PDA

View Full Version : Support for Appalachian Trail Hike with Epilepsy

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 01:28
Rando Leon
47 Elizabeth St.
Crawfordville, Florida 32327
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (850) 274 - 6928 (tel:(850) 274 - 6928)
http://www.gofundme.com/randodiaz

Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder in the United States after migraine, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease.

When I was 15 I was hit by a car ever since I have suffered from Seizures. At the age of 32 I was put on Disability due to my Seizures, I am 51 now.

I am planning to go on a grand and epic journey, one that I have dreamed of since I was 21, On March 12, 2015, I will begin my northbound hike of the Appalachian Trail beginning in Georgia and ending in Maine over 2,200 miles. On average it takes about 6 months to complete, at least those are my plans if not it will be in 2016 or 2017. Due that I need to save up for gear and everything that goes along with such a grand epic adventure.

It is just so hard to save on such a limited budget such as Disability, I live on $10,800 a year which makes it so hard to live let alone save.

So what I looking for is Sponsors or your help funding my trip, any donations will help, even a donation of $1 or any gear you can donate, I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review. I will greatly appreciate it! I am also in search of Sponsors, Thank You for your time and please remember ANY and ALL HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review.

Of course if I am sponsored I will follow any rules my sponsor will ask of me and use whatever gear they want me to use.

All money raised will be used toward the purchase of food, clothing, gear and expenses while on the trail. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

I am planning on keeping a blog so all that donate can keep up with me on the trail, I will also take pictures and video. I will send email updates of my trip to all donators!

Also, please share this link with others who may be interested in hearing about or supporting this journey.

Thank You for all your support!

Those who donate $30 will receive postcards from my trip.

Those who donate $50 will receive a booklet with photos from the trail.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2014, 06:56
this is a vacation. pay for it yourself

canoe
05-11-2014, 07:28
With all the money that is left over will be split ....rotflmao

canoe
05-11-2014, 07:31
Here is something else to think about. You will probably loose that disability check when they find out you are going on a 2100 plus mile walk through the mountians. Or is that disability not that bad?

harmonjazzman
05-11-2014, 07:45
What happens when you're a hundred miles from any medical treatment and have a seizure? I've had friends with epilepsy, and it's terrifying when they seize. No offense, but I'd hate to come across someone seizing on the trail or at camp. Not to discourage your thru but this seems a highly dangerous goal...

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 11:03
I will not be the first hiker with epilepsy to do the AT and whoever thinks this will be a vacation I feel sorry for you.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 11:08
Search for this on google read his story you will find the David S. Hannibal, 25, of Baltimore County story he did it way back in 1997, now meds r much better and the condition is completely different for everyone who has it.

Persistence, pills fuel epileptic's 2,160-mile hike

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 11:10
I'd like to see anyone judging me try to live on $10,800 a year then talk to me.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 11:10
..... whoever thinks this will be a vacation I feel sorry for you.

It IS a vacation. If you think of it in some other light you are just fooling yourself.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 11:11
And I will be taking pics giving my donations I am not a thief!

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 11:30
So I guess if you r on disability you can't have any dreams of doing anything. And it also means you can't help fellow human beings for help. Well sorry then I apologize.

By the way Happy Mother's Day to everyone.

Tuckahoe
05-11-2014, 11:49
I have no idea what your situation is or what you have to deal with. So all I will say is that what people are going to see and balk at is that your not able to work because of a disability. In turn you wish to embark on a journey that is more physically and mentally demanding than so many occupations. I hope that you can appreciate some of the skepticism.

I wish you luck.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 12:00
I understand people's criticism, but please don't judge unless you know the whole story and situation of my condition. Hopefully I will meet some of you on a hike and I think you would understand. Anyway I am sorry if I have offended or upset anyone that is not my goal so I sincerely apologize to everyone ahead of time.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 12:37
I'm sure that there are many folks on here that have dream vacations that they cannot afford. Sorry to be so blunt but choosing to hike for six months IS a vacation. Once you realize this it will help.

Sampson
05-11-2014, 12:53
I'll never understand why people always feel the need to jump in and discourage these types of endeavors. It's almost as if they couldn't care less for whatever the cause, they just need to scold the poster for asking for money, cause be damned! If you're not interested, don't donate or follow. It's really that simple.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 12:56
Discourage? No

Be real? Yes

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 12:57
Double post

Coffee
05-11-2014, 13:11
I hope the OP succceeds in his thru hike attempt. However, the skepticism regarding being on disability while embarking on something as physically demanding as a thru hike is warranted. I find it impossible to believe that anyone capable of thru hiking cannot find some type of physically hands-on occupation.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2014, 13:14
I'll never understand why people always feel the need to jump in and discourage these types of endeavors. It's almost as if they couldn't care less for whatever the cause, they just need to scold the poster for asking for money, cause be damned! If you're not interested, don't donate or follow. It's really that simple.

what cause? he's not raising money for any cause or charity

rafe
05-11-2014, 13:17
what cause? he's not raising money for any cause or charity

He says: "All money raised will be used toward the purchase of food, clothing, gear and expenses while on the trail. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy."

