PDA

View Full Version : snorring and the GSMNP shelters

Dirtyoldman
01-13-2003, 05:32
Being as I am a heavy duty snorer I was wondering what the rules are for sleeping outside of the shelters are. I have the impression that if the shelter is full there is a tent area present for the overflow. Is this correct and does the shelter need to be packed before you use the tent area or is smokie gonna force me to make everyone else suffer?

Redbeard
01-13-2003, 05:53
Tenting is allowed around the shelter, I never heard of any rules about needing to fill it.

Peaks
01-13-2003, 08:23
I think that the rules say that after the shelter is full, which means 12 people typically, then the overflow tents nearby.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2003, 08:51
Dirtyoldman, it really doesn't matter if they're full or not. I ALWAYS tent regardless. Those shelters are filthy

Sleepy the Arab
01-13-2003, 10:55
What, are you trying to stay clean while you thru-hike??

chris
01-14-2003, 08:36
Offically, you are not supposed to put up a tent at a shelter, for any reason. In practice, during the main thruhiker push and during spring break, this is ignored. During the rest of the year, nobody gets bent out of shape if people throw up a tent if the shelter is full. Many people put up tents well before the shelters fill up, however, and seem to suffer no ill-effects.

max patch
01-14-2003, 09:25
Shelter use in the GSMNP is by reservation only. Tenting outside the shelters (or anywhere in the Park) is prohibited and subject to fine if caught.

However, there is one significant exception to this regulation.

Thru-hikers (as defined by the Park) do not have to reserve a shelter spot. From April 1 thru June 15 the Park does not reserve 4 spaces in each shelter, in effect reserving these for thru-hiker use. If a thru-hiker arrives at a shelter and it is full they are then permitted to set up camp outside the shelter in an overflow area.

Max

chris
01-14-2003, 09:30
I believe that what Max wrote is correct, except for the food storage issue. The GSMNP people want all food to be stored on the bear cables provided, not inside the shelters. The mouse hangers found inside shelters are volunteer additions that are usually cut down by the park people when it is convenient for them.