PDA

View Full Version : Pita or Tortillas

Plain Pete
05-05-2014, 15:15
Just wondering which of these two bread sources works best for you.

Hikes in Rain
05-05-2014, 15:23
Either works well. Which one I take depends entirely on the other ingredients. Occasionally both. :)

Coffee
05-05-2014, 15:37
Tortillas pack better and the Mission brand usually has expiration dates a month out making it a viable option for mail drops.

bigcranky
05-05-2014, 15:46
I prefer flour tortillas but pita works ok. It does seem to get stale faster.

HooKooDooKu
05-05-2014, 15:51
The problem I have with tortillas is that after they've been stuffed in my food bad for a few days, they tend to try to stick together. For weekend hikes, that problem is easily solved by inserting a piece of wax paper between the tortillas.

daddytwosticks
05-05-2014, 16:09
Whole wheat tortillas for me. :)

psyon27
05-05-2014, 16:56
I haven't tried it but couldn't you sprinkle some flour between the tortillas to stop them from sticking together? Or maybe some cornmeal? I bet you could find a use for them other than that for longer hikes too.
Ken

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

garlic08
05-05-2014, 18:35
Tortillas have more fat (shortening or lard, so if you're vegetarian pay attention), therefore they are superior in almost every way to pita (for hiking). I routinely pack tortillas for a week before they start to crumble. Pita last a few days. Tortillas are generally much easier to find in trail towns and are often cheaper.

MuddyWaters
05-05-2014, 19:32
Tortillas pack better and the Mission brand usually has expiration dates a month out making it a viable option for mail drops.

Most store bought tortillas will have dates from 3-5 weeks if you catch them when they are first stocked.

Now, if you want to scare yourself, go to the mexican food section and check out the Old El Paso tortillas. They may have expiration dates 4-6 months away. They are pretty bad though in my one lone experience with them. Of course my package was only about a month from expiration, so it may have already been 5 months old.

Feral Bill
05-05-2014, 19:59
Tortillas are tasty easy to pack, and easy to find.

zelph
05-05-2014, 21:37
Corn Tortillas. lots of good flavor:)

StubbleJumper
05-06-2014, 12:50
I actually like bagels best, if I have adequate space to put them in my rucksack (a bag of bagels consumes about 2 or 3 litres of space!). For longer re-supply intervals, I go with tortillas because they take very little space in my pack, and they keep very well. Pita would be a purchase of desperation for me...

Spirit Walker
05-06-2014, 17:31
Raisin English muffins for me. I think they taste better and they pack small.

Sara
05-06-2014, 17:58
Hearty flatbread crackers are awesome since it takes them a while to go stale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
05-07-2014, 10:21
Any of the above. Or my grocery store carries lots of different kinds of flatbreads (sold for making canapes). Some sort of flatbread with peanut butter or soppressata or hard cheese or sardines is one of my go-tos for a trail lunch on the second or third day of a clueless weekend. (Sardines aren't as much wasted weight as you might imagine - that oil is caloric!)

Venchka
05-07-2014, 20:58
One more advantage of living in Texas: tortillas made fresh while you watch. A stack over 2 inches high for under a buck. Expiration date? Right.
That said, bagels are a nice treat and change of pace. Pita never enters my brain.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

MuddyWaters
05-07-2014, 22:35
One more advantage of living in Texas: tortillas made fresh while you watch. A stack over 2 inches high for under a buck. Expiration date? Right.
That said, bagels are a nice treat and change of pace. Pita never enters my brain.

Wayne

I make tortillas at home at least once a week. Fresh warm tortillas that puff up like little footballs when you cook them are just about the best thing there is, filled with sausage and eggs especially.

Mine will mold in a week or so. They seldom last more than a couple days for about 2 dozen though.

Venchka
05-07-2014, 22:38
I make tortillas at home at least once a week. Fresh warm tortillas that puff up like little footballs when you cook them are just about the best thing there is, filled with sausage and eggs especially.

Mine will mold in a week or so. They seldom last more than a couple days for about 2 dozen though.

You're killing me! Sounds wonderful.
Bon apetite.

Wayne

Old Hiker
05-08-2014, 08:35
Pita had too many crumbs when I tried them. I like tortillas. Never looked at the exp date - just ate them stuffed with whatever I had. PBJ, cream cheese, pepperoni and cheese sticks, honey, etc.

I also liked the mini-bagels, esp. at night with a tub of whipped cream cheese for a quick, cookless, high-calorie meal before bed. Also worked in the mornings when I didn't want to get out and cook.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2014, 12:47
The problem I have with tortillas is that after they've been stuffed in my food bad for a few days, they tend to try to stick together. For weekend hikes, that problem is easily solved by inserting a piece of wax paper between the tortillas.

HKDK - I like the wax paper idea. I will use that. My go-to lunch is PB and J on a tortilla.

Odd Man Out
05-08-2014, 12:51
Also, I've noticed in our grocery store that some tortillas are in the refrigerated section and some are not. Always wondered if some were more perishable than others. I'm guessing not.

cheetahgeek
05-17-2014, 21:44
Pita, flour tortilla, corn tortilla, in that order.

Plain Pete
05-26-2014, 21:46
Just a follow up on this thread. Decided to go with torts and stuck them in the freezer to wait upon my trip from Carter's Gap to Damascus. Enter excitement and old age and the tortillas were the one thing I left behind. Fortunately for me, the shop at Black Bear Hostel, where we stayed had plenty. Worked great.

Onica Hanby
05-26-2014, 22:03
Also, I've noticed in our grocery store that some tortillas are in the refrigerated section and some are not. Always wondered if some were more perishable than others. I'm guessing not.

Yes, some will go bad quicker as they are not full of all the preservatives the non-refrigerated ones have to keep them shelf stable. It's also why the homemade ones will either dry out or mold in a week. No icky preservatives. That being said... for hiking we like the shelf stable ones. Preservatives be hanged. :)

Old Grouse
05-27-2014, 11:42
I greatly prefer pita to tortillas. Haven't exprienced issues with either crumbling, staleness or mold. Maybe I go through them too fast.

WingedMonkey
05-27-2014, 14:57
Tortilla's to wrap about anything. Latest favorite is a whole banana and peanut butter and Nutella.

Pita or flat bread for pizza. Sams use to have a whole wheat pocket-less pitta (Kontos brand), can't find them any longer.

RED-DOG
05-27-2014, 17:06
I prefer the Tortillas the flavored kind such as, Dried Tomato. Most of the time i make burritoes for lunch, out of spam and cheddar cheese.

rocketsocks
05-27-2014, 22:32
"Trader Joe's" has some pretty darn good tortillas...one is jalapeno flavored which has a little kick to it.

it's actually habinero flavored but I don't know how to spell that word, and neither does my spell checker.:o

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2014, 23:07
I liked Crickets idea of thin bagels and no cook - just tubs of cream cheese. Soft taco for me... I hate to be a pita:eek: