PDA

View Full Version : Sad story... 22 year old hiker found dead along Long Trail in northern Vermont.

DavidNH
05-08-2014, 09:39
A 22 year old hiker out for a 3-5 day backpacking trip was found dead along the Long Trail in northern VT. He had a 70 pound pack but maybe not the right gear and experience for the conditions (early May 2014)

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/news/local/2014/05/06/hiker-found-dead-fayston-area-long-trail/8787085/

bigcranky
05-08-2014, 10:17
That's really sad. My thoughts are with him and his family.

turtle fast
05-08-2014, 11:15
Its sad. After reading the article it alludes to him having a lot of gear 70 lbs worth, but it seems not the right gear. Sounded like hypothermia in part with inexperience.

Tipi Walter
05-08-2014, 12:00
It reminds me of the story of David Decareaux and his two sons who died of hypothermia in the Ozarks. See---

http://www.ibtimes.com/father-sons-die-hiking-after-getting-lost-ozark-mountains-southeast-missouri-hypothermia-ruled-cause

saltysack
05-08-2014, 12:03
Damn sad......feel for the family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
05-08-2014, 12:10
If I'm not mistaken, hypothermia is a major killer in the category of "outdoor recreational deaths." I mean, orders-of-magnitude more common than bear or snake attacks.

There was another thread going here on WB where a poster remarked about the possibility of equipment failure leading to death. I kinda poo-poohed that idea at the time -- but I could see where, if it led to hypothermia, it could happen. Faulty raingear or footwear, a swamped tent, drenched sleeping bag... worst case scenario could be very bad indeed.

Tuckahoe
05-08-2014, 12:28
I would caution against any speculation, especially since the article is lacking any real details. Even the last quote of the article is nothing more than speculations ("However the extent of his gear and experience may not have been ample enough for the conditions he experienced overnight," state police said.), which the writer attributes only generally to the "state police."

Remember too that hypothermia can come on even under the most comfortable conditions and that it can screw with one's ability to think clearly.

Tipi Walter
05-08-2014, 12:41
I would caution against any speculation, especially since the article is lacking any real details. Even the last quote of the article is nothing more than speculations ("However the extent of his gear and experience may not have been ample enough for the conditions he experienced overnight," state police said.), which the writer attributes only generally to the "state police."

Remember too that hypothermia can come on even under the most comfortable conditions and that it can screw with one's ability to think clearly.

Yeah, you could be right. I had a 20 year old backpacking friend who went into Linville Gorge in 1982 and I saw him at the van loading up to start the group trip with a college program. He suffered a brain aneurysm in the gorge and it took many hours and a hundred people to carry him out. Sadly he passed away after an 8 month coma.

This other guy could've suffered the same thing.

TOW
05-08-2014, 14:49
very sad......

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2014, 14:58
19 year old Teen dies at the beginning of the PCT April 24 2014

Tony Perry Los Angeles Times

SAN DIEGO -- A 19-year-old man died Thursday while on a hiking trail near the Mexican border in eastern San Diego County, officials said.
The man had called his father on his cellphone to report that he felt ill while on the Pacific Crest Trail. His father alerted emergency personnel. When paramedics arrived, the young man was alert and conscious but soon passed out, Cal-Fire said. Paramedics were unable to revive him and he was declared dead at the scene. The county medical examiner will determine the cause of death.

bangorme
05-08-2014, 15:18
Didn't it sound like the guy in Vermont had left the trail?

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2014, 15:25

I agree with you - but the press is awful at follow-up. By the time the report comes out - its rare to see a post. Just like when a child dies of encephalitis due to mosquito bites they never mention the mosquitos. These were huge fears after WW2. Hence I don't buy newspapers anymore, lack of content...somewhat retarded.

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2014, 15:25
Didn't it sound like the guy in Vermont had left the trail?

...Found by helicopter off trail - must have seen the tracks.

bangorme
05-08-2014, 15:33
...Found by helicopter off trail - must have seen the tracks.

This is what I think happened to the gal that disappeared up here in Maine last year. Something goes a little wrong. People make a mistake and get off the trail. Then the difference between being a backpacker and a woodsman becomes very apparent. There's really no excuse for dying of hypothermia on the AT with even decent equipment, but people make mistakes and there is no one there to bail you out.

peakbagger
05-08-2014, 16:16
VT was in the news last year for a very poor S&R policy. Unlike NH and ME, the S&R was coordinated by the state police and there was a similar hiker death that was attributed to the State Polices lack of experience with back country rescues. The state was supposed to improve the process but I don't know what they did.

rafe
05-08-2014, 16:18
This is the third hiker death I've read about here on WB in the last couple of weeks. Is this the new normal? What's going on?

Tuckahoe
05-08-2014, 18:27
This is the third hiker death I've read about here on WB in the last couple of weeks. Is this the new normal? What's going on?

The AT is 2000+ miles with nearly as many miles of intersecting trails and millions of users. I'd say the deaths of hikers -- whether day, section or thrus -- is a reality of the trail. Nothing new or unusual happening.

Praha4
05-08-2014, 19:17
anyone know where he was found in the Fayston area? doesn't the Fayston area cover the LT on both sides of Appalachian Gap near Waitsfield, from Mt. Ellen to just south of Camel's Hump? that's one of the tougher sections of LT terrain

Deadeye
05-08-2014, 19:20
VT was in the news last year for a very poor S&R policy. Unlike NH and ME, the S&R was coordinated by the state police and there was a similar hiker death that was attributed to the State Polices lack of experience with back country rescues. The state was supposed to improve the process but I don't know what they did.

