PDA

View Full Version : Planning March 2007 thru hike

Mike & Gloria Walsh
09-23-2005, 22:11
We have just joined the Whiteblaze forum. We live in Auburn. Alabama, and have section hiked the AT to Pearisburg, starting in about 1988. We have done parts of Georgia and North Carolina several times. We retire in 15 months, at age 62, and plan to thru hike in March, 2007. Anyone else out there starting then? We know we are older, but we have been doing marathons for some 25 years, go to the gym several times a week, and hope we have some stamina for the thru hike. We would like to hear from some other seniors who have finished the trail.

Auntie Mame
10-03-2005, 19:47
We will be starting in later March, '07, as well, at 56 and 57. There is a thread here somewhere for AT '07 folks. For good reading check out Trailjournals.com. Many people's sagas of their trail experiences. All best as you get ready to hike!

kwlter
10-15-2005, 11:44
I plan on starting my thru hike March 20th, 2007, I wll be 50 that year. Hiking by myslef.:jump

Cuffs
10-20-2005, 14:11
We have just joined the Whiteblaze forum. We live in Auburn. Alabama, and have section hiked the AT to Pearisburg, starting in about 1988. We have done parts of Georgia and North Carolina several times. We retire in 15 months, at age 62, and plan to thru hike in March, 2007. Anyone else out there starting then? We know we are older, but we have been doing marathons for some 25 years, go to the gym several times a week, and hope we have some stamina for the thru hike. We would like to hear from some other seniors who have finished the trail.
I too am planning a Mar 07 departure NOBO, and I am in Birmingham, AL. I dont really fit into your age group, but doing this for my 40th!! I just thought we could share info locally!!

See you on the trail!

SalParadise
10-20-2005, 22:12
I remember a guy named Mushroom in 04, in his early 70's. A slow hiker but always two weeks ahead of me; I could't seem to catch up. Determination is what matters, not speed and youth. And heck, if you have that kind of exercise regimen already, you'll be in better shape then most people my age. Good luck to both (well, all) of you.

"ME & U"
10-21-2005, 10:56
:welcome

Me&U ain't out of high school but thru'd in 03, and hiked the Long Trail this past July. Have plenty of "couple" stories and things to share, exp. on the ladies side of things. We still hike together and always will so that says alot! Any questions... anytime!
By the way, the larger majority of folks we've encountered on our journeys have been your age. Retired and loving life!
Enjoy your planning.

"ME & U"
10-21-2005, 11:04
...almost forgot. We met "pushin on" in VA. She was a solo hiker carrying a ton of stuff in an ol timer external pack. She was 79 then and had big time plans of trapsin around the country in an RV when she finished. Left foot "pushin", right foot "on". Man she schooled us I'll tell ya! Made me feel like grand child whining about my blisters and such.:clap

chicote
01-19-2006, 15:27
My wife and I are planing on March '07. Both gonna take time off of work (well she is, I'll have to quit) store everything away and get our hiking on. I bet you two will definitely have the stamina to complete the hike. We look forward to seeing you on the trail!

Grandma Dixie
01-20-2006, 20:08
I'll be there! My graduation present to myself. I'll be 17.

Lilred
01-21-2006, 12:37
We would like to hear from some other seniors who have finished the trail.

Check out a couple of books by J.R. "Model-T" Tate. He's written two, "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" and "Walking with the Ghost Whisperes". Both fantastic books. Model-T has gone on three thru-hikes and is around your age or a little older I believe. There's talk of him doing another hike soon.

Last year I hiked Springer to Neel Gap with a gentleman named G.R.U.M.P. It stands for Great Retired United Methodist Preacher. He was way loaded down and tackling some of the toughest hills in the south. Wonder if he ever made it???

simplehiker
02-06-2006, 02:21
After years of looking for someone to watch our pets that we could trust we finally found a family. My wife and I also will most likely be hitting the trail in late March 2007.

It looks like there is also a forum all ready set up... but only 1 post.

StarLyte
02-06-2006, 07:38
Nope - not a thru hiker, but I am interested in meeting you next year. You'll see me - poppin up for magic here n there.
Good luck. You're going to have the time of your life!
We'll be watching for ya-
Marsha

mindi
02-07-2006, 10:28
Not in your age group..but I'm also hiking NOBO in March of '07 and I'm looking forward to meeting you out there! Still trying to figure out a ride from FL to GA to start on March 22nd, if anyone is interested.
:) Mindi