PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a coffee/cocoa mug?

Different Socks
05-06-2014, 09:31
Currently I use an insulated BPer mug but have lost the lid.
Would like to replace it with a similar mug that would keep liquids cold or hot, that's about the same size and weight, and possibly has cup measurements on the inside or outside.

Any suggestions?

saltysack
05-06-2014, 10:00
Love my snow peak ti 600pot/mug....not insulated but love the versatility and weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
05-06-2014, 10:01
We just use any old plastic double wall mug with a lid. I think my wife is still using her NC Ferry System mug that has to be ten years old. No cup markings, but I know that two Starbucks Via packets are just right if I fill the mug with hot water :)

I use my metal Snow Peak cook pot as my mug, with a Reflectix cozy. It has markings, though none of them correspond with any measurements that I actually use....

Lyle
05-06-2014, 11:03
One of these (or very similar) with a cozy to fit the cup and the lid. Works great. Would get slightly larger if possible, but this fits inside the AGG cook kit that it came with. Lighter than any insulated cup I've found.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ziploc-20877-Single-Serving-Containers/15028999

shakey_snake
05-06-2014, 11:27
I use that same MSR mug and wouldn't replace it for anything. Buy yourself a new one, keep the current one as spare parts. :)

bangorme
05-06-2014, 13:31
I use GSI Halulite Minamalist Cookset. The set includes a cover for drinking liquids and an insulating sleeve for the pot.

Weather-man
05-06-2014, 21:46
I carry a titanium coffee mug that weighs around 2 oz but I have been looking at options. I took one of the ziplock hard containers with the screw lid and built a cozy for it. It also weighs about 2 oz and I may repave my Ti mug with this.

My thought is that the ziplock container will work fine for coffee in the morning and also allow me to cook a hot meal before breaking camp in the morning and carrying it with me in the ziplock "mug" for a hot (warm...) lunch.

Mags
05-06-2014, 21:49
7/11 coffee mug. Cheap, light, came with a free coffee refill. Made in the USA.

:)

saltysack
05-07-2014, 10:12
I'm Leary of drinking out of foam or plastics....as both break down with heat..not safe IMO...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
05-07-2014, 10:14
I usually carry my water in a Camelbak in warm weather. I wind up carrying one Nalgene bottle so that I have a rigid container (for dipping from streams, measuring, having a measured litre for treatment, and so on). I made a Reflectix cozy for it, and it becomes my thermos and coffee cup. It's luxurious, having a second cup of coffee while I'm already walking out of camp! When I use this arrangement, I don't usually bring another cup. I know a Nalgene is heavy, but I'm not any too sure about a less robust container taking the heat.

In winter, the Camelbak stays home (the hose freezes up!) and I bring another bottle or two. The Reflectix jackets go on all of them, and are great at keeping them from freezing.

With this arrangement, I don't generally need a separate cup. So I spend that weight on a pour-over Melitta filter instead, so that I can have real actual coffee and not that powdered substitute that Fourbucks packs in the little envelopes.

mak1277
05-07-2014, 14:03
I use a gatorade bottle and two Starbucks Via's.

Gotta die of something, might as well be leached plastic poison from a hot bottle.

SunnyWalker
05-07-2014, 14:48
Snow Peak titanium cup w/lip saver.

ScareBear
05-07-2014, 21:26
We each carry one of these: http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/infinity_backpacker_mug-_blue_mtn

No issues at all with boiling water poured into them. Heat retention with lid closed is exceptional. Ten bucks. 3.5oz weight, 17oz capacity. Best bang for the buck in all of camping...just saying...

MuddyWaters
05-07-2014, 22:29
0.1 oz styroam cup with lid.

Put inside cook pot to keep from crushing.

Seriously, people drink out of them everyday at work or such, but all of a sudden on a trail they need a heavy plastic or metal indestructible cup. Boggles the mind.

ScareBear
05-07-2014, 23:06
0.1 oz styroam cup with lid.

Put inside cook pot to keep from crushing.

Seriously, people drink out of them everyday at work or such, but all of a sudden on a trail they need a heavy plastic or metal indestructible cup. Boggles the mind.

Well...you go right ahead and pour that boiling water into your styrofoam cup....http://www.bios.niu.edu/news_events/Dangers_of_Polystyrene.pdf

harmonjazzman
05-07-2014, 23:10
We each carry one of these: http://gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/infinity_backpacker_mug-_blue_mtn

No issues at all with boiling water poured into them. Heat retention with lid closed is exceptional. Ten bucks. 3.5oz weight, 17oz capacity. Best bang for the buck in all of camping...just saying...

Also what my gf and I use. Love it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
05-08-2014, 07:12
When I used to have a moderate morning coffee/caffeine addiction, the type of mug I was using was critical in enjoying the morning coffee ritual. Now that I've kicked the habit, I can go without coffee/caffeine. But I still, occasionally, like some decaf coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. For these times - and for dipping drinking water- I carry an el-cheapo 12 oz Coleman mug/cup with handle that I purchased at WalMart for like 2 bucks. It comes with measure markings, weighs next to nothing, and keeps my drink warm enough. :)

Gambit McCrae
05-08-2014, 08:21
I use the evernew Ti 1L pot for boiling, and for sipping coffee I have a little plastic 1cup cup. Its not insulated but that helps cool coffee to drink and get back on the trail