PDA

View Full Version : What sleeping bag would u bring next week in NC

saltysack
05-12-2014, 10:57
Planning to hike from standing indian to NOC late next week...currently only have a Marmot helium 15 down bag but thinking about buying a cheap fleece bag at 1lb to save weight.. Sufficient or stupid??? The fleece says rated at 55....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerosene
05-12-2014, 11:12
If it were me (and I did this section in mid-May) I would likely bring my 16-oz, 35-degree WM HighLite (http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=16) mummy, which keeps me warm down into the low-40s. I'm a fairly warm sleeper, but I wouldn't want to risk it with a 55-degree fleece that only weighs a pound. You would have to supplement with clothing I would think, so I'm not sure how much of a weight savings you would garner.

moytoy
05-12-2014, 11:20
You can easily have a 30's night in mid May. It may not happen but it may. I would take the 15 if that's all I have.

saltysack
05-12-2014, 11:24
Guess it's time to buy a late spring/ summer quilt/bag...

HooKooDooKu
05-12-2014, 12:47
From now thru September, camping in the GSMNP, I carry my 32º Mountain Hardware Ultralamina sleeping bag, wool toboggan, and rain cloths. The bag weights as much as a cheap 55º fleece blanket. If temperatures take an unexpected dip, the toboggan and rain cloths should be enough of an extra layer to keep me warm... At lower elevations, I've used the 32º bag until Veteran's day... but if I'm staying in the higher elevations, I switch over to my 3lb 15º bag by October.

But otherwise, I've had temperatures that were almost too warm to get into my tent as sundown when camping at mid-elevations in GSMNP over Memorial Day Weekend.

bigcranky
05-12-2014, 13:56
Guess it's time to buy a late spring/ summer quilt/bag...

Maybe so. I finally got a summer weight quilt (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/) last year and love it. It's good down to the mid 40s, so from early May through September around here. Works well both in my hammock and on the ground.

My 30-F bag was not a great compromise -- far too warm for summer use, it wasn't quite enough for shoulder seasons when I often get lows in the 20s. So I sent it back to Western Mountaineering for a couple of added ounces of down. Now it's closer to a 20F bag, which makes more sense in a 3-bag lineup (5F, 20F, 45F).

saltysack
05-12-2014, 14:04
Maybe so. I finally got a summer weight quilt (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/shenandoah-standard-rectangular-quilts/) last year and love it. It's good down to the mid 40s, so from early May through September around here. Works well both in my hammock and on the ground.

My 30-F bag was not a great compromise -- far too warm for summer use, it wasn't quite enough for shoulder seasons when I often get lows in the 20s. So I sent it back to Western Mountaineering for a couple of added ounces of down. Now it's closer to a 20F bag, which makes more sense in a 3-bag lineup (5F, 20F, 45F).

I like the weight and price...$169 seems reasonable...think ill order one...did u get the water resistant down?

bigcranky
05-12-2014, 14:30
I like the weight and price...$169 seems reasonable...think ill order one...did u get the water resistant down?

I just got the plain down. I don't know enough about the water-resistant down to make that choice.

I do like the quilt. There is a velcro strip running a couple of feet up from the bottom (the non-grabby velcro) along with a drawstring so I can close the end into a nice footbox. I did get the tall version as I am 6 feet and wanted to be able to wrap it around my shoulders. It has plenty of width for me to tuck it under my body on colder nights. Seems accurately rated at around 45F.

(Edit: the usual disclaimer, I am just a happy customer, yada yada.)

saltysack
05-12-2014, 15:39
Thx guess ill order long but at 5'11" seems silly.....they rec over 5'10" go to tall...I've always considered myself short at 5'11" 215 lbs

daddytwosticks
05-12-2014, 16:01
I'm planning to do Winding Stair Gap to the NOC over the three day Memorial Weekend. Based on similar hikes in the past, I'll be using my Montbell Thermal Sheet opened up like a quilt inside a SMD Meteor bug bivy. With clothing, this keeps me warm down into the mid 40's (I'm a cold sleeper). If the forecast calls for colder than normal weather, I'll ditch the above and go with my WM Megalite. :)

Josh Calhoun
05-21-2014, 14:11
I would use my REI 20 degree waterproof bag. if its warm i just use it like a blanket. i that bag from erwin TN to Katahdin last year. worked out great. i did pick up a bag liner and on really warm nights would just use it until i woke up cold, then would pull the bag over me. Dont make the mistake of bringing a bag that is rated to high -Rash