PDA

View Full Version : Packs and Fast food

Rueben the Cobbler
05-07-2014, 08:36
What's the best way to go about bringing your pack into a place like Wendy's? Or should they be left outside?

Slo-go'en
05-07-2014, 09:05
Various options. I usually find a place just inside the door, next to a trash bin or the like. Or put it in a booth while you stand in line.

bigcranky
05-07-2014, 09:28
I either leave it outside or in a booth in a far corner. Depends on whether I am just coming into town and I'm totally sweaty and stinky, or leaving town and smell ok. If the place is busy I don't want my hiker funk to scare away their regular customers.

I often just take my burger outside and sit in the shade with my pack.

fredmugs
05-07-2014, 09:29
I would NEVER leave my pack outside at a fast food place.

Sarcasm the elf
05-07-2014, 09:40
I would NEVER leave my pack outside at a fast food place.

This!

I understand that you are trying to be courteous but I live out of my pack when I'm hiking and it is just too important to be left unattended. If i am hiking with a partner, one of us will stay outside with our packs while the other one goes inside the store, but if i'm alone, my pack stays with me.

flemdawg1
05-07-2014, 10:03
Put in the booth or wearing it. Definitely wouldn't leave by the door or outside.

Normally if I'm in a town, my pack stays in the hostel/hotel.

daddytwosticks
05-07-2014, 14:06
Just get in line with the cars and order at the drive thru speaker. :)

burger
05-07-2014, 14:14
Mine is never left outside--I drop it under the table I plan to sit at, preferably in a corner since there's extra space there. Plus, if I'm coming straight off the trial, sitting in the corner means my smell doesn't affect quite as many people.

Sarcasm the elf
05-07-2014, 14:15
Just get in line with the cars and order at the drive thru speaker. :)

My wife has ridden her horse through the Mcdonalds drive through on several occasions, turns out the horses love when she buys them the little apple pies... It's not relevant to this conversation, I just like telling people about it.

Coffee
05-07-2014, 14:21
Sometimes it is possible to drop a pack outside in a location visible from inside a restaurant. I used that approach a couple of times on my recent section hike. Of course, I do prefer to bring my pack with me and keep an eye on it at all times but I ask before doing so in order to be polite. If someone says no and I can't persuade them to leave it in a corner somewhere out of sight, then I have little choice but to leave it outside or not eat at the place. I always bring in my money, keys, and other valuables so that if the worst happens and my entire pack is stolen, I won't be totally stranded.

It never hurts to ask ... for example, Shenandoah restaurants have a policy of not allowing packs inside. At Skyland there would be no way to keep an eye on my pack. I asked a waiter if I could drop my pack under in a far corner of the bar while I ate and he let me do so. It helps to have a small looking pack free of items hanging off of it and to clean up a bit before going inside.

Dogwood
05-07-2014, 15:35
Fast food stores like Wendy's, MickyDees, Taco Bell, etc are places where people quickly come and go. I will not leave my pack out of sight or unattended. My sentiments match STE's: "I live out of my pack when I'm hiking and it is just too important to be left unattended!" If I had hiker reek I would find someplace outside under a tree, picnic table etc to eat. I'm not hyper worried about losing my backpack but I want to be mindful of the consequences of what happens should my backpack be snatched. It's happened to me twice before which was a PITA to my hikes, time, and bank account!