PDA

View Full Version : how about a new topic called Wingy bashing

geoffrey morris
09-26-2005, 02:23
hi everyone, I was thinking about what an assshole Dan Wingfoot has been to the hiking community that dosen't fit his perfect hiker mold(and he thinks he's the hiking god). The other day when i previewed a post of mine on trailplace and in it i had mentioned Whiteblaze, the word Whiteblaze was deleted(#######) as if it were a curse word. Well if ATtroll allows it ,we should gather posts from folks who have had to deal with wingy and his crap. After awhile we can copy all of them and email the posts to Dan, to show him what a one sided jerk he is. I guess he banned me from his site(like i care) because i said whiteblaze. Funny thing is I told him that I agree with him on most issues but his one sided narrow view and lack of tolerence was only hurting his site and his rep. Guess he's too stupid to see the truth. Hummm? Where's the smile icon for the middle finger? I hope his site gets hacked and crashes off the internet forever, if i knew how i'd do it myself, that stupid @#%$&^**$&^&^###%$%. And he calls himself a friend of the AT, how can he be a friend of the AT and not a friend to the whole AT community? That would be like me offering parking to only those hikers who fit my mold of what a hiker should be. Yea it's his site and he can do whatever he wants to there, so i say we should encourge folks to boycot his site all together and anything else he has going on. So stop purchasing AT guide books from him! He's not the only person that ever hiked from one end to the other!! I realized why he hikes it so fast... he doesn't have to watch his back as much.... jerk! Oh do i sound mad? i'm not i really don't give a crap. However, let ol' wingy break a leg in Bishop hollow then i can tell him how it wouldn't be right for me short cut it back to the house so i can call the resuce squad on my cell , that wouldn't be in harmony with the "wingy view" or how i could haul him out with my ATV but then that wouldn't fit the wingy rules now would it?? Troll i'm glad you let folk express(aka rant) themselves here no matter if they're left, right or middle of the road, thank you. I hope Dan reads this , you know he's got some phony ID that he use's to go on WB and lurk around the site, where do you think he gets his info from anyway!! Hey Wingy you see the thumbs down icon turn it right 90 degrees and stick up the longest finger that for you and your stupidity. Troll plz don't take this down it was in need of being said a long time ago. What kind of jerk won't let us post the words Whiteblaze?? What's next wingy the word "freedom"? That too much against your views too? Hey folks plz forgive my ranting and my spelling. I'm sure i'll catch hell from the wingy supporters here on WB but than that's the beauty of it, Troll won't ban ya 'cause you might say Trailplace(ought to be call Dan's 1 sided/0 tolerence place) or mention you agree with wingy. Troll let this be the first post on the new topic "Wingy bashing". Damn ,i just had a million dollar idea, a punching bag with wingy's face on one side and his ass on the other. Humm? I guess that would be the same on both sides huh? Can't wait to hear the follow up on this.
Hey if ya don't agree it's cool ... that's why your here not there. hehe
G

Roland
09-26-2005, 02:31
Another bruised ego. Blah, blah, blah...

geoffrey morris
09-26-2005, 02:35
LIke I said Roland I really don't give a crap. It's just long over due

Lone Wolf
09-26-2005, 05:02
Wingfoot don't give a crap either. His site, his rules. Don't become obsessed with him like a few on Whiteblaze are obsessed with Warren Doyle. It's really weird and unhealthy.

TAMBOURINE
09-26-2005, 06:00
WELL I WAS RIGHT OFF THE A.T ON SUN THE 25TH OF SEPT IN VA RAN INTO A FEW THRU HIKERS NAME MOONDOG AND I FORGOT THE OTHER GUYS NAME BUT THEY BLUE BLAZE ALSO THEY CALLED HIM WINGNUT :eek: SAID THE BAS**** CRAZY I HAVE WROTE THINGS ON THE POST I WAS NEW TO HIKING AND ASKED A FEW QUESTIONS THAT I DID NOT KNOW AND HE MADE ME FEEL LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL I WANT TO THRU HIKE IN 06 WON'T BE ASKING FOR HIS HELP SO THANKGOD I FOUND WHITEBLAZE WISH THEY COULD DOWNLOAD PIC ON HIS SITE THE GUYS HELD UP FINGER SINGS FOR HIM TEAM BLUEBLAZE LMFAO IT WAS TO FUNNY WELL THOUGHT I WULD SHARE WITH YALL....((((((GODSPEED))))MOONDOGGIE.............

