PDA

View Full Version : Weekend hike - Alberts' Mtn included?

Smile
09-25-2005, 14:44
I'd like to do a weekend, or 3 - 4 day hike which would include the steep climb up Albert Mtn, (disputedly a tough climb? tell me your experience), and want to know the easiest on/off points to do this in a week or two.

Thanks for any advice!

eric_plano
09-25-2005, 15:05
Hello Smile,

I can't answer the on/off points but just wanted to say the trail around Albert Mountain is fairly level. The ascent is the only part that has any real elevation change and is a nice climb :)
I imagine it wouldn't be much fun with ice etc. but I had no problems hopping up it on a normal day.

Big Dawg
09-25-2005, 15:10
I'd like to do a weekend, or 3 - 4 day hike which would include the steep climb up Albert Mtn, (disputedly a tough climb? tell me your experience), and want to know the easiest on/off points to do this in a week or two.

Thanks for any advice!I don't have info at hand for on/off points,,,, but would like to comment about the climb up Albert Mtn. Definitely a nice climb, w/ cool boulders, stairsteps, etc,,,,, but in my humble opinion, that last stretch is steep, but not terribly difficult. It's not a long climb, so you get up it pretty fast. Of course, it all depends on your level of ability. When I went up it (section hike in 12/01), I had 50lbs on the back, was in decent shape, & enjoyed it very much. I had to stop a few times to rest, but overall, one of the many favorite climbs of the AT, so far for me. :D

Nightwalker
09-25-2005, 17:12

Thanks for any advice!
Albert mtn., like Blood mtn., is a highly over-feared climb. Yes it's very steep. But it's also very short.

I went up it at the end of a long hard day, in a hailstorm. I would have regretted bypassing it.

However, as has been said, there is a very easy bypass trail. No one but you will know, so do what you want when you get there!

:D

Smile
09-25-2005, 17:27
Thanks for the great feedback so far. I actually want to hike just to do this climb one weekend. I've heard alot about how it drops off and is dangerous, but sounds like it's over hyped from the entries here - and also pretty short. I love to climb so don't think the alternate route would be an option, plus shorter mileage I assume... (?)

generoll
09-25-2005, 17:51
The Standing Indian loop is one of the nicer hikes in this area. Park at the backcountry kiosk and hike up Kimsey Creek trail to the AT. Then you can stay at the Standing Indian shelter, camp on top of Standing Indian, or hike on to Beech Gap and camp there. All goos places with water accessible. The next day you have the option of camping at the shelter at Carter Gap, camping at Betty Gap (low and may be wet) or hiking up Albert Mtn (short and steep) and then staying at the shelter which is a short distance past Albert Mtn (name escapes me). Then on your final day you can hike on to ehat I think is the Long Branch trail which will bring you out right by your car at the back country kiosk in the NFS campground there at Standing Indian. An excellent two or three day loop hike, depending on how far you want to hike each day.

orangebug
09-25-2005, 19:19
The shelter past Albert Mtn is a good one. Long Branch Trail starts at Glassmine Gap, and there has been a sign identifying that mild gap. It would be reasonable to continue on to Rock Gap shelter and the road access, than do the road walk back into the state park.

This is a fine long weekend loop. I always encourage folks to try to stay on Standing Indian's summit overnight, as this is a holy place, with fabulous skies and sunsets.

Smile
09-25-2005, 20:34
orangebug, tell me more about Standing Indian's summit, is there a special history behind it, sounds like a great place to stay, especially if there is a spiritual story behind it.

Big Dawg
09-25-2005, 21:02
I always encourage folks to try to stay on Standing Indian's summit overnight, as this is a holy place, with fabulous skies and sunsets.
What a cool camping spot!! This was my 1st night's stay on a 50+ mile section hike I did in 2001 (which included the Albert Mtn climb), & let me tell ya,,, camping on top of Standing Indian Mtn ranks up there as one of the best camping spots ever for me. I tend to enjoy "top of the mountain" camping-(I'll never forget Max Patch), although it's not always wise, like during storms, usually no water, etc. But, when the opportunity arises, I jump on it. Something about hanging out at camp in the evening/morning w/ an incredible view, & of course starting your next day hiking down is always a plus. Standing Indian summit has water pretty close to the top. The top is like a little pinnacle, w/ the very top being mostly flat, & w/ one side open for views & the remaining sides enclosed by trees/rhodedendron. The mostly flat top is basically a "clear of trees/brush" area about 30 feet in diameter. There's enough flat area for about 2 to 3 small tents. Definitely will be a repeat visit for me. If you plan to camp on top, get there relatively early so you beat someone else w/ the same idea. In Dec/2001, we got there about 3pm, & 2 different set's of hikers came shortly after planning to camp there. Our tents were already up, & there was no more room, so they had to camp in the woods w/ no view,,,, awwwwwwww. Anyway, just wanted to give my .02

Enjoy your hike, Smile!! Give us a report when you get back, OK!! :sun

orangebug
09-26-2005, 06:55
orangebug, tell me more about Standing Indian's summit, is there a special history behind it, sounds like a great place to stay, especially if there is a spiritual story behind it.The story is that there was an Indian brave given the task of standing guard to warn of a warring tribe. He fell asleep. His village was destroyed and survivors placed into slavery.

The Great Spirit saw the young brave's shame and failure, transforming him into a mountain that will always faithfully guard his Nation.

Spend a night there. You will feel it.

springerfever
09-26-2005, 07:55
The shelter on the other side of Mt. Albert is Big Spring...good spring close to the shelter and a new mouldering privy closeby. Its got the reputation of having a high mouse population, but last time I was there, all was quiet.

Generoll advice is perfect.......this is a great loop and keeps you from having to mess with two cars. Trailhead at Backcountry is safe and this loop gives you plenty of options. View from Mt. Albert can be magnificient..particularly at daybreak.

This loop in late May, early June is my alltime favorite 2-3 day hike due to the profusion of native azaleas and rhododendron in bloom; like walking in a garden/greenhouse.....

Couple of months ago on Standing Indian ridge we saw an Indian pipe.....a very rare plant that is delicate and has no chlorophyll.....
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/IMAGES/ghost7-24-04_1.jpg

Youngblood
09-26-2005, 09:11
...Couple of months ago on Standing Indian ridge we saw an Indian pipe.....a very rare plant that is delicate and has no chlorophyll.....

I saw these Indian Pipes just north of Albert Mountain: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1325/sort/1/cat/500/page/1 .