PDA

View Full Version : Reached a milestone

LAF
05-06-2014, 21:04
Just checking in: yesterday saw me walk past mile 546.32, the ¼ point based on the ATC reported trail length for 2014. Started on the approach trail on March 25th so doing pretty well. Some wonderful views, some great people. Wild ponies in Grayson Highlands were cool, but they don't seem so wild anymore with all the people they see. Of course, I didn't try to ride one :-). And no, didn't feed or pet any of them either although I did see a couple hikers doing so, which kinda irritated me :mad:

Just missed seeing Chin Music at the Partnership Shelter by a couple days. Said he didn't see any thru hikers the day he was there.

water was plentiful up to this point but now it's now becoming a bit more spread out, to be expected. Up to now though I didn't carry more than a liter since it was so easy to get.

have had some awesome trail magic. Couple days ago I got near a road crossing and these 4 men had 2 large pavilion tents set up and had everything you could imagine. They were there for the week end. I ended up having eggs, sausage, real old schol hash brown potatoes, huge breakfast burrito, drinks. And for the afternoon they were having meatball subs, etc. along with a keg of beer to boot. Many, many thanks to those guys: 2 from NC, 1 from Ohio, 1 from WV. These guys have been doing this for 7 years now. And then there was the guy and his wife actually walking the trail carrying cold drinks, fresh apple fritters, bananas, apples... And then...you get the idea. The folks down south definitely know trail magic!!! Good ole southern hospitality I guess :)

mrcoffeect
05-06-2014, 21:23
That is awsome. Im glad your having a blast.

Lone Wolf
05-06-2014, 22:15
Just checking in: yesterday saw me walk past mile 546.32, the ¼ point based on the ATC reported trail length for 2014. Started on the approach trail on March 25th so doing pretty well. Some wonderful views, some great people. Wild ponies in Grayson Highlands were cool, but they don't seem so wild anymore with all the people they see. Of course, I didn't try to ride one :-). And no, didn't feed or pet any of them either although I did see a couple hikers doing so, which kinda irritated me :mad:

Just missed seeing Chin Music at the Partnership Shelter by a couple days. Said he didn't see any thru hikers the day he was there.

water was plentiful up to this point but now it's now becoming a bit more spread out, to be expected. Up to now though I didn't carry more than a liter since it was so easy to get.

have had some awesome trail magic. Couple days ago I got near a road crossing and these 4 men had 2 large pavilion tents set up and had everything you could imagine. They were there for the week end. I ended up having eggs, sausage, real old schol hash brown potatoes, huge breakfast burrito, drinks. And for the afternoon they were having meatball subs, etc. along with a keg of beer to boot. Many, many thanks to those guys: 2 from NC, 1 from Ohio, 1 from WV. These guys have been doing this for 7 years now. And then there was the guy and his wife actually walking the trail carrying cold drinks, fresh apple fritters, bananas, apples... And then...you get the idea. The folks down south definitely know trail magic!!! Good ole southern hospitality I guess :)but what did you SEE besides food?

LAF
05-07-2014, 07:07
but what did you SEE besides food?
If you're referring to trail magic, Some wonderful people with good souls and kind hearts and smiles on their faces. Some former thru hikers, some had family hiking, and some just wanting to do it.

if you're referring to the trail, to my chagrin, no bear yet. Lots of deer, some turkey, owl, etc. beautiful flowers blooming, lilacs in VA starting to bloom. Fantastic views in many places. Some places testing my mental fortitude - yep fell on my butt during some rain storms, slightly injured a wrist (sore but all good). Have met some really good folks, and some blatant holes as well.

To sum it up, I have seen gods work in action, have seen Mother Nature in action. Have I seen a new me yet? Hmm, perhaps some slight changes, a kinder heart, a stronger back....

take a peek at my blog - pictures and some verbiage there about the experience this far

canoe
05-07-2014, 08:15
Sounds like you are having a great hike. where can we find your blog

BobbleheadBob
05-07-2014, 10:48
Sounds like you are having a great hike. where can we find your blog

http://meontheat.blogspot.com

Found the link on his profile page