PDA

View Full Version : Are there many "real" hiking supply stores along southern first 200 Mi of the A.T?

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 11:16
Im just planning for the possibility of a thru next year.

Are there any "real" hiking stores along the first 1-2 month hike along the southern A.T?

I heard that Neels gap is a pretty good hiking supply store, but thats only in the first 3 days......

what if im hiking and 1 month into it I decide to switch from tent to hammocking? or decide to swtich my gear completely. Other than using amazon.com on the trail, are there many big hiking stores with supplies?

I dont really mean something like academy/dicks sports where the hiking is limited to 3 isles....

I mean something bigger and more hiking orientated such as "sportsmans warehouse....... cabellas...... bass pro shop" etc where if desired, i could see things such as a dozen different hammocks..... a large selection of tents already set up to view.... 20 diff backback types etc.

I figure I wouldnt really know what I need to get, or get rid of after only 3 days to Neels gap. But by week 3-4 I would know whats best for me.

Im sure you all know whats considered a "good" hiking selection.

dmax
05-14-2014, 11:20
Ones going north ..

Franklin
Hot Springs
Damascus

canoe
05-14-2014, 12:01
No there are not any real hiking stores...only fake ones LOL

canoe
05-14-2014, 12:04
I would nt call cabelas nor bass pro a hiking store. makes me wonder what you are really looking for

jj2044
05-14-2014, 12:27
You live in Dalton ga ! go hike for a long weekend, test your gear, make sure it what you want...... clueless to think Cabalas is a "hiking store", you would be lucky if the person selling stuff to you had ever been hiking in their life, the people at mountain crossings (neels gap) have real experience hiking the AT. a decent supply of gear.............

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 12:36
by real, I stated I meant places with more than what academy sports has here in town, with only 3 isles of hiking.

When I was at cabellas for the only time, in minnesota I counted 13 isles of gear and supplies.

Thats what I meant. A place where I have a selection and not just 3 tents, or the academy sports store here in town that yesterday only had 3 hiking poles in the whole store.

But I getcha. Stupid question.

jj2044
05-14-2014, 13:03
if you decide to change gear after a month or so, you are not going to need to see a lot of different brands..... more then likely you are going to have seen what you want from another hikers gear, laid maybe even slept in it... you will already know the brand and type you want.... I think you are worrying a little to much about this.... trust me it will take care of its self.

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 13:07
thanks. that answer helps a lot.

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 13:07
that wasnt sarcasm, either. lol

rafe
05-14-2014, 13:14
There is (or was) a good one in Cloverdale. Ie. a "real" backpacking supply store. Easy access to the trail. I forget the name.

bigcranky
05-14-2014, 14:52
Offhand I remember "real" outfitters in many of the small towns along the trail. Not big box outfitters, but small independent outfitters specializing in hiking gear. Neels Gap, Franklin, NOC (though mostly paddling stuff), Hot Springs, Damascus, Daleville, etc.

Ricky&Jack
05-14-2014, 15:17
great. thanks :)

RED-DOG
05-14-2014, 15:25
Yes Man their some really great Outfitters along the AT Here is a couple.
Bluff MT Outfitters in Hot Springs ( 828 ) 662-7162.
OutDoor Trails in Daleville VA ( 540 ) 992-5850, It's only about 300 yards from the AT and it's one of my all time Favs along the AT.
Their is a Cabelas Super Store ( 610 ) 929-7000, in Hamburg PA about 2 miles from Port Clinton and their AYCE Buffet is one of the best on the trail.
and of course their is alot more than i listed here, their's Two in Franklin NC and their is also Two in Damascus.
But once you get past the Delaware Water Gap the outfitters are few and far between, 90% are in the southern Half of the AT.

A.T.Lt
05-14-2014, 15:26
Once you get in to NY, the Route 17 trailhead, Ramsey Outdoors, Campmor and a small EMS is only about 30 minutes drive south on 17 into NJ. An REI is probably an additional 10 minutes away. Problem is getting a ride to and from.

