PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cat stoves

CynJ
09-25-2005, 16:26
Ok - I made my first Cat stove :D and it rocks!

2 tablespoons (ie 1oz) of alcohol will bring 2 cups of cold tap water to a boil in just under 4 minutes.

Here's my question - the fiberglass has really shrunk and I am wondering how often you will have to change this out? Will I get better fuel efficiency if I have a bit more fiberglass in there?

Dances with Mice
09-25-2005, 16:39
Here's my question - the fiberglass has really shrunk and I am wondering how often you will have to change this out? Will I get better fuel efficiency if I have a bit more fiberglass in there?The fiberglass shrank because you've burned off the binder, the glue holding the fibers together. Never change it out, the remainder won't shrink any further. In my experience, the glass doesn't affect fuel efficiency but it makes the stove easier to light in cold weather. Be aware that the stove will shed small particles of glass fibers so bag it before storing it in your cooking pot.

And there's more than one way to skin a cat: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5422/sort/1/cat/500/page/8

Patrick
09-26-2005, 12:10
Mice, I just made a SuperCat as my first stove project (never even used an alcohol stove before). It's basically just the outer portion of your stove (3 oz. can with two rows of holes).

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

I used a standard hole punch and two rows of twelve holes, offset. $0.33 and ten minutes to make. On a half-ounce of alcohol boils two cups of water in five minutes. That's in my kitchen with no windscreen in a covered 1.3 liter ti pot.

Now, I have zero experience with these things, but I don't know why the SuperCat isn't the most popular stove out there for homemade types. It's the easiest to make I've seen, has only one part, and nothing to assemble.

I'm still trying to work out a good, light stand to use with it. I'll post pictures of both when it's done.

Dances with Mice
09-26-2005, 13:02
Mice, I just made a SuperCat as my first stove project (never even used an alcohol stove before). It's basically just the outer portion of your stove (3 oz. can with two rows of holes). ....

I'm still trying to work out a good, light stand to use with it. I'll post pictures of both when it's done.Yeah, when I first saw that stove (or another version called the "Atlanta" stove - http://zenstoves.net/AtlantaStove.htm) I did the headslap, 'why didn't I think of that first?', thing.

With the Super you shouldn't need a stand, right? That's one of its advantages. Did you mean a windscreen?

Patrick
09-26-2005, 13:34
Well, you don't need a stand to use it, no. Actually, it needs the pot right on top to work properly. The pot seals the top, creating the pressure for the "jets" to work.

The problem is that it's so small and light, I don't feel confident using it on anything but a flat surface. Plus, it's going to heat the heck out of whatever it's sitting on now. The shelter tables have enough little black rings in them.

If I had to set it up on a rocky beach or on the forest floor, it doesn't seem stable enough. I've been playing around with various ideas for legs, but nothing I can think of seems to beat Jim's own plan for a stand, which is on the above website.

I have a few improvements in mind for the legs, though. I'm going to the store today to see what I can find. I'll post pictures tonight if all goes well. I'm hoping that the stove, stand, and windscreen will come in under 3 oz. I'm also hoping to get everything to pack into my 1.3 liter pot. That's stove, stand, windscreen, plastic bowl, plastic cup, spoon, and lighter.

Patrick
09-26-2005, 13:44
Hmm, I like that Atlanta stove, especially after reading Sgt Rock's info on flame height. The Atlanta claims four minute burn times with a half-ounce and the best I've gotten have been five.

I've made two SuperCats, one by drilling, the second using a regular hole punch. The hole punch makes nice clean holes and it much faster and easier. The holes are bigger, though. I compensated by using less -- the bottom row of twelve, and the top row offset with eleven. I'll try making one with just a bottom row and see how it affects efficiency.

The SuperCat instructions call the lower row of holes vents, but just as much flame seems to come out of them as the top row, so I'm not sure two rows are really needed. In fact, based on the flame height stuff, the top row might just be wasting fuel. Tonight I'll make two more stoves, one with a single row of punched holes and another with a single row of smaller, drilled holes and see if there's a significant difference.

The best part of making this stove was the look I got at the store when buying three cans of cat food, a hole punch, and a bottle of fuel-line de-icer.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-26-2005, 13:57
The best part of making this stove was the look I got at the store when buying three cans of cat food, a hole punch, and a bottle of fuel-line de-icer.
:eek::D Now, just watch, your name is going to end up on a terrorist 'watch list'... "He must be making a bomb!" :datz

Mountain Hippie
09-26-2005, 14:43
:eek::D Now, just watch, your name is going to end up on a terrorist 'watch list'... "He must be making a bomb!" :datz

Unless he actually owns a cat. Then I suspect he may get a visit from a representative of the Humane Society. :D

Patrick
09-26-2005, 18:18
If someone forced a cat on me, that probably is what I'd use the alcohol for.

I got the supplies for the stand on my lunch hour today. Cost for parts: $1.51 and I have enough of the masonite to make easily five of these things, so if anyone wants any, it's yours for free.

Actually at less than a buck for four square feet, I'd have still bought it just so I wouldn't have to wait. I'm no good with the patience.

I'll post pictures of the stand and new stoves tonight. I have a good idea for the legs that I think will work out and make things a bit more packable.

Patrick
09-27-2005, 00:27
CynJ,

Sorry to hijack your thread. I moved the results over to a new thread.

CynJ
09-27-2005, 06:33
NP :)

I will go find it - I am curious to see the potstand!