I hope you're not blaming the State Police for this kid's death. There's still 2 to 4 feet of snow on the trail.... he should have turned around.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2014, 20:14
Sad. Article said he was out to hike the "Hedgehog Trail" for 3-5 days, not the Long trail.
He should have relayed his whereabouts to his family the first call and told them to notify authorities, but he might not have been thinking right.
However his family did go to look for him, but didnt find him, THEN they notified authorities. Their decision to look for him themselves could have delayed SAR that might have saved him.
Probably a lesson in there somewhere for others to learn from.

Slo-go'en
05-08-2014, 20:25
Sad. Article said he was out to hike the "Hedgehog Trail" for 3-5 days, not the Long trail.

I found a Hedgehog Brook trail in that area, which is a fairly short side trail up to the LT south of Camels Hump. It meets the LT about a mile north of Cowles cove shelter. Those side trails are typically steep and could have been hard to follow in the snow, especially lugging a 70 pound pack full of junk. It's unlikely that trail get much of any use, even in the summer.

lemon b
05-09-2014, 09:14
Condolences to family & friends. The GMC Mag had an article on hypothermia after a tragic death couple years back. Up in that area synthetic bags are the way to go until one is certain they can keep down dry all the time. Also hypothermia is something we need to watch for in each other, since denial can be part of the process.

Tipi Walter
05-09-2014, 10:13
Condolences to family & friends. The GMC Mag had an article on hypothermia after a tragic death couple years back. Up in that area synthetic bags are the way to go until one is certain they can keep down dry all the time. Also hypothermia is something we need to watch for in each other, since denial can be part of the process.

For me backpacking is Managing Discomfort---whereby I factor in my ability and endurance to being cold and/or wet. So, I often sit out cold rains at 40F (or worse) in a zero tent day to avoid getting into an "epic" experience. I always skirt around the edges with frozen hands and hands like blocks of wood which cannot operate zippers or even undo the hipbelt of my pack.

Sometimes I reach hypothermia levels which happens usually at the end of the day atop some nameless hill in 50mph winds with sleet or rain at 30F. It sucks and I start shaking cuz I'm wet and I must have the leftover reserves to set up the tent and quickly crawl inside. Once done I can disrobe and relayer with my dry stuff but I still shake like a leaf for the next hour.

To reach such a point and not have gear (as the Ozark trio), or to give up and not have the energy needed to set up camp can turn a normal trip into life and death. PLUS, to not have the proper gear (i.e. a flimsy tarp in a sleet/blizzard, which may collapse---see Solo Girl's PCT experience)---can induce a stressful battle with Miss Nature.

We go into the woods on backpacking trips to have a good time, to commune with the Woman of the Mountains, and to eat heartily and get some righteous exercise. We do not want Surprises, the bane of backpacking. A Surprise is a broken tent pole, a broken ankle, a rattlesnake bite, a lightning strike, food poisoning, a tornado, or death by exposure whereby we are left twisting in the wind with no ability to find shelter. An experienced backpacker (no guarantees though) can drastically reduce these Surprises---mainly because he's suffered thru most of them already---or nearly so (lightning, snake). And yes, even a tornado.

winger
05-09-2014, 22:10
For me backpacking is Managing Discomfort---whereby I factor in my ability and endurance to being cold and/or wet. So, I often sit out cold rains at 40F (or worse) in a zero tent day to avoid getting into an "epic" experience. I always skirt around the edges with frozen hands and hands like blocks of wood which cannot operate zippers or even undo the hipbelt of my pack.

Sometimes I reach hypothermia levels which happens usually at the end of the day atop some nameless hill in 50mph winds with sleet or rain at 30F. It sucks and I start shaking cuz I'm wet and I must have the leftover reserves to set up the tent and quickly crawl inside. Once done I can disrobe and relayer with my dry stuff but I still shake like a leaf for the next hour.

To reach such a point and not have gear (as the Ozark trio), or to give up and not have the energy needed to set up camp can turn a normal trip into life and death. PLUS, to not have the proper gear (i.e. a flimsy tarp in a sleet/blizzard, which may collapse---see Solo Girl's PCT experience)---can induce a stressful battle with Miss Nature.

We go into the woods on backpacking trips to have a good time, to commune with the Woman of the Mountains, and to eat heartily and get some righteous exercise. We do not want Surprises, the bane of backpacking. A Surprise is a broken tent pole, a broken ankle, a rattlesnake bite, a lightning strike, food poisoning, a tornado, or death by exposure whereby we are left twisting in the wind with no ability to find shelter. An experienced backpacker (no guarantees though) can drastically reduce these Surprises---mainly because he's suffered thru most of them already---or nearly so (lightning, snake). And yes, even a tornado.

Very well stated. Our experiences in life bring wisdom, if we are lucky enough to survive them.

Wise Old Owl
05-09-2014, 22:26
OK well posted - got a url for Solo Girl TIPI? inquiring minds would like to know the rest of the story!

Tipi Walter
05-10-2014, 00:30
OK well posted - got a url for Solo Girl TIPI? inquiring minds would like to know the rest of the story!

Her real adventure begins on Day 38---

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=4a55d95de9d7af08bbc417a0f76d8b dd&entry_id=8688

double d
05-10-2014, 00:50
Thanks for all the information here about their experience with hiking stressors and management of them. Also, this young man was only 22 years old, sad indeed.