Coffee
05-11-2014, 13:20
How likely is it for him to raise anywhere near what his own expenses will be on the trail? Chances of any leftovers for charity are quite low. He's primarily asking for money for his hike. Charity money is a hypothetical and unlikely residual.

Lone Wolf
05-11-2014, 13:23
He says: "All money raised will be used toward the purchase of food, clothing, gear and expenses while on the trail. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy."

100% of any $$ raised should go to EFF/ATC. food, gear, clothing, and expenses should come out of his own pocket. that's how it works in the real world

MuddyWaters
05-11-2014, 13:37
I'd like to see anyone judging me try to live on $10,800 a year then talk to me.

The issue people have, is you are admittedly working the system. Someone disabled enough not to work, could not hike the AT.

Realize that honest, hardworking people that pay taxes also fund all the government assistance that you probably recieve, so they have a right to be critical of anyone that takes a vacation while receiving any assistance. This comes up frequently.

Yeah poor people want to vacation too, so what. Earn it.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 14:24
Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. It was my mistake in the posting. Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 14:26
To all research it if you don't believe me I am not the first disabled person to try a thru hike of the AT.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 14:50
I have corrected the gofund page.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 14:58
Here it is:

Rando Leon
47 Elizabeth St.
Phone: (850) 274 - 6928

Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder in the United States after migraine, stroke, and Alzheimer’s disease.

When I was 15 I was hit by a car ever since I have suffered from Seizures. At the age of 32 I was put on Disability due to my Seizures, I am 51 now.

I am planning to go on a grand and epic journey, one that I have dreamed of since I was 21, On March 12, 2015, I will begin my northbound hike of the Appalachian Trail beginning in Georgia and ending in Maine over 2,200 miles. On average it takes about 6 months to complete, at least those are my plans if not it will be in 2016 or 2017. Due that I need to save up for gear and everything that goes along with such a grand epic adventure.

It is just so hard to save on such a limited budget such as Disability, I live on $10,800 a year which makes it so hard to live let alone save.

So what I looking for is Sponsors or your help funding my trip, any donations will help, even a donation of $1 or any gear you can donate, I am also willing to test gear and return it with my review. I will greatly appreciate it! I am also in search of Sponsors, Thank You for your time and please remember ANY and ALL HELP is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Of course if I am sponsored I will follow any rules my sponsor will ask of me and use whatever gear they want me to use.

All money raised will be used toward the purchase of clothing, gear and expenses for the trail. Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

I am planning on keeping a blog so all that donate can keep up with me on the trail, I will also take pictures and video. I will send email updates of my trip to all donators! Also, please share this link with others who may be interested in hearing about or supporting this journey.

You can contact me at:

Rando Leon
47 Elizabeth St.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 14:58
Here it is:

Rando Leon
47 Elizabeth St.

All money raised will be used toward the purchase of clothing, gear and expenses for the trail. Just to be clear I am expecting my cost to come to about $2500 to $3000 and to donate the rest. Any money that is not used by the finish of my journey will be split into two donations one for half for The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and the other half to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

Since I am on disability I am using my $800 every month while on the trail. I am being honest about this, but I can't barely save anything while here at home due to rent, light and internet. Once on the trail I will not have those cost due to the fact I will be looking to move once my hike is over and I am giving up my apartment when I start the hike. And I will be giving proof of my donations to everyone with proof from the Epilepsy Foundation of Florida and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy and by the way I am not hiding from anyone as you see my name, address, email and phone are all listed, I am not trying to scam anyone I am just being honest about my situation.

I am planning on keeping a blog so all that donate can keep up with me on the trail, I will also take pictures and video. I will send email updates of my trip to all donators! Also, please share this link with others who may be interested in hearing about or supporting this journey.

You can contact me at:

Rando Leon
47 Elizabeth St.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 15:02
Everyone can judge for themselves I am no scammer or thief, I am just being honest and no one has to help me if they don't want to.

Damn Yankee
05-11-2014, 16:07
Everyone has a dream, mine is also a thru-hike. I would also like to take a dug-out canoe and paddle the Amazon or fly fishing for Tarpon in S. America. He is asking for help whether we view it as wrong is beside the point. We have the power to either make this happen or not. While I am in no position to donate money, I could pay forward some equipment which would off-set some of the cash needed for equipment. That said, if the OP would contact me off board, I will be glad to do what I can.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 16:11
Damn Yankee call me when you like I deeply appreciate it, Thank You.

