PDA

View Full Version : Electrolyte Replacement

Goonky
05-11-2014, 21:55
I typically hike with powdered gatorade, as I find water and food alone is not enough. I need some type of electrolyte replacement.

I find the gatorade powder a little heavy.

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergen-C-Super-Orange-Net-30-count/dp/B00016RL9G

Just wondering what other people use as an electrolyte replacement.

Mobius
05-11-2014, 22:09
I've seen Succeed S! Caps recommended by many ultra runners. No vitamins but a lot more sodium. It'll depend on what you think you need.

Venchka
05-11-2014, 22:15
Back in the day, many sports nutritionists suggested diluting Gatorade in a bottle 1:1 with plain water. The same worked for powdered Gatorade, 2 water to 1 powder. Your Gatorade just lost half it's weight.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Slo-go'en
05-11-2014, 22:18
I use Propel, but their current selection of flavors isn't much to my liking.

MuddyWaters
05-11-2014, 22:39
I use sqwincher Kwik stick lites. They add a bit of salts, and a bit of flavor to water, at 0.1 oz each. Plus, they taste decent.
To buy a variety I have to find someone on ebay that puts together varieties and sells them. Who needs 200 of one flaveor?

Sheriff Cougar
05-11-2014, 23:38
I typically hike with powdered gatorade, as I find water and food alone is not enough. I need some type of electrolyte replacement.

Here is a home recipe. The 'lite' salt is important because it is pure potassium. Not sure how much it weighs.

1 Kool-Aid packet
1/4 tsp Morton Lite salt
1/4 tsp sea salt
heaping 1/2 cup sugar
2 quarts water

Throw it all together and stir. Chill it and prepare to guzzle it down when you're sweating a ton from sports or working outside on a hot day.

OCDave
05-11-2014, 23:55
The original Lemon-Lime Gatorade - nothing else compares. For me, it is worth the weight. I love the taste, I love the color. Placebo or real? It keeps me hiking.

ScareBear
05-12-2014, 07:15
I am surprised that nobody recognizes that the ingredients in the original AlkaSeltzer(the one without aspirin) are identical to commercial(and expensive) rehydration salts. Try some AlkaSeltzer on the trail. Two per day ought to do it...

daddytwosticks
05-12-2014, 07:18
Powdered blue Gatoraid while hiking. Diluted like explained above. That plus all the salty crap food you usually take on a hike. I love my Fritoes corn chips! :)

pipsissewa
05-12-2014, 07:31
I am surprised that nobody recognizes that the ingredients in the original AlkaSeltzer(the one without aspirin) are identical to commercial(and expensive) rehydration salts. Try some AlkaSeltzer on the trail. Two per day ought to do it...

Interesting. What you're referring to is called "Alka-Seltzer Heartburn". "Alka-Seltzer Original" contains aspirin. See the ingredient list for Alka-Seltzer Original:

Here's the ingredient info on "Alka-Seltzer Heartburn" (citric acid, baking soda, potassium, magnesium and sweeteners):

Thanks for the idea; I never would have thought of that. I might be more inclined to try Sheriff Cougar's recipe because of the various Kool-Ade flavors and the real sugar (for energy). :D

ocasey3
05-12-2014, 07:35
I use a product called NUUN. Comes in tablet form and kinda works like Alka-Seltzer. Some flavors are better than others but we like that the taste isn't too strong and that there is no sugar.

Starchild
05-12-2014, 07:55
I have used powdered Pedialyte on occasion and keep some in my first aid kit, most 'normal' flavors are pretty good and when you need it it works fantastic. Smaller and lighter then the sports drink mix and with more electrolytes as it is a 'pediatric electrolyte medicine' not a 'sports drink'. It is also more expensive.

colorado_rob
05-12-2014, 08:11
Powdered blue Gatoraid while hiking. Diluted like explained above. That plus all the salty crap food you usually take on a hike. I love my Fritoes corn chips! :) This, exactly. Don't forget that the "weight" in Gatorade powder is sugar and most importantly calories, about 100 per ounce, no heavier than your other sugar-based energy snacks. I also use that Nuun product occasionally, though some of the flavors reek...

soulrebel
05-12-2014, 08:17
electolyte tab of choice plus potato chips...

Malto
05-12-2014, 08:46
This, exactly. Don't forget that the "weight" in Gatorade powder is sugar and most importantly calories, about 100 per ounce, no heavier than your other sugar-based energy snacks. I also use that Nuun product occasionally, though some of the flavors reek...

