PDA

View Full Version : Is there a place to camp at springer mountain?

Ricky&Jack
05-08-2014, 22:16
I live in Dalton, Georgia, about 60 miles to Amnicola Falls. I have been there once.

I was thinking about trying my first overnight hike with my 5month old husky. I was thinking the 8 miles from Amnicola Falls to Springer mountain would be a good distance for his and my first overnight hike together.

I was wondering if there is a place to camp at springer mountain. I have to assume plenty of the forum members here have been to it, since its the southern starting point of the AT.

I was wondering if there was tent camping spots, and if you need reservations, or just show up.

Also, is there anything there, like the way Amnicola Falls has a visitors center with snacks etc. Or is it basically a plaque with a bench and nothing else really there.

Looking forward to doing a trip in the next week or so.

I appreciate any help. Amnicola to Springer seems the perfect way to test mine and my dogs stamina together.

Slo-go'en
05-08-2014, 22:23
Start at the lodge parking lot, not down at the falls. If you want to see the falls, do it without a pack! The visitor center has limited services, but the lodge just up the hill has a full service restaurant (along with rooms).

Plenty of tenting near the summit (shelter area near by) and also several places along the approach trail.

Just show up.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2014, 22:28
The approach trail is 8.8 miles, and is a climb. No different from any other mild uphill on the southern AT. It does "scare" off some new thru hikers that dont want to start thier first day with a 2000 ft climb. Its not a bad one, its an easy one really. I didnt find the 600-700 steps up to the falls bad either, I ......enjoyed it. If you carry less than 25 lbs (and you should for ONE night, two days), it wouldnt be terrible.

No reservations needed, or possible.

There is nothing at springer summit but a plaque, and rocks, no bench. You are in the middle of the forest, 1 mile from the nearest forest service road. There is a shelter close to the summit, maybe 0.2 mile down side trail, with tent room. There is also the Black Gap shelter on the approach trail about 1.5 mile before you get to Springers summit, it has some room for tenting too.

An easier trip might be to park at the springer parking lot at FS42, and do an out-and-back on the more level trail northward.

Ricky&Jack
05-08-2014, 22:33
How about a water source near springer? Or since its just a 1 night trip, carry enough with me?

And I appreciate the help.

MuddyWaters
05-08-2014, 22:56
How about a water source near springer? Or since its just a 1 night trip, carry enough with me?

And I appreciate the help. Theres water at Black Gap Shelter 1.5 miles before the summit, and at the Springer shelter.

Possibly a few less reliable springs on the approach trail on the way up, but dont count on them.

Ricky&Jack
05-08-2014, 22:59
oh, great. I was looking at youtube videos and they showed "no camping" signs near the plaque on springer. So I was thinking I will just check out the plaque etc, then back track back towards the shelter area to pitch the tent. And get water since Im there.

I actually didn't know there were 2 shelters there (black gap shelter and springer shelter).... I guess that's what makes you folk the go-to place for information.

thank you

MuddyWaters
05-08-2014, 23:06
Springer shelter side trail is up the trail a short ways from the plaque, not back.

bflorac
05-08-2014, 23:38
Your 5 month old husky might not be too happy with all the steps. Instead you can take the old AT path to the right and ends up at the top of the falls. It is marked with blue blazes.

bigcranky
05-09-2014, 07:30
At the summit of Springer you'll find, spread out over a couple of acres: the Springer Mountain Shelter, a large designated tenting area, a privy, a spring (follow the signs), and the monument. Just walk up and find a spot in the camping field (it's marked) and set up your tent.

Keep in mind that your 5 month old husky will do far more miles than you on the same trip :) and that he'll keep going beyond the point of exhaustion just to stay with you. So keep an eye on him, and pretend that you're hiking with a particularly active toddler.

Ricky&Jack
05-09-2014, 12:09
thank you.

Today I picked up:

Teton Outfitter 4600 pack for me
&
mountain smith MEDIUM dog pack for dogs 40-80 lbs. (my dog is only 30lbs right now, and its big on him. But Im hoping since it's just a 1 night hike, that I can get it to tighten enough to fit on him EMPTY, and just carry his food etc in my pack......... I just really need him to get used to wearing a pack, before He gets big enough for it to fit and put weight in it..... And if he fights it too much, I can just shove his empty pack into mine for the rest of teh trip)

Hopefully we can try it out and do Amnicola to Springer in the next week or so.

MoeTCrow
05-12-2014, 13:15
I find that my pup does better if I get her used to the pack around the house first. Then the only time she sees it is when we go for a hike. She LOVES her pack now, starts bouncing like a bunny wanting it on.