Last Call
05-11-2014, 16:52
I'd say go for it; there is another hiker with the initials of DJ that is hiking without funds, only food stamps. I believe he is in New Jersey or New York now, much further than the naysayers said he would make it. In comparison, with a budget of $850 a month you should be able to live like a king!

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 17:05
$850/mo, with no other responsibilities, is certainly doable. Little to no additional money would be needed.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 18:04
The help and money is basically like I said for the clothes and gear for the hike and the rest of the money is to donate. Yes I am sure I can make it on my check, just need the gear that's why my plans are for 2015, 2016 or 2017 it all depends on having the necessary gear.

Damn Yankee
05-11-2014, 19:02
For some the reality or feasibly of living your dream is extremely tough. As most of you know, I hope to hike with "Warrior Hike" next year but, if that plan falls through I will reapply. The reality is, if I don't get to hike with them I most likely won't be able to support my own hike or live my dream. I'm glad I could at least make his dream a little more feasible no matter how small the donation and if he never makes it oh well, it's a dream.

Slo-go'en
05-11-2014, 19:52
You'd think soliciting funds to pay for a thru hike on a hiking forum would be a good idea, but as you can read from the comments so far, that is not the case. All of us paid for our hikes out of our own pockets (well, the vast majority) and many of us live on a very modest income. Plus we're saving up for our own hikes.

The "gofundme" web site is a rip off IMOHO. All they do is send a message to all your facebook friends telling them your looking for a hand out. Then if anyone does send you money, they keep 10%. What a deal. (you might have to check out if money given to you on gofundme would be considered income).

Apparently you can earn an additional $720 a month without affecting the amount of SSDI you get. In fact, they want people like you to go out and earn a little extra income on your own. Since your epilepsy is sufficiently under control that you think you can thru hike with out problems, there is no reason you can't go get at least a part time fast food job to earn the extra money you need for gear and most of what you'll need to pay for the trip.

Now this bring us to another question. Have you ever gone on a backpacking trip before? And if not, what makes you think you can hike for 5 months and that you will like it? Are you physically active outdoors or have you be sitting on the couch the last 40 years? While a common saying around here is "it's only walking", in reality it is both physically and mentally challenging.

Yes, there have been people who have been ill prepared physically or have medical issues or disabilities who have completed a thru hike, but these are rare and exceptional people. Maybe your one of them, but with no history to draw on the chances are good your one of the 8 out of 10 who don't get far. The average completion rate is about 20 to 25%. But if you start out with a disadvantage, such as a lack of experience, a medical condition or other disability, your chances go down dramatically.

A thru hike can be an interesting and life changing event, but actually after the first month or so it's mostly drudgery. You'd be much better off planning a shorter hike to start, say a few weeks or a month. Not only is it more affordable (which means you can do more of them), but you'll learn if this really is something you'd enjoy and are capable of doing before making a major commitment.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 20:04
I used to hike when I was a kid plus as an adult used to hike in the blue ridge mountains, and no I'm not a couch potato.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 20:07
Thank you for thoughts on this it is greatly appreciated. Used to hike when I was a kid and as an adult hiked and camped in the Blue Ridge Mountains and yes that was years ago in my late 20's early 30's. I am not a couch potatoe.

Rando1925
05-11-2014, 20:10
Even if I don't get help I will Thru hike the AT it will be later in life but I will complete one dream at least at whatever age.

MuddyWaters
05-11-2014, 22:35
While a common saying around here is "it's only walking", in reality it is both physically and mentally challenging.

Aint it the truth. My son currently plays HS football and lacrosse, and is in pretty good shape. they do football conditioning yearround, and lacrosse is a running sport.. A few weeks back I took him to NC. We did a 19 mile day that covered the northbound climb out of NOC and Jacobs ladder. My sons comment at the end of the day was " This wasnt just the hardest day Ive ever had hiking, this was the hardest day Ive ever had in my life", and "this put 96 sprint day in football conditioning to shame".

He was only carrying about 15 lb pack as well that day.

kennajm
05-12-2014, 14:47
I have to quit my job in order to hike next year so I won't be earning any money. So, if anyone wants to throw some money my way that would be totally awesome. Also, how do I get the government to give me a paycheck while I'm gone? I paid them A LOT of money this past year so they should owe me some too, right?

Sorry that people on here are relatively bitter about this, but I've worked my a$$ off for a long time to be able to go next year. Most of us have. Someone using government money and handouts to accomplish the same task will tend to rub people wrong. I had a lady get angry at me at the gas station over the weekend because I wouldn't give her my debit card so she could have a tank of gas. I didn't know this lady. Is this what society has come to? She was literally giving me a guilt trip because she couldn't afford a tank of gas. I guess she was too poor to drive, but too proud to take the bus.