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to point this out.

In point three of the post below you will find a recipe for electrolytes that mimic some VERY high priced electrolyte products. I both mix this in with my Malto mix and fill capsules. This allows me to tailor the dosage and not overdo or underdo electrolytes in the process of fueling.
http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=8838f8ab5a48c389f54cb806da49be 7e&entry_id=19697

bigcranky
05-12-2014, 09:08
I take the Gatorade recovery packets, usually the "light" version which has both sugar and some sort of low-cal sweetener. They supposedly make 16 oz of drink, but I dilute it to make 32 oz and it seems to work pretty well. In particular, I notice that I don't get leg cramps at night when I drink this at the end of the day.

peakbagger
05-12-2014, 09:18
I carry the Nuun. I find that the flavor isn't overwhelming and I can drink a lot more over the course of a day in place of sugar containing drinks. Nuun seems to be quickly absorbed and can really cut down on leg cramps.

I also occasionally mix up some home made electrolyte mix per the prior recipes.

Please note Morton Lite Salt isn't pure potassium chloride, its a 50/50 blend with regular salt, (sodium chloride).

Papa Al
05-12-2014, 10:23
A newbie at this hiking thing I have plenty of year experience under this old and long belt ultra running on trails, that being sad I would strongly recommend succeed E caps.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2014, 13:13
I too was going to point out that the weight is all sugar, which is not a bad thing. I would not want to use a low calorie electrolyte solutions that uses artificial sweeteners. In addition to the calories you need anyway, re-hydration mixes include sugar because this is important for the electrolyte uptake. Specifically, these use glucose (aka dextrose). The sugar you buy in the store is really sucrose. If you wanted to make hydration mix with glucose, you can get it at store that sell beer making supplies (sold there as corn sugar). I see that Gatorade Powder is sweetened with a mixture of sugar (aka sucrose) and glucose. Emergen-C is sweetened with fructose. This allows it to be lower calorie because fructose is almost twice as sweet as sucrose, so you can use less and have the same sweetness. I do not know how fructose or sucrose would function as a replacement for glucose in hydration salts. Although glucose, sucrose, and fructose are different in terms of sweetness, they all have about the same number of calories per gram. You could make a lower weight/lower calorie version of the home made recipe above that uses Kool-Aid by using fructose (half the amount) instead of sugar. You can usually find fructose in the grocery store along with the other sweeteners. BTW, glucose is a little less sweet than sucrose so you need a bit more of it to give the same taste. Many soft drinks are sweetened with HFCS or high fructose corn syrup. Here they use corn sugar (glucose) and convert some of it to fructose. They blend the two get a mix that has a calorie and sweetness level that is similar to sucrose. One last sugar term you might see is invert sugar. This is a 50/50 mixture of glucose and fructose. It is made by splitting sucrose (which is a disaccharide made from one glucose and one fructose).

flemdawg1
05-12-2014, 13:18
Go to Kroger and get the store brand Hydration drink mix.

Goonky
05-12-2014, 17:45
Thanks everyone, this has been helpful to read. You've given some good info to think about! :)

mtntopper
05-12-2014, 18:42
Try This:
Ultima..........comes in four flavors. Compare the ingredients to the others. It is also gluten free for those that need it.
ultimareplenisher.com

nastynate
05-12-2014, 20:18
When I'm trail racing, I use Heed. Not too sweet. I haven't beer it hiking yet, but I only crank big miles for days on energy either.

Praha4
05-12-2014, 21:53
I was using various electrolyte drink tabs, like NUUN and GU-Brew, but got tired of the chalky "alka seltzer" taste. Plus they are expensive. Now I just take Mio-Fit or Mio-Energy liquid water enhancer, which can be found in most any store these days. When I go into town I usually buy the real Gatorade to rehydrate and to replace the 20 oz. plastic bottle that I carry with me in my pack.

Hops53
05-12-2014, 23:00
No pat answer for this, it depends upon the individual - sodium content in sweat varies dramatically between individuals (potassium does not) - with some people losing twice as much sodium as others - low sodium "sweaters" will do well with lower sodium containing replacements - but these will be inadequate for others - Some products (NUUN, for example) allow you to vary the amount of sodium you are adding per liter. If you are interested in a study looking at sodium concentrations in sweat, here is a reference: International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 2005, 15, 641-652 "Sweat and Sodium Losses in NCAA Football Players: A Precursor to Heat Cramps? You can read the article here:
http://www.csun.edu/~lisagor/2009%20Fall/608-09Fall/608-1.Sweat%20and%20Sodium%20Losses%20in%20NCAA%20Foot ball%20Players.pdf

Odd Man Out
05-12-2014, 23:29
Here is a home recipe. The 'lite' salt is important because it is pure potassium. Not sure how much it weighs.