Blue Jay
09-26-2005, 07:13
We're trying to avoid badmouthing WingNut here, however it would be great if people took your suggestion and supported the ATC books and not Gone With the Wing. It is not easy to avoid the badmouth part since he is always making such devoted "fans" such as yourself

TJ aka Teej
09-26-2005, 07:38
Well if ATtroll allows it ,we should gather posts from folks who have had to deal with wingy and his crap. After awhile we can copy all of them and email the posts to Dan, to show him what a one sided jerk he is.
Hi Geoffrey,
There's really no need to go to that extreme. Very few hiker's opinions would change, and Wingy would only delight in the discord that would result from such a course of action.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-26-2005, 07:48
I understand some are undertaking a project to put out a new guidebook. If this ever happens, Wing’s book will not be the first choice of many hikers. Many consider Wing's guide better organized than the ATC's guide and that is why it continues to be popular despite many people having had less-than-stellar relations with the man and his site.

The ATC book has been discussed here over and over – the consensus is it difficult to use because of organizational problems, but there are no plans to change it.

Ender
09-26-2005, 10:02
Wingfoot don't give a crap either. His site, his rules. Don't become obsessed with him like a few on Whiteblaze are obsessed with Warren Doyle. It's really weird and unhealthy.

You speak the truth. Very weird, and very unhealthy.

wacocelt
09-26-2005, 10:06
This dead horse has been beaten so hard for so long it's about turned into pudding.

Moxie00
09-26-2005, 10:47
I've had a few run ins with Wingfoot. It is easy to avoid him. Stay off his site, don't purchase his book. In 1997 and 1998 his site was great before he got his attitude. In 2000 I asked Elmer, of Elmers in Hot Springs what had happened to Wingfoot and he politely said "Dan is under a great deal of pressure and it seems to have affected him". Well I feel sorry for Wingfoot but I will never put up with his crap again because with Whiteblaze I don't need his site and other trail guides are available. He had a great thing going and he alone blew it so let him stew in his Hot Springs bunker and lets hike on. He was an asset to the trail once, now he is just an annoying boil on the trail's backside. Ignore him, he won't go away but at least you won't have to deal with him.

Lone Wolf
09-26-2005, 11:18
He no longer resides in Hot Springs.

food
09-26-2005, 11:21
I was banned from his site. My life as been better for it. Thank you, Wingfoot.

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured."
- Mark Twain

Patrick
09-26-2005, 11:23
Amen. We all learn a lot as a community, of course. If I need to learn how to work a sewing machine or make an alcohol stove, you guys are the first I'll ask. But the idea of someone being some kind of "hiking guru" is just laughable. We're not building rockets out there every day. Left, right, repeat.

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 11:32
Geoffrey:

For someone who allegedly "doesn't give a crap" about Wingfoot or his website, you sure have a funny way of showing it.

For example, if you truly don't care, then what was the point of your instigating this thread?

Let's get real. You're pissed because you got tossed off of a website that has become increasingly marginalized and insignificant in recent years, which is a nice way of saying that it doesn't get much traffic anymore.

Nevertheless, you've gotten your bowels in a massive uproar because you're no longer allowed to post at a site that isn't really Interactive due to excessive administrative control, and that nobody much goes to anyway. Do you really think, then, that is is something to be so peevish about?

With all due respect, Geoffrey, if this is the most noteworthy thing in your life that is occupying your mind, you've got it pretty easy.

