PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone see/used a hammock with a dog?

Ricky&Jack
05-13-2014, 14:41
I have never used a hammock before. Only tents, because I try to hike with my 6mo old Husky, Jack.

I saw a "Skeeter Beeter pro" at a sporting store for only $79. I Think i read it had a 400 lb weight limit. And I want to buy it.

I weigh 240, and full grown my Husky should be 60 or so lbs, so together we would be around 300 lbs.

But the biggest fear of using a hammock would be that his claws etc may tear it (after enough hiking, his claws would self trim themselves down)

Has anyone used a dog in a hammock? Do you think theres a real danger with hanving one in a hammock?

Im thinking he may be able to get used to 'sleeping outside' of the hammock on the ground eventually, but im not sure.

I really like the idea of taking a hammock. But I almost always go with my dog.

Any recommendations or advise?

kayak karl
05-13-2014, 14:54
my lab is 100 lbs now (3 years ago in pic). i have a DIY 12' 1.9 coated nylon hammock without bugnet. some times she sleeps under it on her poncho liner quilt.

Ricky&Jack
05-13-2014, 15:05
that looks awesome.

One of my other worries, is what to do if we do section hikes on the A.T. and it rains for a few straight days...... I would think if we were in a tent, it would be alot easier to both stay dry and could move around so were not just napping and being bored in 1 spot for the whole time.

what do you do for yourself, and your dog if you have several days of rain?

Do you have any personal rules/philosophies such as "if the weather says it will be a big 3 day storm, instead of using the tarp we're just gonna get a motel, etc?"

Im really interested in trying out tarps instead of tents, but am worried a dog would hold that back.

MDSection12
05-13-2014, 15:05
Having torn a hammock after a very slight brush with a rock, I do believe a dog's nail could absolutely puncture a hammock. That said, I bought a pair of dog booties from dogbooties.com to protect my dog's pads and found they protect my hammock as well. Now when I backpack with him I take them (which is a good idea anyway in case he injures a pad) and put them on him before he gets in the hammock.

I have slept in the hammock with him once. He's a big boy at 75 lbs, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Not ideal but workable.

MDSection12
05-13-2014, 15:06
that looks awesome.

One of my other worries, is what to do if we do section hikes on the A.T. and it rains for a few straight days...... I would think if we were in a tent, it would be alot easier to both stay dry and could move around so were not just napping and being bored in 1 spot for the whole time.

Do you have any personal rules/philosophies such as "if the weather says it will be a big 3 day storm, instead of using the tarp we're just gonna get a motel, etc?"

Im really interested in trying out tarps instead of tents, but am worried a dog would hold that back.
Look up the Warbonnet Superfly if you haven't... I'd much rather spend three days under that than a tent. :)

Ricky&Jack
05-13-2014, 15:07
i didnt even think about dog booties for the hammock.

Im really glad I posted here instead of just winging it.

slbirdnerd
05-13-2014, 15:35
I met a guy in camp a few weeks ago who had his dog in the hammock for a while, but he later ended up on the ground with the dog. I think you have to train them for it, as well as train them to be comfortable sleeping under it. This could be a difficult transition if they are used to sleeping up against you, in a crate, etc. I like the booties idea.

Mobius
05-13-2014, 16:41
Note that if you go hammock, don't forget the non-optional accessories: tarp, underquilt/pad, and (if not already integrated) bug net.

I'd think that unless the dog is happy sleeping under the hammock it'd be easier to stay with the tent.

flemdawg1
05-13-2014, 16:57
that looks awesome.

I would think that unless the dog sleeps in bed with you @ home, It should be fine sleeping beneath the hammock. Also, the tarp of your hammock kit is actually easier/dryer to setup in the rain than a normal tent. I just came back from a hike where it rained for 2 solid days. It was warm enough that I didn't use my jacket. But whenever I stopped to camp, I pulled the tarp out and hung it first. Then was able to change, cook, hangout all while staying very dry.

gunner76
05-14-2014, 15:59
I had two Labs that would not get in the hammock but had no problem with sleeping under it. The only problem was they wanted to use the hammock while I was in it as a back scratcher.

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 16:03
I had two Labs that would not get in the hammock but had no problem with sleeping under it. The only problem was they wanted to use the hammock while I was in it as a back scratcher.

Have you used the dogs and hammocks on long hikes?

I feel a hammock would be better for me, personally. But what do you do if you have your dogs ans it rains for 2-3 days?

I figure with a tent, the 2 of u can stay inside and keep dry.

But if i take a hammock on a long hike and it rains at night, what do I do with the dog? I know I would be dry from a tarp, but he would be o the ground, right?

