam. Last time I didn't even inflate it, just laid it on top of my pack and this worked better than anything else I have tried. It doesn't pack as small as you'd like, but I've actually started leaving it unfolded/flat and just putting it in the bottom of my pack under my sleeping bag dry sack. If conditions are wet I'll probably just stuff it in with my bag.

What I'd really like is a small pillow filled with shredded memory foam. I've seen some but they are too big to pack. Or just go get yoruself ap iece of memory foam and cover it with something.

Lastly, stuff your extra clothes in a small stuff sack or modified pillow case.

Coffee
05-05-2014, 10:40
Recently made my first purcghase of new gear and now wish to ask for suggetsions on pther gear.

Can anyone suggest a good pillow which compacts to a relatively small size. I'm looking for a pillow that would be about the size of a football when used and about the size of a softball when packed.
Thanks for ideas!

Exped UL Pillow: http://www.rei.com/product/847128/exped-air-pillow-ul

2 ounces for the large on my scale. For me it is well worth it and much more comfortable than the "clothes in a stuff sack" alternative.

Tipi Walter
05-05-2014, 11:12
I got an old wintersilks top baselayer and cut off the arms and sewed the neck opening closed leaving the waist part open and in this I stuff my WM Meltdown down jacket and close the waist opening with a rubber band. Dual duty since the down jacket is worn when temps go south.

bigcranky
05-05-2014, 11:14
It's not a standalone pillow, but my down parka does double duty. It stuffs into its own hood and makes a lovely pillow. It's a Western Mountaineering flash parka, I think; weighs about 12 oz so it goes with me all year except in the middle of summer.

Slo-go'en
05-05-2014, 11:50
I bought a piece of thin fleece fabric which I'll sew into a "pillow case" into which I'll stuff with clothes to make a pillow.

Different Socks
05-05-2014, 15:42
For those of you that use clothes to stuff a sack or case for a pillow, what if the clothes have body odor?

mrcoffeect
05-05-2014, 15:51
For those of you that use clothes to stuff a sack or case for a pillow, what if the clothes have body odor?
If your body odor is so bad that you can't stand your own brand, you have some chores to do before bed.:)

QHShowoman
05-05-2014, 16:14
I've tried a gazillion different pillows. My current setup is a Thermarest Compressible pillow inside a Thermarest Pillow Stuff Sack. Super comfy, but bulky and weighs way more than it should.

This is what I have my eye on, now:

Exped UL Pillow in Large +
Goosefeet Gear Down Pillow Sized for the Exped
https://goosefeetgear.com/products/3-down-pillows

Total wt: 4.2 oz

Video Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHGnHs5hw2s

daddytwosticks
05-05-2014, 16:15
Not my original idea, but I use kid's water wings. Seriously. Between these and some spare clothes in my sleeping bag stuff sack, I'm usually good. The problem comes in warmer weather when I don't carry too many spare clothes. :)

Venchka
05-05-2014, 21:09

What if you are sleeping in all/most of your clothes? Hey.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Odd Man Out
05-06-2014, 00:00
I bought a few of these for a few $ and made a few pillow cases with a fleece remnant from the fabric store.

www.colonialmedical.com/flexair-pillow-P-2451.html (http://www.colonialmedical.com/flexair-pillow-P-2451.html)

Kingbee
05-06-2014, 00:16
+1 on Exped pillow.

Nooga
05-06-2014, 07:56
+1 on Exped pillow.

+2 on Exped pillow

Different Socks
05-06-2014, 09:25
What if you are sleeping in all/most of your clothes? Hey.

Wayne

I've often wondered this also, so thanks for asking.

Different Socks
05-06-2014, 09:27
BTW, based on the suggestions, i am going with the Exped pillow. Thanks guys and gals.
The other good thing is even though I'd rather have tonight off, I was asked to come in and it's all OT. So the extra money is going to pay for the pillow, gaiters and a new mug(my next OP).