And lastly, you mentioned that your comments needed to be said long ago. News to Geoffrey: This has all been hashed and re-hashed to death here and elsewhere; what you're saying is not exactly news, the only thing noteworthy about your post is its length and anger, both of which seem excessive. Geoff, hundreds of folks have been thrown off of Trailplace over the years for any number of reasons.

Most of them get over it.

You will, too.

icemanat95
09-26-2005, 11:32

One of the things you clearly fail to comprehend is that when you go out on attack after someone in this way, you make it clear that you are just as much of a jerk as the target of your attack.

Dan Bruce may be a lot of things, but I can guarantee you that he's done more for thru-hikers and thru-hiking over the past 15-20 years than you will EVER do.

Many of us here have been tossed off Trailplace. I've been chucked two or three times and am no longer active there, but still maintain a cordial relationship with Dan. Get over it. Get over yourself and start acting like an adult.

Tin Man
09-26-2005, 11:36
Geoff, hundreds of folks have been thrown off of Trailplace over the years for any number of reasons.

Most of them get over it.

You will, too.

Sounds like something to be proud of rather than something to get over.

Big Dawg
09-26-2005, 11:51
We're not building rockets out there every day. Left, right, repeat.
Laugh Out Loud (system said LOL was too short). :D

One Leg
09-26-2005, 12:56
When is enough going to be enough? I've seen more threads regarding the hatred of WF and WD on here to last me a lifetime.

I don't agree with the way that WF runs his site. However, it is his site, and it's his perrogative to run it however he sees fit. And, since I don't agree with the way that he runs his site, I simply choose not to frequent it. I can't tell you the last time I've even been there.

..........but.............

Wingfoot has offered somewhat of a positive contribution to the trail in the way of his handbook. It ain't a perfect book, it has things in it that are out of date, but overall, it's a good book.

Politically, I believe him to be a Democratic-Extremist, but again, that's my opinion. It doesn't detract from the contributions he's provided, nor does it factor in my decision whether or not to speak to the guy when I see him.

Being part of the hiking community means that you have a love & respect for the trail, and for your fellow hikers. By granting that respect, you're recognizing that all men are not created equal in the sense that we all agree 100% of the time about everything. Additionally, you are allowing your fellow hiker some "elbow room" to not only be different, but to share their differing opinions.

By coming on here and starting a WF bashing thread, or turning an existing thread into a bashing thread, such as is going on currently over at the WD thread, you're showing others in the community that your actions do not line up with your words.

In the last couple of years, I've grown and matured a lot with regard to when to share my opinions, and when to keep them to myself. Just go back and read some of my earlier posts on here, and you'll learn that I'm extremely opinionated.

I don't have to agree with someone 100% in order to derive some knowledge from them. Even if someone is 90% wrong in the way that they go about doing things, that means that they're 10% right, and I can benefit from that small percentage.

If, as you stated in the post that began this thread, you don't really care, then show us you don't care by not disinterring something that was long ago buried, and proceeding to kill it all over again.

dixicritter
09-26-2005, 13:01

Just doing a few quick searches of Whiteblaze I came up with the following results....

Search on the word "wingfoot" drew 173 matches...

Search on the words "Dan Bruce" drew 18 matches...

Search on the word "Trailplace" drew 89 matches...

Search on the word "wingy" drew 20 matches...

Search on the word "wingnut" drew 13 matches...

Total results on posts about Dan Bruce aka wingfoot... 313 matches.

It's been done to death, not long overdue as you suggested. Sorry just the facts.

:jump

Alligator
09-26-2005, 13:17
Just doing a few quick searches of Whiteblaze I came up with the following results....

Search on the word "wingfoot" drew 173 matches...

Search on the words "Dan Bruce" drew 18 matches...

Search on the word "Trailplace" drew 89 matches...

Search on the word "wingy" drew 20 matches...

Search on the word "wingnut" drew 13 matches...

Total results on posts about Dan Bruce aka wingfoot... 313 matches.

