PDA

View Full Version : Jacks r better Sierra stealth quilt users??

saltysack
05-12-2014, 17:02
Looking at buying the jacks r better 40 deg quilt for late spring and summer use...$189.00 & 17.5 oz...any input as will be first quilt...spoke w Jack and he recommended this for my application...any user feedback??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inspectorgene
05-12-2014, 17:15
No feedback on the quilt, but the Jacks are stand up guys, and quality of workmanship has always been excellent on every piece of their gear I have ever owned or seen.

Corsac
05-12-2014, 17:25
I have only had a chance to use mine a few times and it has been great! Very quality piece and I was perfectly comfortable in the high 40s low 50s.

tagg
05-12-2014, 17:26
I have one. Love it. Nice to be able to wear it as a coat around camp if you hit cold weather, despite the fact that it looks ridiculous when you're wearing it. It's a great choice for the seasons you're talking about, especially late spring.

superman
05-12-2014, 17:41
I have used mine a lot. It is one of the better investments I made for hiking gear. The only trouble I had with it was reaching so deep in my pocket. You might get a deal at Traiidaze.

saltysack
05-12-2014, 18:20
Wish I could make it....maybe I'll ask jack for a pre trail days special!!!

kayak karl
05-12-2014, 18:22
used mine over 100 nights and have had it down below 32 with no problems. like the fact it is wearable and can be worn at camp.

saltysack
05-12-2014, 18:24
Did y'all get the reg down or the waterproof for $10 more??

joshuasdad
05-13-2014, 12:41
I carry this almost all the time as survival gear, it is really nice under a waterproof poncho to stay warm on a cold day hike when needed. On overnights, I sometimes bring it with my 20 degree backless bag to use as a pillow, or as extra insulation. Consider bringing a silk liner to keep it clean, and to mitigate any drafts that creep in from the sides.

Odd Man Out
05-13-2014, 12:55
I was in a similar situation this year, i.e. shopping for my first quilt for summer use, and asked the same questions. I got the same answer from a different maker (Underground Quilts), but the specs for 40 degree quilts are pretty much the same. I did shell out for the waterproof down and also a bit extra for a couple of oz of overstuff. This may bring it to a 30 or 35 deg quilt, which I figure will make it functional for some three season/ shoulder season use, or at some higher altitudes in summer.

Mobius
05-13-2014, 12:58
I've been happy with mine. I don't use any of the special features (the head hole, ties, tabs, etc.)

saltysack
05-14-2014, 21:03
used mine over 100 nights and have had it down below 32 with no problems. like the fact it is wearable and can be worn at camp.

Planning on taking from glassmine gap to NOC next week...lows for franklin around 60 so I assume 50 at altitude. Jacket functional w this quilt..it will be maden voyage w it..1st time with a quilt

superman
05-15-2014, 11:52
....also I pull in on like a poncho while I sit on my thermarest and eat my pan of cereal before it gets light..

saltysack
05-15-2014, 12:36
....also I pull in on like a poncho while I sit on my thermarest and eat my pan of cereal before it gets light..

Maybe I'll give it a shot... Think I'll save few oz leave the montbell ul down parka home as it's not looking cold in franklin