Venchka
05-14-2014, 23:20
Bluff Mountain Outfitter on the AT in Hot Springs, NC is a dealer for ULA backpacks and Western Mountaineering bags. That is about as real as it gets.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

meat803
05-15-2014, 02:11
I have visited a few outfitters in Franklin. I only remember 1 place had actual hiking stuff and all the other ones were more of a yuppie "look at me I'm in the mountains" store. The store that had usable stuff was Three Eagles Outfitters. I bought a Hennessey Hammock there when I forgot my trekking poles at home. You can go for a hike on The Bartram Trail or AT and check them out. Both of those trails are close.

wornoutboots
05-15-2014, 07:05
Great answers! As you can see, don't let this worry you! There are a ton of really good options. Also if you see a piece of gear that someone else is carrying & think it may be a good fit for you, you can call the manufacturer & have them ship it to any post office, hostel or outfitter along the way.

rafe
05-15-2014, 07:14
Great answers! As you can see, don't let this worry you! There are a ton of really good options. Also if you see a piece of gear that someone else is carrying & think it may be a good fit for you, you can call the manufacturer & have them ship it to any post office, hostel or outfitter along the way.

True. I've received stuff at post offices from both Campmor and REI. It's no worse (or better) than arranging any other kind of mail drop.

globetruck
05-15-2014, 07:44
Any reason why you cant do a few practice hikes and overnights prior to hitting the trail? Even backyard overnights can help - that's where I really learned how to fine tune my hammock. Lots of different tarp pitching options, snake skins, under quilts versus pads, etc. I'd actually look for really bad weather nights to test my gear. It pays huge dividends when actually on the trail.

Venchka
05-15-2014, 08:20
Halloween to Mardi Gras is your best time for testing in adverse conditions. Any gear works when the weather is nice. The right gear works when the weather is very un-nice.
If you are swapping gear on the trail you didn't do your homework.

Wayne

turtle fast
05-15-2014, 13:38
You got to remember now with the internet that most things can be delivered within a day or two with expedited shipping. Sure it doesn't help if your boots/shoes completely blew out, or you want to try on something first...but you will have more selection on gear. Many folks order something in one town and have it shipped the next town down the trail.

Ricky&Jack
05-15-2014, 13:40
yeah, that was a thought in my head.

Luckily im a member of AMAZON PRIME :)

jeffmeh
05-15-2014, 19:56
Duct tape shoe repairs have a chance of holding out until an Amazon Prime delivery. :)

Venchka
05-16-2014, 00:10
Duct tape shoe repairs have a chance of holding out until an Amazon Prime delivery. :)

Geezer Crazy Notion: Flimsy mesh and foam "trail runners" are probably shot support wise in half the distance that it takes to develop a need for duct tape. In other words, ditch them after 200-300 miles instead of 500-700. 400 miles tops. Your feet will thank you.
I totally abstain from eBay and Amazon. Does that make me a bad person?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

shakey_snake
05-16-2014, 00:29
by real, I stated I meant places with more than what academy sports has here in town, with only 3 isles of hiking.

When I was at cabellas for the only time, in minnesota I counted 13 isles of gear and supplies.

I don't mean to **** on you here, but you've really got this wrong. You're not going to haul all 13 aisles of gear to Maine. Talk to the associates and see if they're knowledgeable. Perhaps they only need to stock 3 or 4 types of trekking poles if they know how to best meet what their customers need. Lots of times in retail variety is the illusion of quality. Why bite?

Gambit McCrae
05-16-2014, 07:58
Once out on your thru, all you will become quite interested in are the necesities...Food, and probably wont be very picky with what you can find after you miscalc your supply once or twice. As far as gear is concerned I know that there are little camping stores in most of these trail towns you hear of...and if it is a gear malfunction you are having, call your manufacturer BEFORE reaching the next town, they will mail you replacement parts as well as a return postage stamp.