PDA

View Full Version : Esbit Questions

Phoenix7
05-13-2014, 19:02
I was wondering, do you need to wash your hands after handling an Esbit tab?

Also wondering, what is the shelf life of Esbit tabs still sealed in wrapper?

Thank you,

Dave

Hikes in Rain
05-13-2014, 20:57
I think you should always wash your hands after handling fuel. Or about anything else. :) Not sure about the shelf life, but when I was a kid, the local army navy surplus store was selling "heat tabs" (essentially the same thing) from the Korean war era. We used them as fire starters, and they worked fine. I think that as long as they're still solid (haven't evaporated) they should still work.

Starchild
05-13-2014, 22:30
No

And

indefinite.

nastynate
05-14-2014, 05:06
No

And

indefinite.
This. And I've been very happy since switching from alcohol to esbit.

daddytwosticks
05-14-2014, 07:09
Ditto the last two comments. I tend to use Esbit on short, warmer weather hikes. Love it for the simplicity and light weight. :)

nastynate
05-14-2014, 10:02
Ditto the last two comments. I tend to use Esbit on short, warmer weather hikes. Love it for the simplicity and light weight. :)

Yep. Folding Ti stand, windscreen, base plate, fuel, and lighter all fit in a 550ml mug. One tab will boil 1.5 cups for dinner, blow it out, and use the rest for hot coffee in the morning. I'm only a weekender so I don't have to worry about resupply. Throw 2-3 tabs in and I'm all set and even have an emergency fire starter.

QiWiz
05-14-2014, 11:42
No

And

indefinite.

+1
Even an unwrapped Esbit tab will stay good for quite awhile, though it will make any enclosed space it's in smell fishy

Razor
05-14-2014, 15:09
What do they do to the surface of the pot ? I have heard they leave a funky substance on it .

nastynate
05-14-2014, 15:36
Rub it on the ground while it is warm. Scrub with a little sand. Wash when you get to a sink with a Brillo pad. It's not that bad.

Starchild
05-14-2014, 16:20
What do they do to the surface of the pot ? I have heard they leave a funky substance on it .

They leave some residue that easily rubs off of titanium, I'm not sure about AL cookware. Even if you let it go for several cook cycles before cleaning, it rubs right off is my experience.

daddytwosticks
05-15-2014, 07:18
Rub it on the ground while it is warm. Scrub with a little sand. Wash when you get to a sink with a Brillo pad. It's not that bad.

Yes...the key is to wipe it off when it's still warm. :)

Sara
05-15-2014, 07:31
Esbit is awesome! I wash my stand and pot bottom at every town stop. I try to 'pop' the tab directly onto the stand and light it without touching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

superman
05-15-2014, 12:03
Esbit sucks

Just Bill
05-15-2014, 13:53
Esbit is awesome! I wash my stand and pot bottom at every town stop. I try to 'pop' the tab directly onto the stand and light it without touching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the tip I suggest as well.
I also store it in a Tupperware at home and keep it separate (outer pocket) while out and about.
Technically lasts forever, but I do notice mild reduction in efficiency after 6-12 months. Still works, but if you are a stove weenie you may see a slight reduction in boil time.

Esbit does suck- until you use a Caldera Cone- then it is the lightest, most efficient stove for below treeline trips under a week (AT thru). Amazing the difference this stove makes.

The gunk- I tend to cook in a fire a few times a week- this gets the worst of it. Sandy/gravel scrub works for the rest. A dirty pot heats faster anyway-so I don't scrub excessively. I also bring a 35mm film can to store partially used tabs.

Deacon
05-15-2014, 16:38

Deacon
05-15-2014, 16:45
That's the tip I suggest as well.
I also store it in a Tupperware at home and keep it separate (outer pocket) while out and about.
Technically lasts forever, but I do notice mild reduction in efficiency after 6-12 months. Still works, but if you are a stove weenie you may see a slight reduction in boil time.

Esbit does suck- until you use a Caldera Cone- then it is the lightest, most efficient stove for below treeline trips under a week (AT thru). Amazing the difference this stove makes.

The gunk- I tend to cook in a fire a few times a week- this gets the worst of it. Sandy/gravel scrub works for the rest. A dirty pot heats faster anyway-so I don't scrub excessively. I also bring a 35mm film can to store partially used tabs.

I use a Caldera Cone and I love Esbit because:
- it's quiet

- it's the lightest fuel to carry,

- I can easily blow it out and put the remaining tab back in a ziploc bag for use later,

- the half ounce cubes are easiest to meter for a hike. One cube per day.

- wipes off the pot easily.

Love the stuff.

STICK
05-15-2014, 19:58
Check out the 4 g Esbit tabs. I love using them as I can divvy out even more precise fuel measurements, and as an added bonus, the 4 g tabs do not have a fishy smell (they are not even packaged in a blister pack like the 14 g tabs are), and IME leave a good deal less soot under the pot. However, oz for oz, the 4 g tabs are about twice as expensive as the 14 g tabs...

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2014, 20:25
NO and don't read the MSDS...

Methenamine-

IF SWALLOWED • Immediately call a poison control center or doctor
• Do not induct vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor
• Do not give any liquid to the person
• Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person
IF ON SKIN OR CLOTHING
• Take off contaminated clothing
• Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes
• Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice
IF IN EYES • Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes.
• Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye
IF INHALED • Move person to fresh air
• If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificial respiration, preferably
by mouth to mouth if possible
• Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice

5.3 Special exposure hazards arising from the substance or preparation itself,
combustion products, resulting gases
In case of fire the following can develop:
Formaldehyd
Ammoniak
Nitro gases
Hydrocyanic acid (hydrogen cyanide)

Starchild
05-16-2014, 07:39
NO and don't read the MSDS...

Methenamine-

IF SWALLOWED • Immediately call a poison control center or doctor
• Do not induct vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor
• Do not give any liquid to the person
• Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person
IF ON SKIN OR CLOTHING
• Take off contaminated clothing
• Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes
IF IN EYES • Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes.
• Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye
IF INHALED • Move person to fresh air
• If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificial respiration, preferably
by mouth to mouth if possible
• Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment advice

5.3 Special exposure hazards arising from the substance or preparation itself,
combustion products, resulting gases
In case of fire the following can develop:
Formaldehyd
Ammoniak
Nitro gases
Hydrocyanic acid (hydrogen cyanide)

Is it also a medicine, used to treat certain infections, not that the fuel tab would be practical as that.

http://www.medicinenet.com/methenamine-oral/article.htm