PDA

View Full Version : I need to invest in a good sleeping bag that will be good through March-August...

zaichev
05-05-2014, 00:55
Are there any suggestions? I'd prefer it to be superlight and something that will be convertible from winter-summer, if that's even possible.

daddytwosticks
05-05-2014, 07:12
You probably need to give additional information for posters to give you some sound advice. Consider the Cadillacs of bags, such as Western Mountaineering. Great long-term investment. I have the Megalite 30 degree bag and love it. :)

Tuckahoe
05-05-2014, 07:50
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Dual-Temp-Sleeping-Bag/dp/B004N5ZXAU

Both Eureka and I think Kelty offer dual temp rated bags. I dont own one so I can not offer personal experience, but I dont see that you'll get much weight savings out of a dual temp bag. If you look at the specs at the Amazon link you are looking at 3 1/2 to 4 lbs bags. It also looks like a minimal differences in the temp ranges.

I think that you would be better served with dedicated winter or 3 season bag and then a summer bag.

garlic08
05-05-2014, 07:59
Good advice so far. Get the best one you can afford and you won't regret it (as long as you actually use the thing). Sometimes the Marmot Helium goes on sale for under $300. Consider a down quilt for summer use. That's one of the better gear purchases/changes I've made.

saltysack
05-05-2014, 10:07
Marmot helium has been great...true to temp rating w thermals.... $275 from backcountry on sale a year sgo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grampsb
05-05-2014, 10:18
Additional sleeping bags Feathered Friends Montbel; quilts katabaticgear, undergroundquilts.com, enlightened equipment just to name a few

Coffee
05-05-2014, 10:22
I have the Marmot Helium Long - a good bag and one that is often on sale. However, it is on the roomy side for a skinny person and only good to the mid 20s for me, without additional insulation layers. If I could make my sleeping bag decision over again, I would go with a slim fitting zPacks bag to save nearly a pound over the Helium, albeit at a significantly higher cost.

bigcranky
05-05-2014, 11:15
Look for a down bag in the 20-F range, about 2 pounds, with a full length zipper. It'll keep you warm enough in March, and it can be unzipped and used as a quilt in warmer weather.