PDA

View Full Version : Watch Your Step Folks

Chair-man
05-11-2014, 17:05
Was just reading some trailjournals and came across this> HiC took a really bad spill (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=16006). I was thinking this could happen to any of us. Wow.
I tend to fall when I try to pick up the pace so I quit trying to pick up the pace.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 17:51
I fell so many times on my '13 thru it is impossible for me to make a close estimate. I was so lucky. Any one of those falls could have ended my quest. Lots of bruises and cuts but nothing more.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 17:57
Looks like HiC will be fine very soon but will have a lifelong reminder of those rocks. Sounds like he might have lost enough blood to affect his hiking for a bit. Had to have lost some oxygen-carrying capacity from what I read.

Kerosene
05-11-2014, 18:00
I think that anyone who has hiked a lot of miles has had close calls, even if they are athletically gifted. I can recall a half dozen times where I slipped in some way and nearly brained myself or could have/should have ruined a knee or ankle. I almost fell down a steep slope also when a branch jumped out and bit my leg.

Rather than slowing down, I think it is probably at least as important to stay hydrated and fueled, especially toward the end of a long, grueling day.

ChinMusic
05-11-2014, 18:03
Kerosene makes a great point. Falls are much more common when your energy level falls.

Damn Yankee
05-11-2014, 19:06
I fell on slick rocks once and knocked myself out. I woke up and had no idea where I was. Turns out I had a concussion and could not stand without holding on to something for three days.

johnnybgood
05-11-2014, 19:39
I also second what Kerosene said about staying well hydrated. I have become dehydrated just trying to make miles , usually with others ,which leads to falls or near falls. Stopping every few hours to eat a snack and fuel up helps ward off dehydration and fatique.

Slo-go'en
05-11-2014, 20:07
Kerosene makes a great point. Falls are much more common when your energy level falls.

And that is often when going down hill. A major factor when doing long, peak bagging day hikes.

Considering some of the tumbles I've taken over the years, it a miracle I haven't broken or seriously injured myself. You definitely need to learn how to instinctively roll with the punches.

Teacher & Snacktime
05-11-2014, 20:30
Snacktime took two faceplants today in a 10 yard stretch on the way to Overmountain Shelter. Other than bruised knees and ego, he's fine, but I'm pretty sure it was fatigue from the heat that caused them both. REMEMBER TO HYDRATE!!! Even the young and resilient are susceptible to the effects of dehydration.

Patrickjd9
05-11-2014, 20:45
My fall rate seems to be about once in a section hiking week of 70 miles or so. Last one met that average, fell once (jumped right back up) and saved myself from falling with my hiking pole once (slightly bending the pole).

Can't use two poles because of arthritis in my hands.

Malto
05-11-2014, 21:40
I think that anyone who has hiked a lot of miles has had close calls, even if they are athletically gifted. I can recall a half dozen times where I slipped in some way and nearly brained myself or could have/should have ruined a knee or ankle. I almost fell down a steep slope also when a branch jumped out and bit my leg.

Rather than slowing down, I think it is probably at least as important to stay hydrated and fueled, especially toward the end of a long, grueling day.

It is amazing how much more often I will attempt to roll an ankle when pushing a long day. Not sure if it is physical or mental.

jeremiah j
05-11-2014, 21:54
Broke a finger 2 wks ago on short hike to Springer. Seems like my balance is off when I've just started.

Tipi Walter
05-12-2014, 08:47

Angry looking wound. For those interested, Stumpknocker also had a bad fall on the AT whereby he broke an arm. See---

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=125985

Was he wearing Kahtoola microspikes? It's a no brainer for winter backpacking.

When I was younger I fell often on my backpacking trips---often and hard. I too broke a finger backpacking up the rocks of a mountain creek, back in 1982.

But the older I get the less falls I have. Why? Because I am much more careful with my footing and I have slowed down. Backpacking the trails I do (Citico/Slickrock wilderness/Southern Cherokee NF), it's gets very dicey when wearing a pack in the 90lb range because the trails are near vertical with roots and rocks. I must go slow to avoid the dreaded tumble.

One time I was dropping 3,000 feet off Hangover Mt when my doubled knotted boot lace snagged a root and I tumbled forward with a refrigerator on my back and landed on my elbow, calf, knee and butt. The hiking pole helped cushion the blow, as did the mud on the trail. It may be in fact safer to use just one hiking pole on descents as then you always have one hand free to help cushion a fall.

