PDA

View Full Version : Already at Kennedy Meadows May 10th

frisbeefreek
05-11-2014, 21:10
Couple of blogs have early April starts arriving at Kennedy Meadows already (I started May 10th, so in my mind, this is crazy early). These were not fast hikers, just early and steady.

Anyone have a snow report for the Sierras? Looks like Tuolumne Meadows (Tioga Road) opened May 2nd. Bunch of blogs have noted pretty nasty weather at elevation at various points (winds, cold, and snow, both expected this early in the season).

I'm really curious how gnarly entering the Sierra's this early will be? I know there isn't much snow, but there hasn't been much melt, which implies some ice on the steep slopes, plus nights are much colder.

Malto
05-11-2014, 21:38
Prediction: "the PNW has terrible snow". Why do I predict this. These same people that are cruising through the Sierra early will hit the snow further north and think it is such a heavy year. In reality they will just be early with very little experience in snow so it will seem really bad. This happened in 2012.

frisbeefreek
05-12-2014, 07:11
I haven't read up on the PNW snow levels...Are they at typical levels (i.e.: 100% snowpack?).

Malto-->You indicated you might have an mid-April trip report from the Crabtree Meadow area...Did you get a chance to hike there? I am personally interested in how much snow exists and what the pack looks like -- is it stable on the slopes? I'm thinking about an earliest safe traverse of the High Sierra Route next spring (I've done some high mountaineering, so really, my only concern would be avalanche dangers). I have 2 friends that are interested, so we'd load up with skis, ropes, crampons, etc, and head out as soon as the snow has settled down.

postholer.com
05-12-2014, 20:03
May 10th. May freakin' 10th??? Really?

Hey, if you were planning on a snowy adventure, I totally get it. My guess is you weren't.

You'll want traction devices and ice axes and the knowledge to use them. The morning shaded traverses will be treacherous.

On May 12th, the Crabtree Mdw snow sensor shows a foot or more of snow, at a relatively low 10400 foot elevation. The trail all the way to Lake Tahoe is still mostly covered in snow, much of it covered in 3 to 5 feet of snow (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=1&lat=37.487869&lon=-119.257663&zoom=8&dist=0&vw=0&depth=20140512), as the NOAA snow depth overlay shows.

Check the weather! (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?e=0&textField1=36.79&textField2=-118.42) For that elevation, the night time lows are in the 20-23 degree range, warming to mid-30's by mid week, then dropping again by next week end. And oh, a trough is moving in next Monday...read snow.

The good news is, the San Joaquin Valley is expecting triple digit temps a few days this week; not that it will help.

VVR opens May 21st.

I know, I know, it's a drought year.

I mean really, a little planning goes a long way.

Um, have fun.

-postholer
(http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php?trail_id=1&lat=37.487869&lon=-119.257663&zoom=8&dist=0&vw=0&depth=20140512)

Mags
05-12-2014, 20:30
Low snow year does not mean no snow year. :)

Malto
05-12-2014, 21:35
I haven't read up on the PNW snow levels...Are they at typical levels (i.e.: 100% snowpack?).

Malto-->You indicated you might have an mid-April trip report from the Crabtree Meadow area...Did you get a chance to hike there? I am personally interested in how much snow exists and what the pack looks like -- is it stable on the slopes? I'm thinking about an earliest safe traverse of the High Sierra Route next spring (I've done some high mountaineering, so really, my only concern would be avalanche dangers). I have 2 friends that are interested, so we'd load up with skis, ropes, crampons, etc, and head out as soon as the snow has settled down.

I did the climbers route up Whitney to the top of the notch. There was still several feet of snow just beyond Whitney Portal. We heard that they had received a couple feet of snow just a few days before we went. Just to reinforce Mags comment, low snow doesn't mean no snow especially in May or in my case April.

as far as avalanche danger, I would primarily worry about fresh snow falling on the consolidated snow pack, which could occur at any point.

frisbeefreek
05-13-2014, 16:32
HYOH and all that, but I personally disliked the ~100 miles of snow I had in 2009 (I left KM June 7th) (I know Malto is snickering because he have a bazillion miles of snow his year). There is no way you could convince me to leave KM before June 15th if I did it again (even in a low snow year). Let that stuff melt, have some dry feet, no postholing, and enjoy the views instead of struggling to make miles.

Sasquatch!
05-13-2014, 22:08
Im laughing at all the PCT hikers looking to freeze their junk off. Low snow doesnt mean you wont be cold and miserable entering the Sierras this early. Personally, if mile 700-750 is too cold for my tastes Ill exit at cottonwood pass and wait for the temps to warm up while I relax in Mammoth Lakes.

Im in Mojave now and Im getting chilly sitting in the shade. Cant imagine being at 10,000 feet plus. Brrrr.