It's frustrating that I'm up at the crack of dawn every morning to get to work while others just live with their hands out. I understand you have medical issues, but honestly, to reiterate what everyone said:

If you can hike the Appalachian Trail, you can go to work every day and earn it just the way the rest of us did.

MDSection12
05-12-2014, 15:41
I have to quit my job in order to hike next year so I won't be earning any money. So, if anyone wants to throw some money my way that would be totally awesome. Also, how do I get the government to give me a paycheck while I'm gone? I paid them A LOT of money this past year so they should owe me some too, right?

Sorry that people on here are relatively bitter about this, but I've worked my a$$ off for a long time to be able to go next year. Most of us have. Someone using government money and handouts to accomplish the same task will tend to rub people wrong. I had a lady get angry at me at the gas station over the weekend because I wouldn't give her my debit card so she could have a tank of gas. I didn't know this lady. Is this what society has come to? She was literally giving me a guilt trip because she couldn't afford a tank of gas. I guess she was too poor to drive, but too proud to take the bus.

It's frustrating that I'm up at the crack of dawn every morning to get to work while others just live with their hands out. I understand you have medical issues, but honestly, to reiterate what everyone said:

If you can hike the Appalachian Trail, you can go to work every day and earn it just the way the rest of us did.
Aside from the first paragraph, I think you did the best job stating it without seeming too aggressive... But I agree with everybody in here. I'd be hiking all over the world right now if other people paid for it. That would be a dream for me.

My main issue here, however, is this new 'it's kinda for a charity' thing. We've seen a few like this where the proceeds go to an undecided blend of personal and charitable accounts... That's just a poor practice. Tell me how much of my money goes to the charity, or don't invoke their name to solicit the donation.

When you get to the first trail town with five thousand donated dollars in your account do I get to choose what you order?

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 16:44
Ok folks after researching gear this is so far what I am looking at. Since I have narrowed my gear list down I have updated the GoFundMe page and I am clearly stating how much will go where and to who.

Just to be clear I am expecting my cost in gear to come to no more than $1500 and to donate the rest. The Epilepsy Foundation of Florida will get $1,500 and The Appalachian Trail Conservancy $1,500.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 16:47
This is a list of what I am looking at for gear of course if I find it cheaper or get some donated the difference of the money will go to the charities.

Appalachian Trail Gear List

Golite Jam 70L Backpack 31 Oz. $80

Platypus Big Zip LP Reservior - 3 Liter 6 Oz. $35

Gossamergear Shoulder Strap Pocket Set of Two 1.7 Oz. $30

Mountain Laurel Designs Pack Liner/Food Bag 1.2 Oz. ea. 2 for $5

Kelty Cosmic Down 20 Degree 550 Down Sleeping Bag 43 Oz. $50

Sea To Summit Adaptor Coolmax Travel Liner 9 Oz. $45

Hennessy Radiant Double Bubble Pad 10 Oz. $30

Tarp-tent Sublite 18.5 Oz. $179

ZPacks Bear Bagging Kit 3 Oz. $45

Mountain Laurel Designs UL Ground Cloth 2.4 Oz $8

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp 25 to 160 Lumens 3.9 Oz. $30

Black Diamond TRAIL BACK TREKKING POLES 20 Oz. $50

Sawyer MINI Water Filter 1.3 Oz. $20

Sawer MAXI-DEET 100% DEET 2 Oz. $3

Clothes

DriDucks Frogg Toggs Rain Jacket & Pants 10.2 Oz. $14

SmartWool Balaclava 1.8 Oz. $32

Cabela's Insect Defense System™ Zip-Off Pants $80

Cabela's Insect Defense System™ Jacket $65

Cabela's Boys’ Insect Defense System™ Knit Shirt $30

Ultimax™ Cool-Lite Mid Hikers Socks 2 Oz. $11 ea. pair

Polypro Glove Liners - Black, Medium 1.1 Oz. $7

Mountain Masochist II Hiking Shoe 21.6 Oz. $60

Cooking, Toiletries & Accessories

Monatauk Gnat Stove 1.6 Oz. $40

GigaPower Fuel 3.9 Oz. $5

Vargo TITANIUM TI-LITE MUG 750 4 Oz. $28

Lightload Pack Towel 36x60 .6 Oz. $10

Ultralight Travel Toothbrush .65 Oz. $3

GSI Outdoors Cathole Sanitation Trowel 3.1 Oz. $5

Lifeline Trail Light Dayhiker - 57 Piece 4060 First Aid Kit 3.7 Oz. $8

Vargo Titanium Spork .3 Oz. $5

Dr. Bronners Peppermint Castile Liquid Soap 4 Oz. $5

Gossamergear Rite in the Rain Notebook .6 Oz. $6

Total Ounces 146.45 Oz = 9 Lbs. 1 Oz.

