PDA

View Full Version : NOC resupply 1st week in June

soumodeler
05-11-2014, 19:38
Planning on doing Amicalola to Fontana starting May 27. Looking to resupply for last 1.5 days at the NOC. What kind of supplies will they have available? Or should I plan to mail myself a package?

Thanks!

Slo-go'en
05-11-2014, 20:09
Mostly snacks and some Mountain House type meals at the outfitter store. Definitely enough to get you by for a couple of days.

Whack-a-mole
05-11-2014, 22:51
Keep in mind that there is not much to eat at Fontana. Nice little gift shop, restrooms, and a shower with so much pressure that it will peel your skin back, but no food.....

MuddyWaters
05-11-2014, 23:20
Its a super easy place to mail a package to. You do have to pick it up between 9am and 5pm though. Each time Ive been there, I tent somewhere just short of NOC, come in and eat a well deserved **great** breakfast at the restaurant when they open at 8am, then pick up my package and skeedaddle.

I cant convey how much I look forward to hot breakfast there by the river on a cool morning.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2014, 00:57
Keep in mind that there is not much to eat at Fontana. Nice little gift shop, restrooms, and a shower with so much pressure that it will peel your skin back, but no food.....

Thankfully, Fontana Village is only a $3 shuttle ride away where there are full services.

soumodeler
05-12-2014, 07:36
Rough plan right now is to hike from Wayah Bald Shelter to the NOC and spend the night. Not sure yet if at NOC or nearby- probably make that decision when I get there. If I can get one Mountain House and a bunch of snacks I will be fine. A hot meal and a shower are going to be on the top of my list as well.

The NOC website had a lot of information on it but they have changed it recently and took away everything useful on it.

Gambit McCrae
05-12-2014, 09:43
Im guessing you are in good hiker shape to do 17-20 mile days. These sections are up and down alot, and have several 2k climbs/ drops. back to back ones coming in, and going out of NOC. then again at stecoah. and at the end near fontana. As well as wesser tower and Burningtown gap going north.

soumodeler
05-12-2014, 10:22
Wayah to NOC will be my hardest day, and I will be stopping at NOC, so avoiding the climb out until the next day. I know it will be tough, but I have done 17-18 mile days on the GA section without too much trouble. Rough plan:

- Day 1: Amicalola to Springer Mountain Shelter. 9.2 miles.

- Day 2: Hike Springer Mountain Shelter to Gooch Mountain Shelter. 15.6 miles.

- Day 3: Hike Gooch Mountain Shelter to Neel Gap. 15.9 miles (alt: hike to Bull Gap tent sites +1.2).

Resupply at Mountain Crossings with: 2 brkfst, 3 lunch, 2 dinner, 12 snack

- Day 4: Neel Gap (or Bull Gap) to Low Gap Shelter. 11.5 miles

- Day 5: Low Gap Shelter to Tray Mountain Shelter. 15.4 miles.

- Day 6: Tray Mountain Shelter to Plumorchard Gap Shelter. 15.5 miles.

Resupply at Top of Georgia Hostel with: 4 brkfst, 4 lunch, 5 dinner, 16 snack

- Day 7: Plumorchard Gap Shelter to Standing Indian Mountain tent sites. 14.2 miles.

- Day 8: Standing Indian Mountain to Rock Gap Shelter. 18.2 miles.

- Day 9: Rock Gap Shelter to Wayah Bald Shelter. 14.8 miles.

- Day 10: Wayah Bald Shelter to NOC. Spend night at NOC. 16.5 miles.

Resupply at NOC with: 1 brkfst, 2 lunch, 1 dinner, 10 snack

- Day 11: NOC to Brown Fork Gap Shelter. 15.8 miles.

- Day 12: Brown Fork Gap Shelter to Fontana Dam. 13 miles.

Slo-go'en
05-12-2014, 15:19
Actually, you have several hard days. Day 7 and Day 9 stand out. The climb out of GA into NC is a killer, I call it the "stairway to heaven". It's one of your first "will this climb never end?" climbs. NC is a bit harder then GA. The other days aren't quite as bad, but all the up and down does wear at you and the heat will be a factor this time of year.

Wayah to NOC will be my hardest day,

soumodeler
05-12-2014, 15:35
Actually, you have several hard days. Day 7 and Day 9 stand out. The climb out of GA into NC is a killer, I call it the "stairway to heaven". It's one of your first "will this climb never end?" climbs. NC is a bit harder then GA. The other days aren't quite as bad, but all the up and down does wear at you and the heat will be a factor this time of year.

Agreed, I hate that section between Bly Gap and Muskrat Creek Shelter. It felt like climbing straight up a cliff, especially late in the day.

I fully expect it to be difficult with the schedule I am going to try to keep. I have a good idea on what everything up to Standing Indian Mountain will be like. That is as far north as I have gotten during weekend/3 day hikes. After that I am hoping I will have my trail legs and be able to handle NC without any issues.