1 Kool-Aid packet
1/4 tsp Morton Lite salt
1/4 tsp sea salt
heaping 1/2 cup sugar
2 quarts water

Throw it all together and stir. Chill it and prepare to guzzle it down when you're sweating a ton from sports or working outside on a hot day.

A correction on this.

The Morton Salt Substitute is KCl. The Morton Lite Salt is a mixture of NaCl and KCl. If using this, you could get the same result by using 1/2 tsp and leaving out the sea salt.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/culinary-salts/food-salts/3/morton-lite-salt-mixture/
http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-home/culinary-salts/food-salts/5/morton-salt-substitute/

Sheriff Cougar
05-17-2014, 17:27
You are right. Also, sometimes when I am doing a lot of work outside and it is really hot and I have been sweating profusely, I just pour either the Salt substitute or the Lite salt in my palm and 'eat' it. Keeps the 'shakes and muscle cramps' at bay.

4Bears
05-17-2014, 22:23
I use a product called NUUN. Comes in tablet form and kinda works like Alka-Seltzer. Some flavors are better than others but we like that the taste isn't too strong and that there is no sugar.
I believe the name is NUNN I use it and like on my long bike rides and will on hikes now also.

SouthMark
05-17-2014, 22:26
I believe the name is NUNN I use it and like on my long bike rides and will on hikes now also.
Plus 1 ..........

ocasey3
05-17-2014, 22:28

No, it is NUUN, with two Us in the middle. I have some right in my kitchen. :)

jeffmeh
05-18-2014, 08:41
Emergen-C also has this. Citric acid, malic acid, tapioca matodextrin and natural flavor. Serving size 1 packet 4.0g (0.1oz)makes 1 liter sports water. Calcium 100mg, Magnesium 120mg, Manganese 2mg, Chromium 20 mcg, Potassium 408 mg, Stevia (leaf extract) 10 mg. Calories 0 Carbs 0g.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergen-C-Electro-Mix-Lemon-Lime-30-count/dp/B002HWRY5S/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

WILLIAM HAYES
05-18-2014, 10:56
been using Emergen C for years works well for me light weight and a good variety

4Bears
05-18-2014, 20:37
No, it is NUUN, with two Us in the middle. I have some right in my kitchen. :)
I am in error.... thanks for correcting me... must have been dyslexic when looking at the label.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2014, 22:24
The Nuun I tried, was Naasty. Plus takes too long for the big tablet to dissolve.

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2014, 22:30
http://www.brawndo.com/images/buynow.jpg

gof
05-18-2014, 22:58
How about this. May have an Amazon link above...
http://www.emergenc.com/products#specialty-formulas.electromix

Odd Man Out
05-19-2014, 12:47
How about this. May have an Amazon link above...
http://www.emergenc.com/products#specialty-formulas.electromix

Except that what you really need is energy and sodium, which this product specifically leaves out????

theinfamousj
05-20-2014, 11:30
I have used Gatorade powder in home-made packets (<3 my heat sealer!).

However, it seems that a lot of people who don't hike cannot stand the taste of NUUN tablets, so I've got several tubes of those to go through (yay gifts from others!), plus a lot of single-tablet packets that were picked up as "throw them out into the crowd and make it rain" at Trail Days and various other occasions that NUUN sponsored. I am not the biggest fan of the flavor, either, but when you need an electrolyte replacement you aren't exactly in a position to be picky.

I also use Emergen-C. Costco had a big big box for sale there a few years ago and again a friend purchased it and then decided she didn't like the flavor. So I got the remaining 1,999 packets. Still working my way through those as well.

I find that I will use one electrolyte supplement per heavy athletic activity day. Light athletic activity days my food tends to keep my body properly salty.

rocketsocks
05-20-2014, 16:23
The Nuun I tried, was Nasty. Plus takes too long for the big tablet to dissolve.agree, kinda like suckin on a vitamin...heavy metal, an acquired taste. Pretty pricey too!

Weather-man
05-20-2014, 19:43
From this web site: http://clearingmyemptynest.blogspot.com/2009/02/oral-rehydration-solution-homemade.html

For what it's worth I've spoken with Docs ref ORS and the consensus was that the efficacy is anecdotal. Regardless I've used it often and seemed to help during endurance events.

