PDA

View Full Version : Biting bugs are already out in Maryland

Mrs Baggins
05-08-2014, 16:41
Did the Maryland Heights Trail today (above Harpers Ferry). I've done that trail countless times and in all times of the year. I cannot remember seeing the nasty little black flies or gnats are whatever they are, out swarming this early. And they're hungry! My friend and I were bitten several times and the suckers were drawing blood. I don't know how many I swallowed when taking in a breath today, but at least a dozen. They were in clouds. Sitting down to eat lunch was torture. They are usually around a lot later in the Summer and into the early Fall, not this early. Big bees are also out in herds. If we weren't trying in vain to swat the the little black bugs away, then it was the bees and they're aggressive. I usually have bug spray with me but didn't today and figured it was too soon to worry about it. It's not. :eek:

Pedaling Fool
05-08-2014, 16:47
So much for the theory that cold winters kill off all the bugs :D

Tipi Walter
05-08-2014, 19:44
I remember March of last year---hottest on record---and I did not bring my headnet cuz I thought it was still winter. Idiot. I had it for my April trip and will be bringing it for May. Just slap it over your head and forget about it. Oh, and yes I tried to drink water but forgot it was on, and tried to eat a granola bar by shoving it thru the netting. Idiocy.

Yankytyke
05-08-2014, 20:51
I was on the AT below Fayetsville PA at 2000 feet last Friday & the buggers were out. They always head for my eyes! I coat myself in off deep woods. Still they attack.

Damn Yankee
05-08-2014, 21:02
Did the James River hike with some folks from here and you could not stand still for all the flying bugs. No bites just aggravating.

adamkrz
05-08-2014, 21:44
Ticks are out in force in CT and Mass.

hopetofinish
05-08-2014, 21:49
Ticks are out in force in CT and Mass.
Biting flies/gnats were out last w/e north of the Hudson, not swarming, but consistently there. Question is, when will they peak and fade in southern New England. Hoping to head back that way in mid June.

QHShowoman
05-08-2014, 22:00
I was out in Catoctin SP in MD last weekend and got 2 mosquito bites. And the gnats were out in full force!

Yankytyke
05-08-2014, 22:17
I was out in Catoctin SP in MD last weekend and got 2 mosquito bites. And the gnats were out in full force!

National Park not State Park;) I wish they would blaze their trails!

QHShowoman
05-09-2014, 04:39
Yep. Typo on phone. Thanks for calling it out.

soulrebel
05-09-2014, 08:14
Just woke up and had a tick burrowed in under my beard. Hope it was from yesterday and not last week...

wormer
05-09-2014, 16:28
Here in central Maine, I have already pulled ticks from me and my cat.

svblur
05-09-2014, 22:00
What are the essentials for going through Maine mid June/early July to combat the bugs? Headnet and DEET/Permethrin, will pants and long sleeve shirt be necessary as well?

Sarcasm the elf
05-09-2014, 23:15
Looks to be much the same in Connecticut. I'm bringing my headnet this weekend.

Sarcasm the elf
05-09-2014, 23:16
Just woke up and had a tick burrowed in under my beard. Hope it was from yesterday and not last week...

I'm on my third week of a doxycycline course. The little buggers got me real early this year.

Pedaling Fool
05-14-2014, 09:28
So much for the theory that cold winters kill off all the bugs :D

Cold winter not slowing down tick, mosquito diseases
More tick diseases becoming common in Maine

Read more: http://www.wmtw.com/news/cold-winter-not-slowing-down-tick-mosquito-diseases/25635566#ixzz31hDoDUOT

MDSection12
05-14-2014, 13:35
Gnats and mosquitoes are unpleasant, but the two deer ticks I've pulled off myself (before they embedded luckily) are what concern me. Usually I see dog ticks and not deer.

fsacb3
05-14-2014, 13:42
In NJ/NY/CT I've experienced lots of gnats, but they don't seem to bite. They just hover and dive-bomb my eyes and ears. Very annoying. No mosquitos yet.

One day I found a couple big ticks, but no small ones. I always wear pants and have treated them with permethrin. Not sure if that's why I've not found any, but it might be. I have a headset but only plan on using it when the skeeters come, probably in MA.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-14-2014, 23:08
Gnats out strong at Harriman early in the day with black flies joining in swarms later in the day around dusk. Vicious little buggers. 30 bites = antihistamines and steroids and I 'm still itching 3 days later. Will not head out with spray and long sleeve shirt again :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lemon b
05-18-2014, 17:35
Had a couple blackfly hatches come off my brook today. Also picked a tick off myself before it settled in. Quite frankly I think I may have anti bodies that kill lyme or I would have already had it somewhere along the line. Mosquitos bother me more than anything else and alittle spray keeps them at bay.

The Cleaner
05-18-2014, 20:28
FWIW IMO you could take a dip in insect repellant and this will not deter the hoards of biting gnats. They are attracted to the moisture in your eyes. A headnet work best to keep them off of your face and eyes...

Yankytyke
05-18-2014, 20:59
FWIW IMO you could take a dip in insect repellant and this will not deter the hoards of biting gnats. They are attracted to the moisture in your eyes. A headnet work best to keep them off of your face and eyes...

True words. I can do with every other bug but these!

The Cleaner
05-18-2014, 21:26
I once read a historical account of the 1st survey crew to mark the state line from near Hot Springs to near Virginia.This was about 1787. Even they were bothered by the little bloodsuckers....

Malto
05-18-2014, 21:37
I was hiking north of the Hudson this weekend and wasn't bothered. But others on the trail certainly were. One group of women were covered head to toe and swatting pesky little gnat like bugs. I just laughed as I went by and said "the secret is don't stop." Just for grins and chuckles I did stop for a moment and was swarmed. So the key to happiness is to "speed hike" at 3+mph and don't stop to smell the roses. :)

fins1838
05-19-2014, 07:13
probably due to the above average rainfall.