PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in short sleeves vs. tank top

Aletheia.VA
05-11-2014, 11:19
Hey y'all!

I have hiked in both a short-sleeve shirt as well as a tank top, but never for 4-6 months. In general, I prefer tank tops, but I am not sure if this is a feasible/comfortable option for hiking a long distance. I understand there may be some chafing with a tank top also.

I start my SOBO thru-hike next month, and am still trying to nail this tiny dilemma.
Armpit hair aside, what's y'all's first-hand opinion?

Spirit Walker
05-11-2014, 13:29
I have a couple of sleeveless shirts that I use that have wide shoulders, so the pack doesn't rub my skin. They have been used on long hikes. I wouldn't wear a narrow tank top, because I prefer to have something between the pack strap and my skin.

quasarr
05-11-2014, 13:52
I also prefer short sleeves to help prevent chafing, but of course this is personal so you have to see for yourself! Since you are going SOBO, another idea to consider is that you will have more treeless sections and you will want sun protection. (unless it rains the whole time .......)

hkanz
05-11-2014, 13:58
I sometimes do day hikes in tank tops, but sleeves of some kind protect your skin from your pack, the sun and insects. The more skin you have exposed, the more of a nuisane it is to care for it, and the more product you may end up using (bug spray, sunscreen). I wouldn't do a thru-hike in a tank top unless you're really strongly inclined to them for some reason. Just my 0.02.

Slo-go'en
05-11-2014, 14:56
Since you'll be starting in Maine at about the peak of the dreaded BLACK FLY season, I'd have as little exposed skin as possible. That means long pants and long sleeve shirt. (and don't forget your head net).

Aletheia.VA
05-11-2014, 15:35
Thanks for y'all's responses! Some very valid points have arisen; just what I needed to know. :)

cheetahgeek
05-16-2014, 03:19
I used short sleeves or sleeveless shorts. No tanks.

cheetahgeek
05-16-2014, 03:19
Apologies, sleeveless shirts, not shorts.

Onica Hanby
05-23-2014, 17:04
I only hike in sleeves. Either short or long. I have a performance moisture wicking longsleeve but I found it was better for the colder months. I want a long sleeve that is light and airy for the summer to help keep off the sun and bugs.