WHO Oral Rehydration Solution

Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
Tap Water 1 Liter (= 1 Qt. 2 tablespoons)

Chill. Can be served with fresh lemon squeezed into it. One can also mix it with Crystal Light or "sugar-free Kool-Aid" - don't use Regular Kool-Aid as it takes extra sugar which can worsen diarrhea.

This tastes quite salty to someone who isn't dehydrated.

postholer.com
05-20-2014, 20:56
electolyte tab of choice plus potato chips...

Ditto on the chips. :)

If you're eating your proper daily trail calories, in most cases you won't need any special electrolyte replacement. Plenty of sodium/potassium in your food already.

-postholer

hikingshoes
05-21-2014, 00:11
I use EFS and love it. I don't have leg cramps after hiking all day.

TrippLite
05-21-2014, 01:10
Here is another product you may want to consider... HEED by Hammer
Great results, the lemon lime and melon flavors have a subtle taste, nothing you would want to order and sip while sitting poolside on a cruise. Downside is it does not dissolve very well, you will have to shake constantly.Easy on the stomach however.

Previous poster mentioned pedialyte..
I have used pedialyte mixed with sprite while recovering from flu like symptoms and dehydration in the past with great results..

Starvin Marvin
05-21-2014, 08:07
Powerade Zero Drops.

ralph23
05-21-2014, 08:36
You really don't need any form of electrolyte replacement for your average day of trail hiking. Some of the products that have been mentioned are gimmick products that are marketed toward endurance athletes. The credible products mentioned are generally used by elite level athletes who are working very hard for many hours per day. We are talking long course triathletes or NFL players. My guess is you are not breaking that much of a sweat in a day of hiking. (Nor would you want to break that much of a sweat while hiking)

Also, lets consider your sodium intake from most of the prepared trail foods. Backpackers pantry averages 1400-1500 mg of sodium per package. Thats more than half of your daily recommended amount (2,300 mg) in one meal. Now add in your other two meals and all of your trail snacks and you are way over the limit. No need to supplement.

Want a boost of energy on the trail? Deprive yourself of caffeine for two weeks before heading out to reset your tolerance. Then supplement with caffeine as needed in tolerable amounts.

colorado_rob
05-21-2014, 08:46
... Now add in your other two meals and all of your trail snacks and you are way over the limit. No need to supplement.

Want a boost of energy on the trail? Deprive yourself of caffeine for two weeks before heading out to reset your tolerance. Then supplement with caffeine as needed in tolerable amounts. Well, there is more to electrolyte replacement than just salt, hence why I carry g-ade powder, modest amounts.

Agree on the caffeine thing! This trick really works (I use it for big climbs), though the 2-weeks of pre-hike/climb "de-tox" is tough...

Malto
05-21-2014, 09:43
You really don't need any form of electrolyte replacement for your average day of trail hiking. Some of the products that have been mentioned are gimmick products that are marketed toward endurance athletes. The credible products mentioned are generally used by elite level athletes who are working very hard for many hours per day. We are talking long course triathletes or NFL players. My guess is you are not breaking that much of a sweat in a day of hiking. (Nor would you want to break that much of a sweat while hiking)

Also, lets consider your sodium intake from most of the prepared trail foods. Backpackers pantry averages 1400-1500 mg of sodium per package. Thats more than half of your daily recommended amount (2,300 mg) in one meal. Now add in your other two meals and all of your trail snacks and you are way over the limit. No need to supplement.

Want a boost of energy on the trail? Deprive yourself of caffeine for two weeks before heading out to reset your tolerance. Then supplement with caffeine as needed in tolerable amounts.

Whether you need electrolytes will depend greatly on the type of hiking you do. Those that do long 30+ mile days are doing an activity more like an endurance event then a stroll through the woods. As far as salt in your meal, RDA is meaningless even with typical mileage done while backpacking. RDA works well for typical activity levels not for moderate backpacking. Case in point, go knock out consistent 20 mile days eating the RDA of calories. Don't think that would work all that well.

finally, agree on caffeine, although I'm not sure you need the two week break. I take a caffeine pill every four hours while hiking and it makes a world of difference.