Total Price $939

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 16:57
Like I posted earlier I will live on the trail with my Check. And so everyone knows I started working at the age of 14 on Christmas night midnight to 8am and worked till I was 32 when I was disabled so yes I am asking for help but I am not putting a gun to anyone's head and if I can't make my hike in 2015 I guess it will be later in my life it's just hard to save anything on $10,000 a year I like to see any of you live on that and not ask for help. One thing I know I will never give up on my dream. He'll I don't go out to dinner or movies or anything on that budget.

kennajm
05-12-2014, 18:42
All I have to say is good luck. It really scares me that you'd even consider this. If I didn't feel comfortable going to work every day I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable carrying 25 Ibs on my back and climbing up mountains all day. Atleast at work I'd have a decent shot at a hospital if an emergency did happen. I appreciate your dream, I do. I have the same dream. You may need to rent some equipment from REI and go spend 3-5 days doing 10 miles up mountains and see how feasible this is.

I'll be honest, as someone who will be out there next year it scares me that I may run across you in an emergency state that could have been prevented. I'm not trying to deter you, but rather I'm being honest. Someone breaking a leg is one thing, but an epileptic having a seizure and falling off a mountain is another. The AT is hard. Much harder than any job I've ever had. Don't forget that.

mtntopper
05-12-2014, 18:47
I bet the op would trade his checks to be healthy again. Just saying.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 18:48
Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day I have averaged it out and if I start on March 12 all I have to do is 10 miles a day and be completed by October 12

MuddyWaters
05-12-2014, 18:52
Had a friend in middle school with epilepsy. He had a seizure and fell off a dock into a lake.

Fortunately someone was there to pull him out of the water, he was unscathed.

There are a few spots on the AT where a seizure at an innoportune time would be.....not good.

kennajm
05-12-2014, 18:56
I bet the op would trade his checks to be healthy again. Just saying.

I'm sure, and I'm trying to be understanding of that. I just can't wrap my head around the concept of being able to climb mountains all day, but not being able to work. I don't want anybody to go through anything like this. In this case though, something doesn't add up.

mtntopper
05-12-2014, 19:05
I'm sure, and I'm trying to be understanding of that. I just can't wrap my head around the concept of being able to climb mountains all day, but not being able to work. I don't want anybody to go through anything like this. In this case though, something doesn't add up.

I have the same feeling. Not knowing the op.......I have to ask why doesn't the op work? It seems that if the op can hike, they can work.
Perhaps that's what gets others riled up.

OCDave
05-12-2014, 19:20
Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day ...

Rando1925,

My mail carrier hikes less than 15 miles a day and makes considerably more than $11,000 annually. Plenty of individuals with epilepsy who do not consider themselves disabled.

What I am trying to say in a non-judgemental way is that you are challenging what I think when someone describes themselves as disabled. How exactly are you disabled? How is is that this disability would not be an issue when hiking day after day after day? How is it that this disabilty prevents you from holding a job?

Is this an elaborate hoax to raise peoples' ire?

kennajm
05-12-2014, 19:28
Rando Leon Diaz (https://www.facebook.com/randoleon?hc_location=timeline)August 30, 2012 (https://www.facebook.com/randoleon/posts/4125945758690) near Crawfordville, FL (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crawfordville-Florida/105493669485339?ref=stream)

43 more days So I can at least say I made it to 50 after having 4 Heart attacks when I was 45.. Just anxious and been counting down the days.

So, if this is true (straight from your FB page) you have epilepsy and have had 4 heart attacks. If you've had 4 heart attacks you have no business hiking 2200 miles up and down mountains. Still though, this whole thing just seems completely fishy. From what I can tell you were planning to go 2017/2018 until you saw this article:

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/mind-money-money-mind-sponsorships/

After that it seems like the internet lit up with your posts about wanting someone to fund you. I think I have to advise people to stay away from this though, something seems terribly off but if your history is true it would be simply irresponsible on our part to send you on your journey after 4 heart attacks.

canoe
05-12-2014, 19:30
Doctor has told me that if I don't over do it and rest when I need to I shouldn't have a problem, I am not going to hike 20 or more miles a day my plan is no more than 15 miles in a single day I have averaged it out and if I start on March 12 all I have to do is 10 miles a day and be completed by October 12 As soon as you hit that first 1000ft climb followed by a 1000ft decent followed by a 1500 ft climb you have already over done it. For some that is all before breakfast. has your doctor ever been hiking on the AT.

Damn Yankee
05-12-2014, 19:37
My best friend in middle school had epilepsy because he fell out of a car when he was younger. One day we were swimming across a river to an island and he went into a full blown seizure. I had to grab him and swim back to shore. I was able to put something in his teeth to stop him from biting his tongue and then I just comforted him until he came out of it. One of the scariest moments of my life next to almost drowning.

johnnybgood
05-12-2014, 19:40

Having a legally blind daughter who cannot drive a car , or describe a person's physical features more than 15 feet away but can hike mountains all day long....I beg to differ here.