Im curious how people handle hammocks and dogs if its raining.

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2014, 16:13
one suggestion is a dog rain coat to keep the core temp warm.

Here is two tents and his dog with a hammock - I think they sleep together.

Deadeye
05-14-2014, 16:49
Personally, I couldn't sleep with a dog in my hammock - just not enough room, and the sides of the hammock tend to squeeze everything into the middle. If I was intent on sleeping with my dog, I'd go for a bridge hammock.

flemdawg1
05-14-2014, 17:09
Have you used the dogs and hammocks on long hikes?

I feel a hammock would be better for me, personally. But what do you do if you have your dogs ans it rains for 2-3 days?

I figure with a tent, the 2 of u can stay inside and keep dry.

But if i take a hammock on a long hike and it rains at night, what do I do with the dog? I know I would be dry from a tarp, but he would be o the ground, right?

Im curious how people handle hammocks and dogs if its raining.

The dog will fine under your hammock unless you set up directly over a puddle.

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 17:20
okay. I think this info made me more confident in selecting a hammock and not feeling like an @sshole for making my dog stay outside even if it rains, as opposed to a tent.

I saw a skeeter beeter pro for $70 at a chattanooga store and may go get that...... But ill worry about a tarp later. I just want to get used to a tarp and etc with a few 1 nighters in clear weather first.

MDSection12
05-14-2014, 20:39
+1

Just make sure not to set up where rain will run or collect and pitch the tarp low if its really raining.

nu2hike
05-14-2014, 21:38
I tried to hammock with my dog as it is my preferred way to sleep, but it didn't work out! I move around a lot at night and having a dog in the hammock with me was just not doable.
I tried putting him a sleeping mat underneath my hammock but he is too insecure at this point to be comfortable with that arrangement. He saw monsters behind every tree!
I now tent when he goes with me. I compromise a little comfort for the pleasure of his company!:)

HoopProf
05-17-2014, 14:35
The ENO folks make a "gear sling" which is basically a small hammock that hangs underneath your hammock so you can reach your gear easily at night and keep it in out of the rain with you. I don't see why it couldn't be used as a dog bed.

kayak karl
05-17-2014, 18:51
what time of year will the dog be OK? Cold wind, rain, snow, ice, fog? Would you sleep under a hammock? :)

No Directions
05-17-2014, 19:41
This is what you do when there is multiple days of rain. You can't do it when the shelter is crowded though. Someone else recommended the Warbonnet Superfly and I second that. It is light and big and does a good job of keeping you and your gear dry. I've never tried it but I think it would be crowded with a dog in a hammock.

BuckeyeBill
05-18-2014, 14:58
This is what you do when there is multiple days of rain. You can't do it when the shelter is crowded though. Someone else recommended the Warbonnet Superfly and I second that. It is light and big and does a good job of keeping you and your gear dry. I've never tried it but I think it would be crowded with a dog in a hammock.

You can't do it at all. it is illegal to hook any hammock to any part of the shelter. Also advocating it here is a violation of terms of service.

UnfamousK
06-09-2014, 15:39
i have a 3 year old boxer who loves to be outside, ive had this same dilemma of wanting her with on overnights but wanting to sleep in my hammock....I have used a thin fleece blancket as in isolated between her feet and the hammock so it wouldnt tear. This has worked, tho sometimes she just isnt comfortable in the hammock, when that happens i have a tyvek floormat type thing i lay down under the hammock for changing and sitting. In winter time a poncho liner keeps her warm if she wants to lay below me.

kayak karl
06-09-2014, 18:47
You can't do it at all. it is illegal to hook any hammock to any part of the shelter. Also advocating it here is a violation of terms of service. your thinking about the smokies. don't know it to be illegal elsewhere. i is inconsiderate if others are there.

BuckeyeBill
06-11-2014, 01:39
your thinking about the smokies. don't know it to be illegal elsewhere. i is inconsiderate if others are there.

I think you are correct Karl.

Rick I know you love your dog, but if it were me, I would get my rig set up and working for yourself, then see how to go about fitting your dog into the setup. He may be happy to sleep under the tarp on a pad or just a piece of Tyvek. I am going to carry a piece of Tyvek to stand on under my tarp, And to make signs saying Hiker to Town or Hiker to trail. Four uses out of one piece of equipment. Good luck

BuckeyeBill
06-11-2014, 01:40
my forth use is sitting on it.

Ricky&Jack
06-11-2014, 01:45
yeah, Hes gotten big (40 lbs and only 6 months old)... So I pretty much abandoned the idea of him sleeping with me in my new skeeter beeter.