Starvin Marvin
05-06-2014, 09:30
I dont carry a seperate pillow, I use things I already carry. Clothes stuff sack, Evernew 2L water bag, ccf sit pad. Blow up the Evernew to desired firmness, wrap the sit pad around it, and slip it inside the stuffsack. Maintains its shape, adjustable firmness, and all peices are double duty. Currently Im using a med ZPacks Pillow Dry bag. Its comfortable.

bangorme
05-06-2014, 13:36

Well, if you have body odor, then your pillow will also, so it really doesn't matter. I don't know about everyone else, but I've got to smell REAL bad before it bothers ME. Can't think of many times I've actually been able to reach that point.

Actually, the good side is that at least you will occasionally wash your clothes. Now a pillow would be harder to wash.

Odd Man Out
05-06-2014, 14:56
What if you are sleeping in all/most of your clothes?

I was going to use my clothes sack for a pillow, but for my upcoming summer hike I realized I wouldn't have enough clothes to make a good pillow, so I went with Plan B (see above). I'm a side sleeper so I need a pretty thick pillow.

Venchka
05-06-2014, 16:18
Same here. Wimpy flat pillows don't work for me either.

Wayne

Namtrag
05-06-2014, 17:12
I can't find anything that works for me...I sleep on my side and have big shoulders, so my head tends to hang way down and my neck hurts. This weekend I slept with my down jacket that converts to a pillow, and put my clothes bag on top of it, and it still wasn't great. I am at a loss. lol

Laughter95
05-08-2014, 20:04
just take the weight penalty and go for a nemo fillo pillow. i sleep on that on my bed at home, it's so comfortable. and comes w/a lifetime warranty.

Venchka
05-08-2014, 22:19
I can't find anything that works for me...I sleep on my side and have big shoulders, so my head tends to hang way down and my neck hurts. This weekend I slept with my down jacket that converts to a pillow, and put my clothes bag on top of it, and it still wasn't great. I am at a loss. lol

The Exped Air Pillows are 4 inches deep. One of those under or over your clothes bag or down jacket might work. If not, return it.

Wayne

UofWHusky
05-09-2014, 22:30
+ 4 on the Exped. They come in two sizes, medium and large. I am a side sleeper and prefer the slightly thicker large (3.5 oz). I found a travel pillow case (1.5 oz) at K-Mart that fits like it was custom made for it. The pillow case is easy to wash in town.

Lyle
05-10-2014, 07:12
When I don't have enough spare clothes to use as a pillow most any other gear will work. I have used camera case (sans camera), tent if it's not being used, water bottles/platypus wrapped in a t-shirt. Probably the go-to are my hiking shoes covered with a plastic bag or t-shirt. The biggest problem with the latter, is that my shoe is usually where I keep my headlamp, eyeglasses, "wallet" overnight so I have to find someplace else to keep these items handy - usually a hat takes on this responsibility.

I do have the advantage of being a side sleeper, who 90% of the time has my hand/arm pulled up under my head for comfort, therefore I only need a riser to rest my arm on.

Drybones
05-10-2014, 07:56

Thanks for ideas!

The lack of a decent pillow kept me from sleeping well until recently. I had a Cacoon but my head wabbled around and woke me up continually during the night, I tried clothes in a stuff sack but didn't like that, finally tried putting the Cacoon in a dry bag with a few clothes and putting just a little air in it ti fluff up the bag, works well for me but there's a learning curve to get the air just right.

Different Socks
05-10-2014, 19:10
My Med Exped arrived today. Package was so small, I didn't know what it was til I took it out......WOW!!! What a small size. Inflated it and tried it out on the floor, next is on the trail. Just seeing the deflated size made me glad I decided the carry the extra ounces!!

Venchka
05-10-2014, 19:17
My Med Exped arrived today. Package was so small, I didn't know what it was til I took it out......WOW!!! What a small size. Inflated it and tried it out on the floor, next is on the trail. Just seeing the deflated size made me glad I decided the carry the extra ounces!!

Which model is this? Orange or Yellow UL?

Wayne

Different Socks
05-11-2014, 08:41
Model Exped M, color is red.