PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite tarp tent, and why?

zaichev
05-05-2014, 00:48
Or at least, which have you used/have had success/failure with?

nastynate
05-05-2014, 04:40
Happy with my Lightheart Gear Solong6

bigcranky
05-05-2014, 07:17
Love our Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo for two people. Liked my Tarptent Moment, but I gave it to a friend in the scouts, and will replace it with either a Tarptent Notch or a Zpacks Hexamid Twin. Leaning toward the Zpacks but it's expensive.

The Notch is a nice little tent -- uses trekking poles for set up, so your poles do double duty as tent poles. It has two big doors on the long sides, two big vestibules for gear, plenty of room inside for a solo hiker, and it will set up and tear down quickly and easily (after the first time...) It has a mesh inner tent that can be put up and taken down separately, so the inside doesn't get wet in the rain. Not a bad deal for the price. I think it's 26 ounces total weight.

garlic08
05-05-2014, 07:55
In terms of ruggedness, simplicity and price, I haven't been able to beat the Tarptent Contrail. I like the four-stake pitch, and no hoop pole. Some don't like the front entry, but that's not an issue for me. I just bought my second one after seven seasons of heavy use and thru hikes of several long trails. The old one it still usable, but I don't quite trust it for another long trip. In terms of cost, I'm in the dimes per night range with it.

If a side entry were more important, I'd go with the Moment. But because it has a hoop pole and I've broken/lost those before, I didn't this time.

bigcranky
05-05-2014, 11:17
If a side entry were more important, I'd go with the Moment. But because it has a hoop pole and I've broken/lost those before, I didn't this time.

We had a Squall and a Rainshadow with the front entrance, and disliked it, especially for two people. I did like my Moment for the side entrance, and the Notch has TWO side entrances (!) for twice the fun. Also uses trekking poles.