I'll try him on the ground/pad and see how he does with that

redzombie
06-11-2014, 11:27
Having a dog sleep in a hammock is no problem. Just have to take the time before the hike to get your dog used to it. When buying a hammock consider the weight of both you and the dog. Worry about his nails? Cut em short. This too takes time. It will take a few months as well. Cut em short (dont make em bleed), after a few trims of and keeping diligent on keeping the nails short you will be able to cut em shorter without making em bleed. Having your dog in your hammock will help keep both of yall warm. A tent might be a better choice, as the weight might be less. But to be fair, after a long day of hiking a dog wont move much. As soon as he is comfortable, he ain't moving. Try it out. You might be surprised.

SunnyWalker
06-11-2014, 22:53
Read this book: The Darkness in the Light: A Spiritual Journey Along the Appalachian Trail, by Joey Shonka. He started his thru hike of AT with a dog and he would take the dog in his hammock. I don't know how it ended as i did not complete the book.

BuckeyeBill
06-12-2014, 01:40
Read this book: The Darkness in the Light: A Spiritual Journey Along the Appalachian Trail, by Joey Shonka. He started his thru hike of AT with a dog and he would take the dog in his hammock. I don't know how it ended as i did not complete the book.

He ended u-p sending the dog home

POLARBEAR
12-11-2014, 16:01
Hi Guys,

I carried a Clark Jungle Hammock North American in 2006 and had my dog with me for the first 10 days or so. It was fun to sleep together in the hammock but we were used to cuddling on the couch. My dog Jack (RIP) was a bit of a couch potato. I found out years later than he was lazy because he had daily small strokes, which eventually took his life.

We were 300+ together, and I know the Skeeter Beeter and the like are thin parachute nylon. Even your dog's nails could rip one of those!

POLARBEAR
12-11-2014, 16:03
Oh and thanks for reading my book Buckeye and Sunny Walker! If you want to send some trail magic my way, post an awesome review to Amazon and help me sell some books :) I need all the sales I can get, I am half-way through my attempted thru-hike of the Andes and am living on rice and beans.....

Connie
12-11-2014, 17:47
Wet dog in a hammock? I don't think so.

The dog will get wet.

I think a floorless tent vestibule is more practical.

OldTrailDog
02-14-2016, 22:32
Last week I worked on this situation for tackling the AT in 2016. I purchased an Alcott explorer pup tent. I replaced the fiberglass poles (7.5 oz.)with two short sections of aluminium arrow shaft with automotive tubing caps on the ends (1 oz.). The tent can be suspended from either a tree or the hammock suspension to hold the tent upright. I also worked on an pad that has tyvek on the bottom and fleece on top and I can slip a piece of reflectix in between. The tent with arrow shaft poles weighs 14.5 oz. I have not weighed the tyvek pad. I am still figuring my options on what I will exactly take. I may just take the pad and have my Border Collie sleep under the hammock/tarp on the leeward side of my pack for shelter. She definitely likes the tent and will sleep in it even when there are other options for her to choose from. I am also open to abandoning the whole hammock idea and resorting to using my cuben fiber floorless hextent (same dimensions as a Golite Hex3).

My current plan is to give the hammock setup a go from Harper's Ferry heading south. My truck will be parked at a friends place down by Shenandoah (Elkton). If the hammock system isn't cutting it, we will go to ground in the hextent for the remainder. My dog must come, my dog must be comfortable, and the hike is secondary to her well being.

Brewguy
02-15-2016, 11:31
Check out Fronkey's videos, he hammock camps with a husky. Dog sleeps on the ground on a pad under his hammock and tarp. Stays nice and dry.

OldTrailDog
02-15-2016, 21:19
Check out Fronkey's videos, he hammock camps with a husky. Dog sleeps on the ground on a pad under his hammock and tarp. Stays nice and dry.

Stays nice and dry. Hmmm, I would proffer that is quite a feat after being on the trail all day long in the rain, or days in the rain. I know I may be more accustom to MT and WY weather, but even though my Border Collies have excellent coats and undercoats, and spend considerable time outdoors, I know they like a wee bit o' shelter after grappling all day with the elements.

OldTrailDog
02-16-2016, 22:46
Case in point, after all day in the rain/snow these gals were happy to be curled up in the tent. Not too jacked about facing a new day of fresh snow and trail slush. Albeit, they also had to swim the Yellowstone and Thoroughfare rivers to get there. I suppose that would dampen, so to speak, some of my enthusiasm...brrrrr336693367033671