ChuckT
05-21-2014, 11:36
There's RDA then there's my-DA and (sadly) never the twain will meet

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

Odd Man Out
05-21-2014, 12:09

I agree that with the salt in my diet, I may not need electrolyte drinks and don't plan on using them routinely (planning a 6 day AT hike in VA in July). But given it is VA in July, it could be brutally hot and humid, so I am making some of the homemade electrolyte solution to take, more of as a first aid item, in case I feel it's needed. We may not want to or like to break that much of a sweat, but stuff happens. I'll use this recipe, but use glucose instead of sugar (i.e. sucrose).

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1254151

Also, I am of the opinion that caffeine gives you the illusion of an energy boost, since it has no calories.

Weather-man
05-23-2014, 03:50
http://www.amazon.com/Drip-Drop-ORS-Powder-Packs/dp/B004HIXN28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400831298&sr=8-1&keywords=drip+drop+hydration

Developed by a Mayo-trained physician, Drip Drop ORS is a new medical grade hydration solution that is changing the way people think about effective treatment and prevention of dehydration. Dehydration is a prevalent medical condition that deserves an effective and convenient go-to solution. Proven worldwide in the most challenging circumstances, Drip Drop has won early adoption by a broad spectrum of users including top hospitals and physicians, elite athletes, U.S. Special Forces, humanitarian workers, pharmacists, and patients with chronic illness. Drip Drop is a great-tasting rehydration solution that, when mixed with water, delivers 2-3 times the electrolytes of sports drinks and 25% more than pediatric alternatives. The patented solution delivers better fluid retention than other alternatives -- which means one can drink less fluid and stay better hydrated. Drip Drop is based on Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT), a medically recognized, optimal way to treat dehydration. Drip Drop delivers the proven science behind ORT with a revolutionary taste that is similar to a sports drink. Drip Drop is a patented, FDA-approved medical food, with an ingredient profile categorized as Generally Recognized As Safe (G.R.A.S.). At Drip Drop, we're on a mission to improve the way the world hydrates. Drip Drop is working with leaders across many industries to reduce dehydration's impact on health, performance, and safety.

TOW
05-23-2014, 08:10

When you come to a town get some fresh lemons and cut it quarters and squeeze that off into an 8 ounce glass of water. That will really help replace the Vitamin C that your body uses regularly. Also take some Vitamin B12

Sent from my U670C using Tapatalk 2

Odd Man Out
05-23-2014, 08:59
http://www.amazon.com/Drip-Drop-ORS-Powder-Packs/dp/B004HIXN28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400831298&sr=8-1&keywords=drip+drop+hydration

This one has Sucralose in it. I am trying to avoid those.

bangorme
05-23-2014, 09:02
You really don't need any form of electrolyte replacement for your average day of trail hiking.

I know this not to be true in my case. I perspire A LOT, and my skin is flaky with salt at the end of the day. I usually suffer from severe leg cramps through the night (getting in and out of the bag is torture). Additionally, I have a hard time eating "trail food" during the first two or three days. I'm going to try some of the products mentioned to see if they help.

Cookerhiker
05-25-2014, 17:06
I've used these, most recently on a hike into the Grand Canyon. I also fill up on salted peanuts and cashews.
http://www.emergenc.com/sites/www.emergenc.com/files/electromix_big_0.png

gof
05-31-2014, 23:34
Except that what you really need is energy and sodium, which this product specifically leaves out????

Understood. But the topic was "Electrolyte Replacement", not energy and sodium replacement. I know sodium is a primary electrolyte, just adding my .0000000000001 cents worth.

magneto
06-01-2014, 01:03
bangorme:

With you on your post. I have the same problem. Esp. The debilitating leg cramps. It gets worse the more plain water you drink, as you flush out the minerals.

The key is not to get behind. Add the supplements to every liter. The problem is they are heavy. But using them will make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bflorac
06-01-2014, 01:05
Propel powder: good, light
Mio Energy products: lots of caffeine!
Gatorade Energy Chews: I found these worked great! A few chews would give the juice to finish out a long day of hiking. However they are not "ultralight"

bigcranky
06-01-2014, 10:08
I've used these, most recently on a hike into the Grand Canyon. I also fill up on salted peanuts and cashews.

Hey, cookerhiker, thanks for this. I compared the ingredients to the Gatorade packets I was using, and just ordered a bunch of these Electromix packets for a hike this summer. They have 5x the potassium, and I'm getting both sodium and carbs from the snacks I eat while drinking the mix.

