PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on crocs as camp shoes

DavidNH
09-25-2005, 22:23
hi..

couple weeks back, after some internet research (including right here at whiteblaze) I decided to by a pair of crocs for 30 bucks. These shoes are great in the water and wonderful for kyacking. They are also about half the weight of my Ateva (sp?) shoes. However, when I tried them on a recent weekend backpack I found that with socks on there is not a whole lot of room for my feet and so walking in them is not so great.

I am wondering, is it best to go back to the Atevas and save the 8 oz elsewhere or to stick with the crocs? mostly I use the second pair of foot ware for camp but would also use to for going to water after getting to camp..and that can be at times a half mile or more trek.

davidnh

Shutterbug
09-25-2005, 22:28
I just completed 85 miles of the 100 Mile Wilderness. I used the Crocks to ford two rivers. They worked perfectly.

gumball
09-26-2005, 05:26
Payless Shoe stores carry (or did over the summer) a Crocs-look-alike for 14.99--same good weight, comfortable as the real thing. Not sure if they are still stocking them, tho.

MacGyver2005
09-26-2005, 07:00
Payless Shoe stores carry (or did over the summer) a Crocs-look-alike for 14.99--same good weight, comfortable as the real thing. Not sure if they are still stocking them, tho.
They have discontinued that item. :(

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-26-2005, 07:28
They have discontinued that item. :( I hope the chain just considers the item seasonal and will bring it back in the spring.

Hammock Hanger
09-26-2005, 07:50
Walmart is now carrying a knock off for $9.00. (I like my Crocs as a liwt campshoe.)

Tin Man
09-26-2005, 09:55
I just completed 85 miles of the 100 Mile Wilderness.

Shutterbug,

Question: How did you get out after 85 miles of the 100 Mile Wildnerness? Air lift? I know it really isn't 100 miles of wildnerness anymore. I wish I had done it when it was though. Please share your impressions of the trip, like how wild is it now, etc. Thanks.

restless
09-26-2005, 11:04
...Keens. I realize that some places may not have them as they seem to be a little hard to find. I wore these while hiking this summer as trail shoes, camp shoes, water shoes, etc. They dried out extremely qiuckly and I didn't have to worry about carrying an extra pair of shoes for camp.

Footslogger
09-26-2005, 11:12
I bought a "Croc-like" shoe (Waldie) in Gatlinburg during my 2003 thru and used them all the way to Katahdin. Served me well around camp and also as a good "town" shoe. Still have them and they appear to have a lot of life left.

'Slogger

Shutterbug
09-26-2005, 13:41
Shutterbug,

Question: How did you get out after 85 miles of the 100 Mile Wildnerness? Air lift? I know it really isn't 100 miles of wildnerness anymore. I wish I had done it when it was though. Please share your impressions of the trip, like how wild is it now, etc. Thanks.
Because of the two days of rain from Hurricane Ophelia, I ran out of time before reaching Monson. I arranged to be picked up at the Gulf Hagas Parking Lot on the South bank of the West Branch of the Pleasant R:rolleyes: iver.

The 100 Mile Wilderness is a great place to hike -- a good challenge for someone like me who spends too much time in an office. This year, it was a bit more crowded than I prefer. In two weeks on the trail, I had only one night when I camped at a site where I was truly alone.

There were a few times, usually in the mornings, when I didn't see another hiker for two or three hours, but I passed from 10 to 20 NoBo's every day.

I saw a lot of signs of wildlife (foot prints and scat) but saw only one moose. If one counts red squirrels and chip monks, the wilderness is full of animals.

As far as the 100 Miles being a "wilderness", it really isn't. There are a lot of places that one can enter or leave the AT between Baxter State Park and Monson. One is never more than a day away from a potential pickup point.

Anyway, I enjoyed the hike. I will probably start at Gulf Hagas next year and complete the Maine portion of the AT.

Shutterbug

12hrsN2AT
09-26-2005, 14:47
hi..

couple weeks back, after some internet research (including right here at whiteblaze) I decided to by a pair of crocs for 30 bucks. These shoes are great in the water and wonderful for kyacking. They are also about half the weight of my Ateva (sp?) shoes. However, when I tried them on a recent weekend backpack I found that with socks on there is not a whole lot of room for my feet and so walking in them is not so great.

I am wondering, is it best to go back to the Atevas and save the 8 oz elsewhere or to stick with the crocs? mostly I use the second pair of foot ware for camp but would also use to for going to water after getting to camp..and that can be at times a half mile or more trek.

davidnh
I am confused, why don't you get a croc that fits? It seems that a size larger would work fine unless I misunderstood. I also notice after a 12-20 mile hike I need a size larger. As a camp shoe a little extra toe room is fine.

soulrebel
09-26-2005, 15:40
I wear a 10.5 to 11 -- and my crocs/nothinz are size 12--courtesy of my brother.

They're just right for slip on/off.

D'Artagnan
09-26-2005, 16:04
I hesitated buying Crocs initially because I thought they seemed a little pricey. Eventually I relented and boy am I ever glad I did. They are by far the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and I now wear them everywhere I can get away with it. I especially like them for kayaking.

One of the things I like best about them is how easily they clean up. Just a little water and they're as good as new. Their other main selling point as far as I am concerned is their weight. I just can't say enough good things about them.