She however has her dream to get a degree in animal sciences and hopefully get hired by a company that doesn't discriminate due to her handicap.

kennajm
05-12-2014, 19:48
Having a legally blind daughter who cannot drive a car , or describe a person's physical features more than 15 feet away but can hike mountains all day long....I beg to differ here.

Tom Kite was legally blind and a professional golfer. Your daughter sounds like a champ, and doesn't seem like she's using her handicap to solicit money from the Internet or to prevent her from chasing her dreams both professionally and personally.

This statement probably came out a little wrong, and we're not really comparing the same things. But, that being said, blind people work jobs every single day. I've worked with blind people. And if she were here asking for money to hike yet saying she was unable to work, she'd get the same argument.

Last Call
05-12-2014, 19:51
Looks like a decent gear list, but those prices ??? Kelty Cosmic Down for $50, titanium spoon $5....are these used items? If they are new then that's some awesome deals!

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:00
For anyone wondering yes I have Epilepsy yes I have had 4 heart attacks 1 major one on 12/1/2007 and 3 minor ones in 2008 and can give proof of all of them thru hospital records. And crashed my car due to seizure when I was 31. But just because this is the hand I got dealt in life doesn't mean I have to stop dreaming of doing something. And if you research it most people with epilepsy have less seizures as they get older.

When I was 37 I gave up disability to go work again and my seizures started up again in a major way and yes I can prove this also with the social security office records. Doctors have told me I cannot work simple as that and yes I pray everyday I would be able to work. I would be able to live a normal life go out to movies dinner or just anywhere but I can't do that cause I have no money to waste after rent, utilities and household expenses at $800 a month.

SO YES I WOULD RATHER BE WORKING AND PAYING FOR ALL MY **** AND NOT HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. So if anyone wants records of anything will gladly ship you copies, I AM NOT A THIEF, SCAMMER OR ANYTHING ELSE AND THERE IS NOTHING FISHY HERE JUST MY SORRY ASS TRUTH HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. AND JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE EPILEPSY, HEART ATTACKS OR ANYTHING ELSE DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS AS LONG AS YOUR DOCTOR SAYS ITS OK.

kennajm
05-12-2014, 20:09
SO YES I WOULD RATHER BE WORKING AND PAYING FOR ALL MY **** AND NOT HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. So if anyone wants records of anything will gladly ship you copies, I AM NOT A THIEF, SCAMMER OR ANYTHING ELSE AND THERE IS NOTHING FISHY HERE JUST MY SORRY ASS TRUTH HAVING TO ASK FOR HELP. AND JUST CAUSE YOU HAVE EPILEPSY, HEART ATTACKS OR ANYTHING ELSE DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP ON YOUR DREAMS AS LONG AS YOUR DOCTOR SAYS ITS OK.

As someone who's Father passed away at 53 from his second heart attack, I wish you nothing but the best. His doctor said he was fine 6 weeks before he went. I just hope that nothing bad happens to you on the trail and that nobody living their own dream has to see it if it does happen.

If you would like to prove that you aren't scamming us (I'm sorry, the Internet has made us all skeptical), feel free to publish those documents to .pdf and attach on this thread. It may give someone the peace of mind to actually help you.

As someone that's been very close to someone with heart problems, I can't in good conscience help you on such a strenuous endeavor. I'm sorry for that. Good luck.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:09
Hopefully will see you on the trail Kennajm

canoe
05-12-2014, 20:12
you just cant take it easy climbing mountians. or maybe I am the only one who cant. Define taking it easy.

Starchild
05-12-2014, 20:13
Best of luck, the thru hike can be life changing for some, including me and I suspect you also. I do wish the same for you and hope it opens up the door to a better life.

I have personally taken 'detractors' who are not kind in what they say to me to be a beacon that usually shines the way I am to travel (exact opposite of what they state). Is it possible to get funding for your thru, yes. The AT thru is not a vacation but a life journey of personal growth that some are meant to take, some will discourage it in various ways, but if you are meant to do it you will.

As for your request for funding, I do feel you are going about it in the wrong way (at least in posting it here) but I do wish you well and hope you find the resources to do this if you are to may this journey.

canoe
05-12-2014, 20:15
I have often wondered how gramma funded her three thrus

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2014, 20:16
Rando clearly you have no idea how to blog and this is new to you... over the last couple of years several other hikers some disabled and others in good health have made similar threads and they have all had a thread go as badly as this one. I get it - I understand. Can I suggest you start over and do more reading of threads at first before "hitting us over the head" with your idea. Perhaps if you could tell us about your current hiking experiences fill out your personal space spend a little time here.