Hoping to help prevent the awful leg cramps that I was getting at night while hiking, like bangorme.

bangorme
06-01-2014, 10:48
bangorme:

With you on your post. I have the same problem. Esp. The debilitating leg cramps. It gets worse the more plain water you drink, as you flush out the minerals.

The key is not to get behind. Add the supplements to every liter. The problem is they are heavy. But using them will make a huge difference.

Which ones do you use personally? I'd like to avoid as much sugar as I can.

magneto
06-01-2014, 10:51
I had been using "nuun" tablets in a green bottle:

http://shop.nuun.com/nuun-active-hydration

Not sure about the sugar but they do work. They are heavy, though.

A slight effervescent lime flavor. Very palatable.

bangorme
06-01-2014, 10:59
I had been using "nuun" tablets in a green bottle:

http://shop.nuun.com/nuun-active-hydration

Not sure about the sugar but they do work. They are heavy, though.

A slight effervescent lime flavor. Very palatable.

I've found them for $44.09 on Ebay (per 100) in single serve packets with free shipping. That wouldn't be bad I guess.

magneto
06-01-2014, 11:00
Yeah - a bit expensive but the alternative sucks. I'm going to keep looking - I'll post again here if I find anything else.

Odd Man Out
06-01-2014, 13:16
Understood. But the topic was "Electrolyte Replacement", not energy and sodium replacement. I know sodium is a primary electrolyte, just adding my .0000000000001 cents worth.

The glucose is not just energy, but it is part of the electrolyte replacement process. I should have added that in Oral Rehydration Therapy mixtures, the glucose is required because the sodium and and glucose are taken up by the body in a 1:1 ratio. When suffering from dehydration due to diarrhea, taking electrolytes and water alone does not solve the problem as the body cannot effectively utilize either without the glucose. I do not know the degree to which this also applies for mild exercise-induced dehydration and electrolyte loss and have not found an authoritative source to answer that question. I will ask some of my friends who teach physiology. One thing I know for sure, companies that sell electrolyte replacement products are not authoritative sources.

Patrickjd9
06-01-2014, 17:35
I take a ziplock bag of old-school powdered Gatorade for each day backpacking, and add it to a 1 or 1-1/2 liter water bottle at lunchtime each day to drink during the hottest part of the day.

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 18:30

this is on Amazon. Can get 30 packs for $6.... thats like 20cents each.

I may get it just for the taste. I have been using MIO drops to help with the nasty stream water in my camel back. But this is cheaper and probably would help me stay refreshed.

jeffmeh
06-01-2014, 19:08

I may get it just for the taste. I have been using MIO drops to help with the nasty stream water in my camel back. But this is cheaper and probably would help me stay refreshed.

I posted the Amazon link earlier in the thread. :)

Ricky&Jack
06-01-2014, 19:12
I posted the Amazon link earlier in the thread. :)

thats probably how i found it then. Was too lazy to double check.

I dont like the taste of my camel back, and water sources taste different from one another. So I was using Mio drops for flavor.

But I'm a fan of sports drinks, so this would probably do just as good at masking the waters flavor... plus its super cheap. And the benfits of the calcium etc is better than Mio

Wise Old Owl
06-01-2014, 23:04

1 Kool-Aid packet
1/4 tsp Morton Lite salt
1/4 tsp sea salt
heaping 1/2 cup sugar
2 quarts water

I like where this is going my problem is the kool Aid Packet. I have posted some early ideas on how to make energy drinks in the past here... to see them may be embarrassing to me. Here are a few additions - I would add some unflavored gelatin, but it has a twist - it won't mix in cold water - it sinks to the bottom. Clearly it needs to be a syrup.. I would swap out the Kool Aid packet with something more adult. Those Apple drink packets come to mind. I hear there are dried honey products and good sweeteners such as Stevia, Splenda for glucose ground apricot or raisin or grape sugar etc. Perhaps a touch of Vitamin C...

Trillium
06-10-2014, 09:19
the price I saw on Amazon was 30 packets for $15.99. Where did you see $6?

Ricky&Jack
06-10-2014, 11:21
the price I saw on Amazon was 30 packets for $15.99. Where did you see $6?

http://www.amazon.com/Alacer-Corp-Electro-Natural-Lemon-Lime/dp/B00B8YQVFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402413489&sr=8-2&keywords=emergenc+electro+mix

I guess with shipping it comes out to $11 ish.

RED-DOG
06-10-2014, 11:36
I use Poweraid it comes in a little squeeze bottle that you mix with water, a couple of drops per quart. it can be found in any grocery store or Wal-Mart.