PDA

View Full Version : Mountains to Sea Trail?

JGarron44
05-13-2014, 07:18
Hi,

I am planning a 4-5 week hike starting on Springer Mountain. My plan was to go to Hot Springs and try and get a lift to Asheville (looks like 90 bucks is going rate). I notice the Mountains to Sea Trail diverts at Clingman's Dome and appears to go right to Asheville. Anyone familiar with this trail? Any advice would be very helpful. I have been toying where best place to get off AT would be, thought about pushing ahead to Erwin, possibly Damasucs. This looks like a different thing to do, so might be pretty cool.

Thanks.

Tipi Walter
05-13-2014, 07:24
Check out Scot Taba Ward's guide ---

http://www.thru-hiker.us/2012-mountains-to-sea-trail

Tennessee Viking
05-13-2014, 11:31
JGarron, I responded to your other thread in the Mountains to Sea forum.

In basics, the MST is a different experience than the AT. Its more rugged in places, and sometimes requires some road walking. And you really need to do some research and planning in order to hiking it in long sections. You will need to know your boundaries, where to camp, and where to supply.

Just be aware the Smokies to Balsam Gap route is incomplete and changing. Check ncmst.org

Taba so far has been the most detailed in with his guides. The Carolina Mtn Club also has a trail guide for most of the mountain section. Stay away from the Allen Dehart book. It contains dated info and doesn't follow the same route anymore.