Stop rushing and recover - and welcome to WB.

OCDave
05-12-2014, 20:19
Rando1925,

I am afraid I still cannot comprehend how your disability will magically NOT be an issue on this endeavor. You seem to be inviting the "He died pursuing his dream" thread.

Good Luck

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:21
And yes I saw that article and I understand why people are skeptical but I saw it as a way to get some help not as a scam. That's why I put my name address email phone here and at the GoFundMe page and will send copies of everything of my case to those who ask me. I can prove everything I am saying I hate being called a thief lier scammer and everything else. I thought posting in a community of people going after their dream of hiking the AT would be nice. I was raised old school and the only reason I am asking for help is my mom and dad have passed, no way in hell I would be doing this the way they raised me if they were here, which I would trade for my own life if that would be possible. So I am so sorry for asking for help.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:24
By the way yes my doctor has done 2 of the triple crown the AT and the PCT

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:30
To johnnybgood and everyone else read Bill Irwin's story he hiked it blind. http://www.billirwin.com

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:33
The prices are on new items been doing research for 2 months on the gear.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2014, 20:38
You would be surprised on the deals for old gear - right here.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:43
With what the doctor told me taking it easy is stop rest if I feel any different from the norm where I have been ok, for example if I have to stop every 5 minutes do it. He said the goal is finishing the hike as long as it takes and not dying in the process. So I am not doing this to kill myself. My plan is take all the time it takes I have no obligations to anyone just to keep myself as healthy as can be and to finish the hike even if I get to Mount Katahdin late and I have to finish it the next year.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:46
That is why the gear I have been looking at come to a total base weight of 9lbs when you add food and water it should be no more than 25lbs

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:49
I regret asking for help so will be taking this thread down as soon as I figure how to, but will keep following and reading post to learn more and get better ideas of a complete thru hike.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:50
My dream will not die until I do.

canoe
05-12-2014, 20:51
By the way yes my doctor has done 2 of the triple crown the AT and the PCT must have been done right out of HS.

Rando1925
05-12-2014, 20:53
My doctor hiked the AT after college and the PCT after his residency

canoe
05-12-2014, 21:00
Hmm taking a year off between college and medical school and then a year off after residency..hmm with all those school loans I wonder how he funded his trip. I did nt know you could put off your first appointment for a year.

magneto
05-13-2014, 08:09
Rando1925:

Welcome aboard! White Blaze is a wonderful mixed blessing of negativity, great information, pre-judgement and encouragement too, as you have seen.

I wish you luck in your quest to hike and you have my compassion for your life circumstances.

America is a wealthy and generous country with many people who may be willing and able to help you. You are not wrong to ask.

Lots of good info here and lots of good people too.

So what good is living if you die without accomplishing something great? You might get sick or even die on the trail, but think of the reward that comes with properly and prudently taking such a risk!

Again, good luck in your efforts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtntopper
05-13-2014, 18:03
Hmm taking a year off between college and medical school and then a year off after residency..hmm with all those school loans I wonder how he funded his trip. I did nt know you could put off your first appointment for a year.

How do you know he had student loans? I know of 6 who did not?

canoe
05-13-2014, 21:51
Here is why. 87 per cent of medical students have a great debt coming out of school. Its called oddsOctober 2013
Medical Student Education:
Debt, Costs, and Loan Repayment Fact Card

Indebted Graduates, Class of 2013*

Public

Private

All

Mean

$162,736 (↑4%)

$181,058 (↓1%)

$169,901 (↑2%)

Median

$168,000 (↑5%)

$190,000 (↑0%)

$175,000 (↑3%)

MuddyWaters
05-24-2014, 10:19
Here is why. 87 per cent of medical students have a great debt coming out of school. Its called oddsOctober 2013
Medical Student Education:
Debt, Costs, and Loan Repayment Fact Card

Indebted Graduates, Class of 2013*

Public

Private

All

Mean

$162,736 (↑4%)

$181,058 (↓1%)

$169,901 (↑2%)

Median

$168,000 (↑5%)

$190,000 (↑0%)

$175,000 (↑3%)

And as an advisor told my daughter: "Dont make it hard on yourself, take what you need to comfortably get thru. You NEVER hear a Dr. say "these medical school loans are killing me""

ChinMusic
05-24-2014, 10:50
Oh yes you do. Increased student loans are a big problem for recent grads. It forces many into the role of employee and is changing the face of medicine. Establishing an ownership role is much harder.

MuddyWaters
05-24-2014, 15:18
Its much less of a problem for a Dr, than a fraction of that is for say...a school teacher.

ChinMusic
05-24-2014, 15:58
Its much less of a problem for a Dr, than a fraction of that is for say...a school teacher.

Very true. Two kids. One is each.

