PDA

View Full Version : bivi recommendation

Gray Bear
05-13-2014, 06:54
I'm looking for a lightweight bivi to use as an emergency backup and as extra precaution for use inside a tent in wet conditions. I'm not really planning on using it directly on the ground as a primary piece of gear. Any suggestions for something reasonably priced that will do the job?

Venchka
05-13-2014, 07:26
You want to get inside a condensation machine inside another potential condensation machine? Hmmmmmm....
It would help if we knew which tent that you plan to use this Bivi Thingie inside of.
Do you own a leaky tent? Have you considered a piece of Tyvek or other waterproof product cut larger than the floor of your tent and placed INSIDE the tent on the floor of the tent?
Maybe you need a sturdier, drier tent.

Wayne

UL_Packer
05-23-2014, 22:22
Spend the money that you are going to use on the bivi and just get a good tent on sale. Its a lighter more comfortable option. As long as you are careful and smart about pitching location there should be no reliability issues with a decent tent. What are you looking for increased reliability in? Weather resistance? Just a warmer tent? Hopefully this helps a little but if you can give us a little more info we may be able to assist a little better.

Wise Old Owl
05-23-2014, 22:34
Yes I agree - what they said... so you have a piece of wet gear - learn how to dry it out. Or have an extra 20 gal trash bag for the foot box.

Bivys take a little more dedication that they may fail you in a downpour, high humidity will turn into an oven bag, and they are awful for mosquitos.. be prepared. Been there done that, still have one.

Franco
05-24-2014, 05:02
SOL has a range of emergency bivvies that may work for you.
From your brief description I would think that the sub 4 oz $17 Emergency bivvy will do the trick.
http://www.rei.com/product/813511/sol-emergency-bivvy#descriptionTab

Wise Old Owl
05-24-2014, 16:37
Great find Franco - clearly I was thinking about the dedicated stand alone Bivy such as Marmot and Outdoor Research. I gave up on the mylar blankets and similar products as they failed me when I needed them most. MY apologies to Grey Bear, I didn't connect the question with the best answer.

This review is typical for this Bivy and other Mylar blankets.

☆☆☆☆☆4 out of 5 stars axf7228
2 years ago
good to have
I have used this twice in emergency situations. It isn't at all comfortable, but I guess that's not the point. I was thinking that it would heat up really quickly, but instead it took about 15 minutes. I woke up drenched in sweat halfway through the night, so it did it's job!!My only complaint is the size of the carrying bag. It is a real pain in the butt to get bivvy back in.

Venchka
05-24-2014, 19:22
Great find Franco - clearly I was thinking about the dedicated stand alone Bivy such as Marmot and Outdoor Research. I gave up on the mylar blankets and similar products as they failed me when I needed them most. MY apologies to Grey Bear, I didn't connect the question with the best answer.

This review is typical for this Bivy and other Mylar blankets.

4 out of 5 stars axf7228
2 years ago
good to have
I have used this twice in emergency situations. It isn't at all comfortable, but I guess that's not the point. I was thinking that it would heat up really quickly, but instead it took about 15 minutes. I woke up drenched in sweat halfway through the night, so it did it's job!!My only complaint is the size of the carrying bag. It is a real pain in the butt to get bivvy back in.

The SOL thing is old news. Can someone explain when and under what conditions the SOL "bivi" would be needed?
I reckon a proper tent or hammock should provide adequate shelter.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Wise Old Owl
05-24-2014, 19:36
Kind of goes back to "Being Prepared" When every kid in camp had to have a space blanket as part of your kit. Its so light weight - but its deceiving. After a few hours of crinkle crinkle crinkle and lack of sleep it starts to rain inside it. It works best as a ground sheet under your bag. yes in really bad weather conditions it does make a difference. If the bag is rated 15 and you slide that into bivy you add maybe ten degrees. I stopped carrying one ten years ago... the down bag is fine without it. I find it interesting that Columbia brought it back as a microdot material layer to one of their jackets.

I think the best way to understand why people carry them is here

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?103855-What-did-she-do-wrong

Franco
05-24-2014, 20:12
I was addressing the "emergency backup " bit.I do have a light somewhat breathable bivvy and also made my own out of Tyvek (Home wrap at the bottom and cloth type at the top) but don't use either because I don't need/want them, however I am not the OP...
As much as I really dislike them (condensation and limited weather conditions they work well in ) , I did recommend one to a mate of mine for a particular Alaskan winter walk and that worked very well for him for that particular situation (kept him alive and out of the wind at -40 )
That was an ID eVent type (as heavy as some tents but more practical for exactly what he was doing) He was on a bike (pug)

Gray Bear
05-28-2014, 11:13
Sorry for being a little vague in my initial post.* I’m thinking of a very light weight bivi to use in case of emergency, for instance a wet bag that can’t be dried out immediately, a damaged tent or maybe a little extra warmth when pushing the limits of your sleep system.** Small enough to stick in a day pack but sturdy enough to hold up to more than one use in poor conditions year round.

Something like the SOL with a water resistant zipper would be ideal

colorado_rob
05-28-2014, 13:26
I made my own some years ago out of a remnant of Goretex paclite (the top) and very lightweight sil nylon (the bottom). A strip of Velcro serves as its "zipper" on one side. The goretex top allows it to breathe yet is waterproof. It weighs 13 ounces, a tad heavy for most applications.

Agreeing with what has already been said, I only carry it on winter day-hikes or climbs for emergency overnight survival use. I personally wouldn't carry any sort of a bivy if I was carrying a tent.

shakey_snake
05-29-2014, 02:17
Don't pack your fears.

Gray Bear
05-29-2014, 06:07
There's a big difference between paranoia and being prepared. I pack rain gear even when the forecast is clear. Guess what, I've used it a few times.

Venchka
05-29-2014, 07:51
If you want dual purpose, emergency, secondary, back up shelter look at the Gatewood Cape or similar products.

Wayne