PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good 3-7 day hike from Amnicola Falls or the starting point of the AT to do?

Ricky&Jack
05-05-2014, 13:10
I live in Dalton, Georgia (60mi from the AT starting point and Amnicola falls). Me and my 6 month old husky have done 15 day hikes and even did a 3 day hike near Chattanooga twice.

We have been to Amnicola Falls only twice for short 4 mile hikes, as well. But I was wanting to do our first hike on the AT.

Can anyone tell me about the first 15-30 miles of the AT? I thought it would be nice for me and the Husky to hike for 2-4 days headed north, then reward ourselves at a nice campsite or hotel. and then return back home.

Are there any stores or a motel in the first 15-30miles of the trail? Or is that all pretty much just trails and wilderness? (I havent been able to look up all the available stops on the trail without purchasing a guidebook).

So can anyone tell me about the first 15-30miles of the AT and if there is anything in that vicinity?

I appreciate any help. I recently lost my job, so I thought it would be good to do a hike soon, before I end up working full time and have wont have the time to do a week long hike.

flemdawg1
05-05-2014, 13:22
30 miles from Springer is Neels Gap, there is a store and hostel there. Not sure if dog friendly.

Ricky&Jack
05-05-2014, 13:41
Thanks. I'll look into neels gap online. Would that be the first real stop on the AT with a store etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flemdawg1
05-05-2014, 13:51
Thanks. I'll look into neels gap online. Would that be the first real stop on the AT with a store etc?

There is a convenience store 2 miles from Woody gap (mile 20 from Springer) it's a pretty easy hitch this time of the year (without a dog mind you) but very limited selection. But Neels Gap is ON the trail and only a day later.
http://www.mountaincrossings.com/Default.asp

Ricky&Jack
05-05-2014, 13:53
That sounds perfect. Thanks.

I had thought of just hiking for a few days til I was tired and head home..... But if I set a goal of Neels gap etc, then it'll help me stay motivated as I get closer, and not just give up and turn around. Thanks.

saltysack
05-05-2014, 14:41
The first 30 miles of the AT are fairly challenging. I did springer to woody a few years ago with my 8mo old jrt..pack light