Despite exhaustion, most falls can be avoided by two things---Slowing down, and #2: Concentrating on your foot work. My mantra is---Going up a mountain with weight takes Endurance. Going down a mt with weight takes Concentration. Two different worlds.

garlic08
05-12-2014, 09:27
There's a tongue-in-cheek adage in the skiing world: "One hundred percent of all ski fatalities occur on the last run of the day." I take it as a Yogi Berra-type saying, where there's a nugget of wisdom. Whenever I find myself thinking, "One more run," or "One more mile," it's a good time to stop, rest, eat something. I've also heard a climbing friend say, "All accidents happen after lunch," meaning on the descent.

Personally, my worst trail accidents (and scars) have happened 1/4 mile from the car, when I start thinking about the beer, the game that afternoon, etc. On the AT, I made it point to stop for a long break before every descent into town--finish up my food and water, re-tie my shoes, double check the route and my orientation, read the town guide and make plans, etc. That helps minimize all sorts of mistakes.

It sounds like HiC performed exactly the right first aid--kept a cool head, controlled bleeding, assessed the situation repeatedly and correctly, and got himself evacuated. Well done.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-14-2014, 22:56
This is perfect timing for me. Just fell and broke my wrist hiking along the AT to do an overnighter at the West Mountain shelter. Put my weight on a rock too soon without testing it and down I went. Knew as soon as I landed that I had broken it. Lots of things to consider as a result. First I was so anxious to get going that I failed to eat before I set out and then found myself struggling to catch up to the hunger after pushing up some inclines. Big mistake. Put off hydrating too much because I can't really reach my water from the pockets that hold my water bottles without taking off my pack - ie: I didn't want to stop. Once the AT turned to the Timp-Torne I didn't pay close enough to where the blazes really were trying to follow the path of least resistance. Ended up off trail in a bad way, down a steep hill that I then had to try to make my way back up with 35 lbs on my back while trying to protect my arm. Fortunately for me some other hikers make the same wrong turn and came to my aid by taking over my pack and giving me the encouragement I needed to hike the rest of the way out then drove myself to hospital. Also learned to always carry insurance info even for short trips and that black flies are vicious. The bites were worse than the break. Lots of lessons to carry forward fort thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atraildreamer
05-17-2014, 17:30
Snacktime took two faceplants today in a 10 yard stretch on the way to Overmountain Shelter. Other than bruised knees and ego, he's fine, but I'm pretty sure it was fatigue from the heat that caused them both. REMEMBER TO HYDRATE!!! Even the young and resilient are susceptible to the effects of dehydration.

It has been said that the trail makes an impression on a hiker :-? ...

it seems that Snacktime likes to make an impression on the trail! :eek: :D

Teacher & Snacktime
05-17-2014, 18:16
It has been said that the trail makes an impression on a hiker :-? ...

it seems that Snacktime likes to make an impression on the trail! :eek: :D

He'll love this!

05-18-2014, 08:42
When I first got trekking poles I kept my hands in the loops. Sort of made sense to me, they were there and I never went to trekking poles 101. So going down a steep hill, I slip, loose footing and propel forward only I cannot put my hands down to brace as they are stuck in the loops. So I fly through the air thinking this is it. Knees full of small stones and hands the same. I now remove my hands from the loops going down hill.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-18-2014, 12:58
I kind of figure I was not using my poles wisely when I took my tumble. I was going uphill. Had one in front to pull, one in back to push off of. Only problem is when the rock underfoot shifted down it put me off-balance going backwards. With half my weight leaning back to push off the weight of my pack did the rest. Down I went :( If I had both poles out front I more likely would have gone forward (?) and may or may not have had the same outcome.

magneto
05-18-2014, 13:43
Poles are a mixed blessing. Descending into camp after a long day, one pole got caught in between two rocks as I slipped. Pole stopped, but pinky and index finger didn't, both were bent back to my wrist as I hit the ground. Hurt a lot and became swollen; immediate pain. Took lots of Tylenol and finished the hike the next day, but tying knots to set up a hammock was hard. Turned out to be a bad sprain, nothing broken.

In the end I think poles help more than hurt, especially on a steep descent, but you have to be careful.