BTW, mine are black. (I'm fairly conservative in my clothing choices.) Just curious what colors others wear and why you chose that particular color.

dje97001
09-26-2005, 16:09
I like mine. Also, EMS sells crocs that have a range--i.e. aren't just for one size. Mine are 10-11s. And no, they don't slip off. These lightweight suckers continue to impress me.

Smile
09-26-2005, 17:33
Curious to know the weight difference if any to the $9 knockoffs....

Kerosene
09-26-2005, 17:52
Outside of your Big 4 (sleeping bag, sleeping pad, shelter, pack) there aren't a whole lot of places that you can easily shave a half-pound. If you want to wear socks, buy up a full size. They work great with socks in the Fall as a camp shoe. You can even tromp through the woods for firewood if you're so inclined.

The Solemates
09-27-2005, 09:08
bought a pair of waldies 3 years back when they first came out, when the only colors were black and navy and they were only $15. took them on my thru. still have them and wear them almost every day as a around-the-house shoe. not having the back heel strap saves you another 4 oz or so in weight.

Rainman
09-27-2005, 09:28
I started my hike on the LT last summer with "Nothinz" and left them behind at Seth Warner on my first night out. :datz The next four days with no camp shoes was a pain. I replaced them with Crocs, essentially the same thing, in Manchester. You definitely have to get a size bigger than you might normally wear. I usually didn't wear socks with mine so my feet could breath in camp. But with one size up I can get sock feet in them. The best camp shoe I have ever had. :clap I still think they look funny though.

P.S. I just discovered how to use these dancing icons. Can you tell?

Gadog430
09-27-2005, 15:34
I love my Crocs...GEORGIA BULLDAWG RED.
They are so comfortable and I lash them to the pack with a bandana.
They were pricey, but well worth the money.
Plus, it embarrasses the twelve year-old when I wear them to Wally World. A plusd.

Dawg

JLB
10-02-2005, 02:05
I wear mine doing yardwork. They are nearly worn out, but I have a spare pair waiting.

fiddlehead
10-02-2005, 08:32
"Croc" Liners (made from Neopreme) are now being sold on Adventurelite.com for $8

Jack-Leg
10-02-2005, 22:31
I just bought a pair and used them this past weekend in Algonquin Provincal for a camp shoe and love them. Will be banging out a section of the AT in two weeks and they will be packed for sure!

They beat my Teva's hands down.

Traction
10-03-2005, 01:26
I carried my crocs with me all the way on my thru this year.. and my pack was extremely light (13 pounds with food and water) but I still wouldn't cut out the weight of my crocs.. They make an awesome camp shoe, and town shoe.. Plus they're something cool to look at. Also, once I hit Maine my solomon XA pro's were so worn out they were creating new blisters with every step.. So, I threw my solomon's in a trashcan and donned my wonderful crocs.. completeing well over the last 200 miles (including summiting Katahdin) with only my crocs and a pair of synthetic socks.. and what a dream combination it was. I wish I had figured this out earlier in the trip, I definitely would have done the entire trail in them.. They're so light, and they dry so fast it's amazing.. not to mention it's fun to watch the looks people give you.. so, dish out the cash.. slip on your crocs.. and go for a hike.. you'll never go back to trail runners.. let alone big ole heavy boots..enjoy!

Red Hat
10-03-2005, 09:43
Someone asked about colors.... I bought a conservative pair of beige Crocs in 04 when I was "Oldkathy". This year I searched everywhere until I found a pair of purple ones since I am now "Red Hat". I love them and wear them year round for comfort. They seem to last forever. I'll probably get a pair of red ones too. Red Hat

Frosty
10-03-2005, 11:07
I am confused, why don't you get a croc that fits? It seems that a size larger would work fine unless I misunderstood. I also notice after a 12-20 mile hike I need a size larger. As a camp shoe a little extra toe room is fine.Depends on foot size. I boukght the largest size and still have to cut oukt the toes on them. Socks would be totally out of the question, but then I wouldn't be wearing socks with them anyway. They are good to ford (no socks), and if camp they let my feet air out.

Bayley
10-03-2005, 12:08
I wouldn't trade them for the world. I hiked 250 miles of Maine in them, and I'm wearing them right now (in my dorm room at college). Versatile to boot, and my god comfortable when your feet hurt like hell. Not to mention damn good classy-looking.

Mouse
10-03-2005, 12:30
I skipped camp shoes entirely to save weight. In Hanover NH I bought a pair of Teva flipflops to wear when crossing Maine rivers that weigh only about 4 oz. and mailed them ahead.

jimmyjob
10-03-2005, 14:22
crocs rule..great in the evening..around camp...

ADKSara
10-03-2005, 14:33
We hiked the Northville Placid Trail this summer. I loved my (green) crocs. With or without socks they massage my feet at the end of a long day.

Kerosene
10-03-2005, 17:01
Three years ago I placed an order for a pair of black Crocs, but they were out of stock. They asked me what color I wanted and, since I had to leave for my section hike in a week, I replied, "Any color will do if you can get it here by Friday." So, they sent me the red Crocs. I still remember standing in an AYCE buffet line in Daleville where the teenage girl in front of me took one look and just smiled at my Crocs!