If I hadn't paid for the teacher's college I don't know how she would have ever dug her way out. It is typical for my son's classmates to have a 1/4 mil of debt, forcing them to work corporate upon graduation.

Malto
05-24-2014, 17:05
And yes I saw that article and I understand why people are skeptical but I saw it as a way to get some help not as a scam. That's why I put my name address email phone here and at the GoFundMe page and will send copies of everything of my case to those who ask me. I can prove everything I am saying I hate being called a thief lier scammer and everything else. I thought posting in a community of people going after their dream of hiking the AT would be nice. I was raised old school and the only reason I am asking for help is my mom and dad have passed, no way in hell I would be doing this the way they raised me if they were here, which I would trade for my own life if that would be possible. So I am so sorry for asking for help.

I don't think the majority of folks on here think this is a scam. You have been crystal clear that the money is to be used for YOUR hike and leftovers are split. You are getting flak because you are asking for handouts to send you on vacation. If you were raising money to get specialized education or something like a service dog to allow you to work and be self sufficient then you would likely get a different reaction. But this is a VACATION, nothing more, nothing less. I also don't view your disability as a factor here other than you claim (or we assume) that it limits your earning capability thus making your vacation harder to achieve. Many would love to do a multi week trip to an exotic foreign land but can't afford it. They spend a long weekend at Dollywood instead of asking for handouts for their vacation.

canoe
05-24-2014, 19:45
Oh yes you do. Increased student loans are a big problem for recent grads. It forces many into the role of employee and is changing the face of medicine. Establishing an ownership role is much harder.
thank you chin

Mushroom_Mouse
05-24-2014, 20:17
I don't think the majority of folks on here think this is a scam. You have been crystal clear that the money is to be used for YOUR hike and leftovers are split. You are getting flak because you are asking for handouts to send you on vacation. If you were raising money to get specialized education or something like a service dog to allow you to work and be self sufficient then you would likely get a different reaction. But this is a VACATION, nothing more, nothing less. I also don't view your disability as a factor here other than you claim (or we assume) that it limits your earning capability thus making your vacation harder to achieve. Many would love to do a multi week trip to an exotic foreign land but can't afford it. They spend a long weekend at Dollywood instead of asking for handouts for their vacation.

Well said, Malto

bamboo bob
05-24-2014, 21:15
Well said, Malto We need "like" buttons

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 21:08
Just so everyone knows selling my tv here is the link: http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/ele/4489535480.html and have updated my gofund page: http://www.gofundme.com/randodiaz I am serious about this hike and raising money for the Epilepsy Foundation

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 21:17
Well just sold my tv only half a day posted.

canoe
05-26-2014, 22:09
Good Job. You sure wont need to carry it with you. I forgot if you told us but are you putting your personel belongings in storage or keeping you household as is while you will be hiking for six plus months. You could sell everything you got and buy differant when you get back. It would sure save you some money. plus you would not have to worry about a thing while on the trail. Shoot you might even like a place along the so good you might want to stay there for a while

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:30
Selling all I can closer to March, my plan is after the hike look for a place along the trail in any state and moving there. I have been looking at Damascus, Harpers Ferry and other places. My overall plan is once I finish and find a place between hikes be a trail angel with some trail magic every chance I get.

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:31
Seems like a nice way to give back.

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:34
Got my first pieces of gear used but look brand new, Tarp-tent Sublite,

sea to summit ultra-sil nano tarp-poncho

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:35
With the tv money will be able to get a backpack and sleeping bag and some other things.

canoe
05-26-2014, 22:38
Make sure you know how to use your equipment before you go. Nothing worse than a collapsed tent in a rain storm gettin your down wet.

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:43
Once I get my sleeping bag planning on setting up in my back yard and practice even though it's pretty basic

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:44
Oh by the way HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO EVERYONE HERE

Rando1925
05-26-2014, 22:50
A couple had a home for rent in Damascus for $600 I contacted them but they did not want to rent it to me due to my income, but like told them as long as I can pay my rent and light I can do without luxuries.

squeezebox
05-27-2014, 05:59
How often and how severe are your seizures ? Seems like there are a fair amount of medical trained folks on the trail. What are your post seizure needs ?
What does your neurologist think about the trip ? I don't think this group has the expertise to give you expert advise.

Rando1925
05-27-2014, 09:55
The support was to raise money for The Epilepsy Foundation

AmputeeHiker
08-06-2014, 21:40
Actually, the problem sometimes is passing the interview to get the job. The reason I say this is I have worked, I have been on disability too, and proving to someone in a 15 min conversation that your "disabilities" don't hinder your ability to do said task can be quite difficult.
That being said, I agree that you shouldn't ask someone to pay for your "vacation"
However, it is not also required that he or anyone else not live their dreams as much as possible.