PDA

View Full Version : Vibram is proposing a settlement of a class action.

Shutterbug
05-09-2014, 16:23
There are a number of different sources reporting that Vibram is offering a settlement of a class action law suit that will result in a rebate for those who bought Vibram shoes and file a claim. Several of the sources mention 5 different styles, but I have not found a list of which styles.

If the KSO Trek is one of the styles, I will get significant check. I have purchased 24 pairs!! When they discontinued the KSO Trek, I bought REI's remaining stock of my size.

I will feel just a bit guilty for accepting a settlement payment, because for me the FiveFinger shoes have done exactly what Vibram claimed. I had chronic foot pain. I had already scheduled an appointment to have foot surgery when I discovered the FiveFinger Shoes. The foot pain went away. All I wear now are the FiveFinger shoes -- even to church.

Tuckahoe
05-09-2014, 16:32
Oh God I don't mean to start what maybe a poo storm, but if you've not been harmed by the shoes and if they preformed as stated and even solved foot issues, then why participate and accept a settlement?

Starchild
05-09-2014, 16:43
From what I heard of it they totally made up a heath claim, very much just making s--- up that they pulled out of their a--.

I wouldn't feel bad about this one, they did a very big no-no.

TNhiker
05-09-2014, 16:45
I wouldn't feel bad about this one, they did a very big no-no.

just outta curiousity----what was the "big no-no" that they did?

Shutterbug
05-09-2014, 16:48
Oh God I don't mean to start what maybe a poo storm, but if you've not been harmed by the shoes and if they preformed as stated and even solved foot issues, then why participate and accept a settlement?

Yours is a fair question.

As I understand the proposed settlement, Vibram is putting up $3.75 million dollars to be divided among those who have purchased Vibrams FiveFinger Shoes. The settlement isn't for those who claim to actually have been harmed by the shoes (none of those have been identified). The idea is that everyone who bought Vibrams paid more than they would have without the advertising that claimed health benefits. I paid full price for a few of the ones I bought, but some were at deep discounts. Whete or not I file a claim will depend on the wording of the claim form.

If I don't file claim, it won't help Vibram. It will only mean that those who do fine a claim will get more.

If I do fine a claim, I will use the proceeds to make some loans on Kiva.Org.

Shutterbug
05-09-2014, 16:51
just outta curiousity----what was the "big no-no" that they did? What Vibram was accused of was making health benefit claims for their shoes that they could not back up with data. Vibram is not admitting doing anything wrong. They would rather spend their money to reward those who purchased their product than to spend it defending a class action law suit.

TNhiker
05-09-2014, 17:00
ok.....interesting.....didnt know that, as i dont use vibram shoes....

and my guess (based on me being part of a class action suit), dont expect alot of money outta it........you'll probably get less than ten bucks or something...

i think in the class action that i was part of, i got slightly under a dollar......

Tuckahoe
05-09-2014, 18:41
Yours is a fair question.

As I understand the proposed settlement, Vibram is putting up $3.75 million dollars to be divided among those who have purchased Vibrams FiveFinger Shoes. The settlement isn't for those who claim to actually have been harmed by the shoes (none of those have been identified). The idea is that everyone who bought Vibrams paid more than they would have without the advertising that claimed health benefits. I paid full price for a few of the ones I bought, but some were at deep discounts. Whete or not I file a claim will depend on the wording of the claim form.

If I don't file claim, it won't help Vibram. It will only mean that those who do fine a claim will get more.

If I do fine a claim, I will use the proceeds to make some loans on Kiva.Org.

Fair enough, and from what little I know seems more about good will all around. I do have a co-worker that had them prescribed for his foot problems and seemed to do the trick (though no chance that I would wear them).

redzombie
06-07-2014, 22:41
I have worn them since 2010. It took awhile to transition to them, but I have been grateful ever since. I just got done hiking the river to river trail here in Southern Illinois, and for stream crossing and walking in mud they are great. Easy to clean, quick to dry, light on the feet. I used to be a wildland firefighter and we had to wear specialized fire boots with vibram soles and ankle support. I remember on fires hiking up mountains ect, I would roll my ankle more in the boots with the support. With the Five fingers I don't roll my ankles, I pay attention to where I step more closely and my feet and back have done wonders. Switching to these shoes isn't for the light hearted. It take time, a long time to get your feet adjusted. Its something you have to work for. For me they work wonders, and having lightweight comfortable shoes is what it is all about.

Pedaling Fool
06-08-2014, 10:27
In my (probably uninformed) opinion this company did nothing different than most companies; yes, many of their claims were over the top, but I do believe there is something to running barefoot, based on my personal experience. However, they nearly extrapolated this to a cure for cancer...sarcasm. And they probably didn't emphasis enough the build up one must do in running barefoot, if in fact it does use muscles otherwise not used. All I know is that when I run barefoot on the beach I have sore muscles that I don't have running with shoes, but I don't really know how much of that is from the sand and how much is from an unsupported foot. But I do know it builds up callouses. And I have run barefoot on pavement and that definitely beats some weakness out of you;)

However, as I said most companies do this, but I believe the difference is that either they are not big enough to attract much attention or they are very big and have the lawyers to carefully craft their "claims" so as to protect them against lawsuits.