PDA

View Full Version : Best section for June-July section

GrandCanyonWildflowr
05-07-2014, 09:04
What section would you recommend for a June-July timeframe? I am thinking Harper's Ferry northbound. Any other teachers hiking this summer?

rafe
05-07-2014, 09:32
It's likely to be hot anywhere on the trail except possibly NH and ME, and in those two states the primary annoyance will be bugs in the lower elevations. But it's really just a continuum, not a sharp demarcation. My hottest AT hike ever was Hudson River to Great Barrington in late June. Hanover to Bennington in early August was a close second on the heat-misery scale.

Slo-go'en
05-07-2014, 10:51
Coming from Phoenix and if you've never experienced East coast humidity, your in for a bit of a shock. Your used to the heat, but the humidity snaps energy like you would not believe.

I'd start a bit farther north, like at the Hudson river in NY. You start off with reasonably easy trail, but on average it will be somewhat cooler and less humid then the mid Atlantic states and it will be much more interesting and rewarding trail to hike. When you get to the AT/LT junction in Vermont, you can decide to head towards NH or continue north on the LT to Canada. I'd probably continue on the Long Trail rather then head into NH and have to deal with the AMC and limited camping in the Whites. Of course, it all depends on how much time you have left when you get there.

FarmerChef
05-07-2014, 15:49
Coming from Phoenix and if you've never experienced East coast humidity, your in for a bit of a shock. Your used to the heat, but the humidity snaps energy like you would not believe.

I'd start a bit farther north, like at the Hudson river in NY. You start off with reasonably easy trail, but on average it will be somewhat cooler and less humid then the mid Atlantic states and it will be much more interesting and rewarding trail to hike. When you get to the AT/LT junction in Vermont, you can decide to head towards NH or continue north on the LT to Canada. I'd probably continue on the Long Trail rather then head into NH and have to deal with the AMC and limited camping in the Whites. Of course, it all depends on how much time you have left when you get there.

What Slo said. You may want to bring a head net and plenty of mosquito repellant. At that time of year they can get pretty thick though the black flies will be close on their heels depending on how the weather goes over the next month.

If you have the time and inclination, perhaps a day hike or so into the Whites for the rewarding views and then back over to the LT or something along those lines. Or, heck, just shuttle around and continue on up the AT through Maine if you don't want to deal with the AMC system. Either way, you'll enjoy great views and mildly cooler weather.

stillatit
05-07-2014, 17:20
I'll second and third the above comments. You can do some of the Whites without the $$AMC$$ bleeding you too much (S of the Presidentials). It'll be cooler and the skeeters won't AS bad as further south or north. Of course, it won't take a month or two...