PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking in Kentucky

Honuben
05-09-2014, 20:49
I have recently move from Hawaii to Kentucky and this years Sobo trip has been basically shut down. I have limited access to the internet as i remodel my house and would like to plan a backpacking trip 7-14 days long to prep for a '15 Nobo AT trip. I was thinking about a section of the GET out here or maybe something else in KY.

Honuben
05-09-2014, 20:52
Shut down by my internet... But could anyone recommend a good hike / backpacking trip in the Louisville, KY area?

The Solemates
05-09-2014, 21:15
knobstone trail, IN

The Solemates
05-09-2014, 21:16
mammoth cave np

gof
05-10-2014, 01:52
There are some trails up in Ohio. Most notably the Shawnee Backpack Trail near Portsmouth, Ohio. Google is your friend.

KYLarry
05-10-2014, 06:44
It‘s not in Louisville, but Kentucky has the Sheltowee Trace Trail that goes through the Daniel Boone National Forest in the eastern part of the state. Check out the Sheltowee Trace Association web page, as they are always organizing section and through-hikes for STA members. Www.sheltoweetrace.org

Sent from my ME302C using Tapatalk

Bati
05-10-2014, 08:59
It‘s not in Louisville, but Kentucky has the Sheltowee Trace Trai

Or just wander around in the Red River Gorge for a week or two instead of following the Trace through it. The Eastern part of Kentucky has some incredible scenery and it's not that far of a drive from Louisville.

Jebo
05-12-2014, 09:09
The Big South Fork National Park on KY/TN border has some great multi-day hiking and camping trails.

Jebo
05-12-2014, 09:12
Welcome to Kentucky!

Honuben
05-13-2014, 06:55
Thank you all. i will be out check those out. I have never lived here before and needed a a good starting point.

Gambit McCrae
05-13-2014, 08:40
Sheltowee Trace, and Big South Fork in General are great for flat multi day trips. You could walk for a good 2 weeks in BSF and then annex over to the sheltowee trace via the john muir trail. Or if you would like something more mountainous the AT IS only a couple hours away from KY

fredmugs
05-13-2014, 17:42
knobstone trail, IN

Agreed. Starting at the southern end you can go up 40 miles, do a 9 mile loop, and then you have 40 miles back. Check out the website because parts of the trail have been closed.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/outdoor/4224.htm

Pringles
05-13-2014, 21:59
West of Louisville, in Indiana, is the Adventure Trail. It's in Wyandott State Forest (I may have spelled Wyandott wrong). It's maybe 25 miles long, and has a few shelters. Water is usually available from ponds--boil rather than filtering, filters clog almost immediately. It's nice oak forest, and there are some real hills.

Pringles

SonrisaJo
05-17-2014, 13:15
You cannot go wrong on the Pine Mountain Trail which hosts the Great Eastern Trail. All the maps and guides are online for free: http://www.pinemountaintrail.com/maps
A fabulous trail. Cannot say enough good things about it.

Honuben
05-17-2014, 18:58
Sonrisa, thats the trail I'm leaning towards. I just need the rest of my gear to float here. This summer i'm going to spend alot of time out there.

SonrisaJo
05-19-2014, 03:19
Sonrisa, thats the trail I'm leaning towards. I just need the rest of my gear to float here. This summer i'm going to spend alot of time out there.

I've got some pictures online:
http://www.gethiking.net/search/label/pine%20mtn%20trail

Alas, I didn't get pictures of the beautiful shelters. Black Bear Shelter in Kingdom Come St Park (on the Little Shepherd Trail section of the PMT) was modeled after the famous Partnership Shelter on the AT. Adena, Flamingo, and the new one near Birch Knob are all great!

The side trail to Skyview Rock Shelter is very worth it. I don't see it on the maps. It is north of Hwy 23 and there is a sign for it when you get there. The side trail is overgrown and steep but the rock formation is just so cool.

Happy hiking!

Robb871
05-20-2014, 20:58
Just got back from Red River Gorge. It's beautiful there right now, but then again it's probably beautiful everywhere. I recommend the gorge, Big South Fork, or Sheltowee. Gonna have to check out Pine Mountain as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cookerhiker
05-25-2014, 20:27
All good ideas above. Since you're new to KY (welcome), I'd recommend starting at the Red River Gorge which you can reach in less than 2 hours. The Gorge, along with the adjacent Natural Bridge State Park, is replete with arches, rock houses, clifflines, and more. If you want to car camp, your choice is the state park or Koomer Ridge campground in the national forest.