PDA

View Full Version : Lunch ideas, other than the usual that come to mind?

Different Socks
05-10-2014, 10:01
Here's my list of ideas for lunch when I do the trail again in 2 years:

Granola bars
Fruit bars
Pop tarts
candy bars
tortillas or bagels w/nutella or peanut butter with honey or jelly
Rice cakes w/nutella or peanut butter
Cheese and crackers
jerky
sardines--plain or with crackers
salsa with chips or crackers
trail mix
flavored pretzels w/nutella or peanut butter

Can anyone help me with other suggestions, no matter how different they are, and especially if they are tasty?

bigcranky
05-10-2014, 10:22
Instant hummus mix and a cucumber on pita or tortillas or just crackers.

Slack-jawed Trog
05-10-2014, 11:12
Sardines are good, and just got better. I recently saw sardines in vacuum sealed pouches at Stop & Shop. I've enjoyed tuna, salmon and chicken on the trail from pouches, now I can add sardines to my food bag. I know that cans don't weigh much more but the cans are messier and more of a hassle to deal with than a pouch. YMMV, and invariably will...

johnnybgood
05-10-2014, 11:12
Ramen noodles ...just kidding ! I didn't see them on your list. The Lipton soups are easy to do and are tasty. Chile + pasta noodles are quick and easy to heat up. Quesadillas , also campers style stew in a pouch.

Bronk
05-10-2014, 11:15
Grilled cheese and other variations. I use the lid to my pot for this, but I saw a guy just outside of Damascus using just a round piece of sheet metal he had cut to fit inside his pot that he held with his pot grabber. Some people don't bring bread because it will get squished, but I've always found that if I tie the bag to the outside of my pack I can eat more than half of it before it starts to get banged up. And if you're making it into a grilled sandwich keeping it nice and fluffy isn't as important. When the bread does get really mangled smear some peanut butter or cheese on it and squish it into little balls and pop them in your mouth.

Some good variations on grilled cheese:

Pepperoni, provolone and tomato sauce (pizza).
Swiss cheese, onion slice and tomato slice.
Salami, pepperoni and provolone.
Ham and swiss or cheddar cheese.
Fried egg and cheese.
Bacon (pre-cooked) and cheese (I like swiss or cheddar with bacon).
Peanut butter. Its like peanut butter toast only its a sandwich.

Leanthree
05-10-2014, 11:18
I just got my hands on some chocolate peanut butter. Sort of like Nutella, but cheaper. Glorious with most anything but especially dried fruit or on a pita with some jam.

daddytwosticks
05-10-2014, 11:42
Salami and swiss cheese on a whole wheat tortilla. Don't forget the Grey Poupon! :)

saltysack
05-10-2014, 11:50
Here's my list of ideas for lunch when I do the trail again in 2 years:

Granola bars
Fruit bars
Pop tarts
candy bars
tortillas or bagels w/nutella or peanut butter with honey or jelly
Rice cakes w/nutella or peanut butter
Cheese and crackers
jerky
sardines--plain or with crackers
salsa with chips or crackers
trail mix
flavored pretzels w/nutella or peanut butter

Can anyone help me with other suggestions, no matter how different they are, and especially if they are tasty?

I often eat pb and Nutella but how do u pack jelly? Indiv packets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffee
05-10-2014, 11:55
I used to plan on a mid day meal but now I just have "snacks" all day long. On my last hike, I typically had two clif bars (around 500 calories) plus trail mix (another 500 calories) to consume between breakfast and dinner. 1,000 calories during the hiking day proved insufficient but I did like the idea of just snacking all day long rather than stopping to prepare something larger mid day. That being said, last year I did eat dehydrated hummus and tortillas several times and it was pretty good and filling so I might go back to that again, maybe on lower mileage days when I can stop for an hour or so for lunch.

Different Socks
05-10-2014, 13:12
I often eat pb and Nutella but how do u pack jelly? Indiv packets?

Got my hands on several several doz of those little packets. Figured if i can keep them om gettng squished, I'll take them along to use on tortillas or bagels or pita bread or......?

Different Socks
05-10-2014, 13:13
I used to plan on a mid day meal but now I just have "snacks" all day long. On my last hike, I typically had two clif bars (around 500 calories) plus trail mix (another 500 calories) to consume between breakfast and dinner. 1,000 calories during the hiking day proved insufficient but I did like the idea of just snacking all day long rather than stopping to prepare something larger mid day. That being said, last year I did eat dehydrated hummus and tortillas several times and it was pretty good and filling so I might go back to that again, maybe on lower mileage days when I can stop for an hour or so for lunch.

Ohhhhhh! Clif Bars, I knew I was forgetting something and I can use those for a dessert too! Thanks for the heads up.

rafe
05-10-2014, 13:38
Salty stuff in summer. Pepperoni, summer sausage, pepperjack cheese. (Good for a couple days w/o refigeration, but double- or triple-wrap it 'cuz it gets greasy.) Those peanut-butter-and-cracker snacks for kids' lunches. Pretzels.

Sweet stuff (e.g. Nutella) when it's cold.

Pop tarts never quite worked for me, too processed or something.

Peanut M&Ms never get old, yummy year round, pack well.

saltysack
05-10-2014, 13:40

Where do you find dehydrated hummus??