Pack weight under 25lbs including food and water, so fairly lightweight.

Ricky&Jack
05-12-2014, 15:37
if you look up "neels gap" on youtube, you can actually see videos hikers made of the inside of the store, if you need a better idea.

daddytwosticks
05-12-2014, 16:08
I've done Wayah Bald shelter straight thru to the NOC twice. I'm in average condition with some flab around my waist. At the end of the hike on both occasions I was totally tapped out. Finished both hikes early to get the Wesser Burger! It was probably foolish on my part. Those last few miles are rough and all down hill. Very easy to injure yourself when you are that tapped out. Be careful and have a great hike. :)

Gambit McCrae
05-12-2014, 16:27
I second that brother! Wesser burger is a magnet all the way from wayah tower

I've done Wayah Bald shelter straight thru to the NOC twice. I'm in average condition with some flab around my waist. At the end of the hike on both occasions I was totally tapped out. Finished both hikes early to get the Wesser Burger! It was probably foolish on my part. Those last few miles are rough and all down hill. Very easy to injure yourself when you are that tapped out. Be careful and have a great hike. :)

MuddyWaters
05-12-2014, 18:39
If your in shape, I wouldnt stop at Springer shelter that early unless you got a late start. Id continue a couple more downhill easy miles to Stover Creek.
Rock Gap shelter is very close to road, a couple hundred yards. Its not a place you sleep well. When I was there cars were stopping at the parking area during the night, you could see the headlights and hear them.

Wayah to NOC isnt bad at all , get an early start. The last 5 miles seem like 10 for some reason, goes on forever. I did this twice, each time was the same. very long walk slightly downhill after the Jump Off, and seemed to take forever.

Id tent near the shelter 1 mile before NOC, then its a 20 min walk in the morning to a great restaurant breakfast. Bacon, eggs, coffee, grits, biscuits till your stuffed. Good way to start the climb out of NOC. No sense paying to stay at NOC IMO. Most people rush to NOC though for dinner.

NC is easier than the second half of GA. The GA trail is rocky and uneven, Much of the NC trail is like a paved road by comparison. Climbs are longer, but easier due to it.
Little flat ground at Brown Fork Gap shelter, but the gaps not far after have water and flat tent space. Day 11 is the hard day. Jacobs ladder will taxing late in the day. But since trail goes uphill with no switchbacks, its over soon enough.

soumodeler
05-12-2014, 19:03
First day will be short due to travel time to trail. Not planning on starting until one or so.

I had not noticed the road crossing that close to Rock Gap Shelter. May cut that day short (planned 18 miles) and camp between Long Branch and Rock Gap Shelters. However, it will be mid week so less traffic if I do stay there.

saltysack
05-12-2014, 19:30
First day will be short due to travel time to trail. Not planning on starting until one or so.

I had not noticed the road crossing that close to Rock Gap Shelter. May cut that day short (planned 18 miles) and camp between Long Branch and Rock Gap Shelters. However, it will be mid week so less traffic if I do stay there.

Stay atop Albert mtn a few miles back...only 1 or 2 tent spots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue indian
05-17-2014, 20:08
Has anyone had trouble getting re-supply at NOC?

Since its thru hiker season I am a bit apprehensive that they will have the stuff I am looking for. Basically I want something to eat for dinner (mountain houses are fine) and a couple of tuna pouches and cliff bars...

Ive been there before but at the time I wasnt paying much attention to what kind of food they had in the outfitter..

daddytwosticks
05-18-2014, 10:05
Last time I was there (several weeks ago), they had some Mountain House meals and cliff bars. The selection of MH meals were slim. I didn't notice any tuna packs, pop tarts, etc. Every time I go in there, they are re-organizing and moving stuff around. In the past, they had way more items and selections for hikers. Good luck. :)

V Eight
05-19-2014, 09:13
At mile 102 +/- about 1.5 miles from Rock Gap shelter, there is a nice well establish camping spot. It is in a nice little "saddle gap"
I have stopped there several times. Once when the rain and wind where what seemed like a hurricane force, but in the saddle you are pretty much protected from the wind. There is no water there, so you will have to bring it with you. On a clear day there is a great eastern view.

RED-DOG
05-19-2014, 11:22
Day 11 is no JOKE either.

Seatbelt
05-20-2014, 09:30
Has anyone had trouble getting re-supply at NOC?

Since its thru hiker season I am a bit apprehensive that they will have the stuff I am looking for. Basically I want something to eat for dinner (mountain houses are fine) and a couple of tuna pouches and cliff bars...

Ive been there before but at the time I wasnt paying much attention to what kind of food they had in the outfitter..

If you get there in time before they close, the little store has general food supplies. It is the first bldg you come to walk past when you hit NOC. Not sure when they close.