It's been done to death, not long overdue as you suggested. Sorry just the facts.

:jumpYou've got to go to advanced search Dixicritter, find posts from any date :eek:

Search on the word "wingfoot" drew 500 matches...(There are more than 500, that's the preset limit.)

Search on the words "Dan Bruce" drew 72 matches...

Search on the word "Trailplace" drew 319 matches...

Search on the word "wingy" drew 112 matches...

Search on the word "wingnut" drew 61 matches...

Total results on posts about Dan Bruce aka wingfoot... Let's let Mr. Morris add them up, as he seems bored.

VAMTNHIKER
09-26-2005, 17:16
Well said One-Leg!

Moxie00
09-26-2005, 21:41
He no longer resides in Hot Springs.Wow, I am shocked. I thought he was the biggest business and educational institution in Hot Springs. In 2000 he did not publish his handbook until late fall but I arrived there with a 1998 edition and on the map of Hot Springs it showed the Center for Applachian Trail Studies. I walked down Bridge Street, turned left on Meadow Street, and found Mountain Heights. I must have misunderstood his map because I didn't find the tree lined campus I expected. With a name like The Center for Applachian Trail Studies I expected an administration building, several classroom buildings and labs. Fraternity houses but most of all a library where I would find such things as Myron Avery's 2 inch white paintbrush, Benton McKays blood pressure medication, Earl Schafers Esso Eoad Map, Grandma Gatewood's Bra and Baltimore Jacks ash tray. I imagined that Lone Wolf would be Dean of Students and Blister Sister the Head Cheerleader. Jester coaching the Billville 11 as I imagined the football team would have been named. All I found was a small house with a little overweght man smoking in a room lighted only be his computor screen. I knocked on his door to ask directions to the campus and he slamed the door in my face and told me to "buy the book if I wanted directions." I went to Buff Mountain Outfitters, bought a quart of denatured alcohol, drank it and the next day hiked out of town without ever finding the great institution.
:datz :datz :datz :datz :datz :datz

Sleepy the Arab
09-26-2005, 23:30
Every time I see these threads I roll my eyes. I know where they are going, and usually which regulars will chime in. And yet, I STILL CLICK ON IT. Am I a masochist or merely a Wingfoot news junky?

wacocelt
09-27-2005, 01:19
Sleepy... Yes.

Nightwalker
09-27-2005, 11:54
Dan Bruce may be a lot of things, but I can guarantee you that he's done more for thru-hikers and thru-hiking over the past 15-20 years than you will EVER do.
Can I borrow your crystal ball? I promise to clean it up real nice before I bring it back...

c.coyle
09-27-2005, 13:16
You've got to go to advanced search Dixicritter, find posts from any date :eek:

Search on the word "wingfoot" drew 500 matches...(There are more than 500, that's the preset limit.)

Search on the words "Dan Bruce" drew 72 matches...

Search on the word "Trailplace" drew 319 matches... etc., etc., etc. ...

Other boards deal with these interminable, insoluble threads by requiring all posts in a single topic, usually titled something like "Post all [["Wingfoot", "cellphone", "dogs on the trail", "guns on the trail", "liberals are wussies", "conservatives are cavemen", etc., etc.]] messages here". Easier to ignore (or read, I guess) one thread than a dozen.

Just my 2 cents. Damn, this Wingfoot sure has gotten in a lot of peoples' heads.

Alligator
09-27-2005, 14:47
Other boards deal with these interminable, insoluble threads by requiring all posts in a single topic, usually titled something like "Post all [["Wingfoot", "cellphone", "dogs on the trail", "guns on the trail", "liberals are wussies", "conservatives are cavemen", etc., etc.]] messages here". Easier to ignore (or read, I guess) one thread than a dozen.

Just my 2 cents. Damn, this Wingfoot sure has gotten in a lot of peoples' heads.Yes, having them all in one thread what more easily determine that Wingfoot has been done to death here. Perhaps you should direct your comments Dixicritter or admin.