Starchild
05-10-2014, 13:41
I find that individual sealed servings of cold cuts such as ham, turkey ect, will be good for the first and second lunch, possibly stretching to the 3rd. That is as long as you keep it sealed till you are ready to use it all. Harder preserved ones such as salami pretty much indefinite shelf life on the trail. Add the cheese of your choice and don't forget the condiment packs and some form of bread.

Coffee
05-10-2014, 13:45

Never found it anywhere locally so I ordered a case from Amazon. The Fantastic Foods product.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Foods-Hummus-Garbanzo-Beans/dp/B000GZUA7W

Tuckahoe
05-10-2014, 14:38

I've dehydrated my own hummus which works out very well, but I do not recall see it available otherwise. Minimus has single serve packs -- http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=Hummus

Packit Gourmet has the same individual servings as well -- http://www.packitgourmet.com/WildGardenSunDriedTomatoHummusDip.html

saltysack
05-10-2014, 14:53
I've dehydrated my own hummus which works out very well, but I do not recall see it available otherwise. Minimus has single serve packs -- http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=Hummus

Packit Gourmet has the same individual servings as well -- http://www.packitgourmet.com/WildGardenSunDriedTomatoHummusDip.html

Thx...this looks perfect...I'll give a try

bigcranky
05-10-2014, 17:01
Fantastic Foods powdered hummus (http://www.fantasticfoods.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Entrees+and+Side+Dishes) is available in granola-type food stores. Whole Foods, health food stores, etc.

Malto
05-10-2014, 20:16
I did PNB and a variety of jelly on tortillas every day. Never did get sick of it. There's also a bonus, the gas from the PNB will help propel you down the trail. As far as jelly, couple of options, individual packets or take a small jar out of town. You can carry a lightweight plastic jar to carry the jelly and this will last for several days. I do not recommend using the refillable tubes. They are a pain to fill, leak and the clips can break.

jimmyjam
05-10-2014, 21:30
Oreos dipped in peanut butter. Protein plus sugar for that instant power

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

saltysack
05-10-2014, 21:52

I like this!!

jimmyjam
05-10-2014, 21:59
I like this!!

I kinda came across it by accident. But it really is very good. Power you right over those mountains.

Different Socks
05-11-2014, 08:46

Interesting combination and suggestion!

fredmugs
05-11-2014, 10:43
Last year in Washington state I had Nutella and whole grain tortillas pretty much everyday for lunch.

saltysack
05-11-2014, 11:12
Last year in Washington state I had Nutella and whole grain tortillas pretty much everyday for lunch.

Pb and Nutella is a great combo on wg tortillas add peanut m&m...

Coffee
05-11-2014, 13:18
Fantastic Foods powdered hummus (http://www.fantasticfoods.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Entrees+and+Side+Dishes) is available in granola-type food stores. Whole Foods, health food stores, etc.
I wasn't able to find it at several such stores near where I live. Luckily the product turned out to be pretty good. I had way more than I needed for my hike and was mixing up the stuff at home for a couple of months since it expired surprisingly soon for dry food.

I am trying to move toward a strategy of resupplying only with commonly found foods in small to medium sized grocery stores rather than sending boxes. I will experiment with resupplying as I go along on my hikes this year. The idea of sending boxes for my PCT thru hike is pretty overwhelming. Would be so much better to learn how to nutritiously resupply from stores where possible.

Patrickjd9
05-11-2014, 20:53
This packaged German bread is filling and travels well, since it is dense. Have used it a couple of times before, and enjoyed it last trip. Split the rye loaf between two days, once with peanut butter (good) and then Marmalade (messy) on my last trip.

http://www.mestemacher-gmbh.com/

mrcoffeect
05-12-2014, 07:23
I often will make instant mashed potatoes, with a pouch of tuna mixed in or crumble some shelf stable bacon in it. And some cheese if I have some. It only takes like three minutes to make. Very filling

wannahike
05-12-2014, 13:00
Dehydrated refried beans, tortillas and some salsa packs or dehydrated salsa. Delicious and add cheese if you have it
Fantastic foods makes these and black beans too.

slbirdnerd
05-12-2014, 15:27
Last time I was out I squeezed a packet of Smooth Operator peanut butter (better than Justins), a grape jelly packet and a honey packet into half a wheat pita. It was great! For my upcoming long trip, also contemplating summer sausage/cheese for the start, and the occasional Clif Bar. Day 1: Subway! :)

scudder
05-12-2014, 17:34
i brought along some pesto on my most recent hike. it really livens up a sandwich, crackers andwhatever, or even ramen.

Whistler80
05-12-2014, 18:12
I like to carry small wraps, mustard and mayo packets with single serve tuna pouches. Mix and spread.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2014, 23:26
I take a quick pass round Trader Joes. TJ's Smoked Trout, Smoked Provolone, Artisan White Wine Salami (no refrigeration required) Cabot Seriously Sharp, Triscuits or Wheat Thins. Granny Smith Apples. Dense calorie & seed breads are helpful. Homemade Bacon Lard keeps very well on the trail.

There are 39 calories in 1 teaspoon of Bacon Grease.

Calorie breakdown: 100% fat, 0% carbs, 0% protein.
100 percent energy!

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2014, 23:35
Uh at any food market..ask for Manischewitz Mediterranean Chick Pea dip mix..

make sure you have oil for this and paprika. (Reasonably priced)