PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay in Hot Springs Nc

McFrancis
05-07-2014, 08:29
Going with a group of 5 to Hot Springs for a three day section hike on the AT. Any suggestion on where to stay in town before and after the hike?

Slo-go'en
05-07-2014, 09:09
The Laughing Heart hostel would be the least expensive option. The Alpine Motel has reasonable rates and there are several other motels to choose from.

Nooga
05-07-2014, 09:11
+1 on Laughing Heart Hostel

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2014, 09:16
I'm particularly fold of the Iron Horse Station (http://www.theironhorsestation.com/). Stayed there twice, loved it both times. It's certainly unique; not your typical motel!

superman
05-07-2014, 09:57
I prefer the Iron Horse.

Slo-go'en
05-07-2014, 10:55
And of course there is the Hot Springs resort. I think they have cabins? There is also a car campground nearby.

Venchka
05-07-2014, 11:21
We stayed at the Iron Horse about a year ago-first weekend in June, 2013. We left with mixed feelings. The bathroom needed work. We never did get used to the train. However, I imagine that the train can be heard all over Hot Springs.
We had a nice evening at the restaurant on a creek on the same side of the street and in between the old hardware store & the outfitter. We enjoyed the deck overlooking the stream. The food was good and they have Abita beer.
The Smokey Mountain Diner (http://www.smokymountaindinerhotsprings.com/) is a "must do". We had the best breakfast for the least money ever. We bought a pie to take to our daughter in Boone. Two thumbs WAY up!
The Hot Springs Resort Campground is opposite the hot springs pool building, across the bridge & on the same side of the road as the outfitter store. Behind the most amazing junk food convenience store.
We "section hiked" the AT in Hot Springs about 4 times.

Wayne

Hikes in Rain
05-07-2014, 12:45
Oh yeah, 1+ on the Smokey Mountain Diner! Best place in town, and in all the towns surrounding it.

Old Hiker
05-07-2014, 13:41
Down from the Iron Horse (turn right before the tracks going northbound ) is a set of cabin type rooms that I stayed in for 2 days. Very nice - bit pricey I believe (45 ?? Don't remember.) but it was nice. Can't remember the name. I believe I got the number from the AT Guide.

Alleghanian Orogeny
05-07-2014, 14:26
And of course there is the Hot Springs resort. I think they have cabins? There is also a car campground nearby.

Along with 1 other guy, I spent 3 nights in a Hot Springs Resort cabin right before Memorial Day 2013. Their cabins are located in the midst of their large campground along the river. Pretty Spartan: small bathroom with toilet and sink, small table and 2 chairs, no cooking facilities (Hmm, was there a coffeemaker? I think there was). Nice elevated and covered deck overlooking the campground and having a river view. Communal shower house a few steps away. Surprisingly good food at the campground's store/grill, and quite reasonably priced. Try the cheesy grits. Maybe a 4 minute walk to the railroad tracks on the edge of town. I'm recalling maybe $70/night? Yes, does not compare favorably with a motel with more amenities, and the beds were framed bunks w/ mattresses, but all we were doing was going to the field for some mapping during the day and eating snacks and having a beer or two before a soak in the late afternoon, so overall a good experience.

AO

Venchka
05-07-2014, 18:18
Down from the Iron Horse (turn right before the tracks going northbound ) is a set of cabin type rooms that I stayed in for 2 days. Very nice - bit pricey I believe (45 ?? Don't remember.) but it was nice. Can't remember the name. I believe I got the number from the AT Guide.

I saw that place from our Iron Horse room & when we were in/out of the car. It faces the tracks. There is a heavy equipment lot between the Iron Horse and the place you are speaking of.
I now remember another motel, set back from the main street, between the Diner & the library, same side of the main street as the library. I think that is the Alpine Motel mentioned earlier. Far enough from the tracks that you won't think that the train is going through your room. Close to the Diner, library, post office, and two grocery stores. Nothing is very far away in Hot Springs. The laundromat is opposite the Iron Horse, next to the Police Station maybe?
I should write a Guide Book. Grinning.

Wayne

danil411
05-07-2014, 21:58
I enjoyed the cabins near the creek right in town.

Astro
05-07-2014, 22:15
I'm particularly fold of the Iron Horse Station (http://www.theironhorsestation.com/). Stayed there twice, loved it both times. It's certainly unique; not your typical motel!

+1, good meal also after a few days in the woods.

July
05-07-2014, 22:34
Laughing Heart is clean and hospitable, or tent on the lawn. Also tent by the river (free:-) just across the bridge. Smokey Mtn Diner is definitely worth the stop. Or stops.