PDA

View Full Version : New Thru-hiker questions

packon
05-08-2014, 15:13
Hello everyone, First, let me just thank any of you, well, and all of you, who helped me the two times that I have section-hiked and any of you that have helped newbies, like me, over the years. I am hiking this year. I am leaving next Tuesday for Springer. I have section-hiked portions of N.C., TN and VA twice in the last 7 years. I have an opportunity right now, which may not last for long at all, to go for it. I want to see how far I can get before October the First. I am familiar with most trail etiquette, but I could use an update and refresher. My Brother has also sectioned many times more than I and is giving me all of his advice. However, I want to hit the TRAIL with the intention of getting as far as I can before the weather and finances preclude the trip. Anything. Anything you can give me about the AT this year will be greatly appreciated. Lord-willing, maybe I will see some of you these next few months. Sincerely,Pack ON (Art)

bigcranky
05-08-2014, 15:43
Awesome. Grab this opportunity and go for it.

I have a couple of pieces of advice: (1) start slow in Georgia. No reason to rush for the first three weeks or so, as you can make it up later. Start with Springer > Hawk > Gooch > Lance Creek > Neels Gap and your knees will thank you later. (2) Never quit on a bad day. This goes along with my "keep a positive attitude" advice that may come in a later post.

Good luck and happy trails!!!!! :)

he.who.forgets
05-08-2014, 16:05
I have no advice but wish you nothing but sunshine and trail magic! Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packon
05-08-2014, 18:51
bigcranky and he.who.forgets, thank you. I hope to hear again from both of you and will be posting as much as possible throughout my hike.