PDA

View Full Version : permethrin

misterfloyd
05-14-2014, 21:37
Hello,

I thought I would try to buy in bulk and dilute myself. I have the 10% strength, what is the correct ratio of chemical to water?

I have heard many things about buying it in bulk and diluting it yourself. Water based vs oil based.

What are your experiences?

Used sawyer last year $$ but worked. Just tying to save a little money.

Any information is greatly appreciated!!!!

Best,
floyd

Sorry if this was already in earlier thread.

STICK
05-14-2014, 22:01
Here is an article I wrote a few years back on Diluting 36.8% Permethrin. (http://sticksblog.com/2012/05/05/dealing-with-ticks/)

Here is an article on another forum with some more info. (http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=832107219;t=9991157749;st=3 0)

Here is another article for diluting different strengths. (http://www.isd.net/~mhurwicz//tickproof/)

And keep in mind... deciding to treat your clothes with this is a very personal decision... lots of folks don't like the kind that you buy premixed, let alone these instructions to dilute your own. It's definitely a controversial topic, and one that everyone needs to think about before deciding if it's for them or not...

Also, Permethrin is very toxic to cats and fish. Do not discard any unused Permethrin in, or near, bodies of water, or down a drain. As well, do not dump it in an area where cats can get to it. I personally put it in a spray bottle and use it as needed... I have even sprayed some around the house, and on ant hills... And of course, keep it far away from children or pregnant women. As well, I suggest to use gloves when mixing/applying the solution to your clothing...

Once the Permethrin solution dries, it is no longer harmful. Even if the treated clothes become wet again (sweat, rain, river crossings, etc...) it will still not be an issue. However, I still would just be cautious with the clothing...

Rain Man
05-15-2014, 10:00
I have the 10% strength, what is the correct ratio of chemical to water?

And to think I asked my middle school math teacher "When will I ever have to 'find X' in real life?!" LOLOLOL

If you have 10% and want .5%, that's a 20-to-1 dilution. So, if you want 20 ounces, pour in 1 ounce of your 10% Permethrin and 19 ounces of water. Close enough.

If you soak, soak for at least 2 hours. If you spray, spray on fabric laying flat and let dry that way. Those are recommended methods for allowing the molecules to bond to the fabric.

And, I agree with Stick's post.

Rain Man

misterfloyd
05-15-2014, 17:12
Hi guys,

I hear you about math.... I was never good it!, and just wanted a confirmation.

I get the ramifications about the environment and cats. I really never realized it was a hot button topic.

From reading other posts from other forums, there is a difference between oil and water based.... who knew? I ordered some from amazon, tried calling the company, found the website and no number just an email contact form. Guess the oil based stains clothes. I , of course do not know what mine is so I will try on an old piece of clothing to see.

Thank you for all of the help and for the above links. In the mean time I will work on my math skills...........at least I can still help my children :)

All the best,
Floyd

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2014, 18:24
wear rubber gloves

Theosus
05-15-2014, 19:11
Also, Permethrin is very toxic to cats and fish.

Finally a way to get rid of those pesky cats that hang around the house! Thanks for that.

Seriously though... I have some of this stuff, we have ants try to come in every year around august when it gets over 100. I keep a bottle of 38% around, for spraying outside the house. I have thought about using it to treat clothes, but haven't done it yet.

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2014, 20:19
There are better choices for ants. & crawling insects... Try not to drop it near your well

Odd Man Out
05-15-2014, 21:34
Hi guys,

I hear you about math.... I was never good it!, and just wanted a confirmation. ...

The math is actually kind of annoying and not as straight forward as we would hope. The good news is that the simple formula given by Rain Man matches what is on at least one product label:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/Permethrin%2010%20Label.pdf

But in reality it isn't clear. It's interesting that on the 36.8% label (from the same company) they use a different calculation.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/permethrin_sfr_label.pdf

Rain Man's formula is correct for volume based units (we all learn it in freshman chemistry). But the 36.8% concentrate is not 36.8% by volume, but 36.8% by weight. Assuming this is also true for the 10% solution, then the correct dilution ratio would be 1 gram of concentrate diluted with 19 gram of water (or any other mass unit you want). Doing the dilution with volume units will be slightly off because the density of the concentrate is not the same as the density of water. The more concentrated the original solution, the greater the discrepancy. For the 36.8% solution, the correct recipe is 1.67 oz per gallon of total solution. Doing the calculation with Rain Man's formula you get 1.74 oz per gallon, or 4.3% too much - a small error and probably for what we are doing, not enough to worry about.

Nevertheless, if you see slightly different formulas or recipes, this is probably the reason.

squeezebox
05-15-2014, 22:16
So where to buy permitherin ? I'm more likely to do he soak method.
Is there any reason to get a spray bottle to touch up your clothes during a thru hike.
Any affect on GoreTex or such material.

Odd Man Out
05-15-2014, 23:06
Is there any reason to get a spray bottle to touch up your clothes during a thru hike.

I've seen it at farm stores. One had it in the horse care section.

Wise Old Owl
05-16-2014, 00:59

Hmm When I went thru the last course at Delaware U - they made statements that most insecticides last 6-8 weeks on objects test in a lab with a LD50 capability and then they break down or start the path to being inert.

In our industry we are using a special bed sheet accessory in the hotels that is on the box frame "upside down" and it has permethrin infused most likely in the soak method that you would not come in contact with. The manufacture says if it is not washed it has a two year capability. I have not read the manufacture material information on this product yet. - well now I guess I must. Hope that helps.

Theosus
05-16-2014, 07:17
There are better choices for ants. & crawling insects... Try not to drop it near your well

Don't have a well... I get county water in pipes. It seems to work pretty darn nicely.

My only concern is how it reacts with synthetic clothes. I know deet, for example, will damage them. I had some deet on my hands when I picked up my GPS, the rubbery backing got all sticky like it was melting. It stabilized later and was back to normal, but if that had been clothes it might have been destroyed. How do synthetic fabrics handle permethrin?

Mobius
05-16-2014, 08:41
My only concern is how it reacts with synthetic clothes. I know deet, for example, will damage them. I had some deet on my hands when I picked up my GPS, the rubbery backing got all sticky like it was melting. It stabilized later and was back to normal, but if that had been clothes it might have been destroyed. How do synthetic fabrics handle permethrin?

Permethrin hasn't has any apparently impact any of the synthetic fabric I've applied it to. Nylon, polyester, mixes, etc.

For what it's I caught a tick crawling in my leg last night. One of the larger ticks, not a tiny deer tick. I placed it on the hiking pants I sprayed last weekend and let it crawl around about a minute. It didn't appear to be stressed or particularly repelled. I put it in a clear film canister. When I checked it 20 min later it was very much dead. (It didn't suffocate.)

perrymk
05-16-2014, 11:26
And to think I asked my middle school math teacher "When will I ever have to 'find X' in real life?!" LOLOLOL

I never had any trouble finding x

Odd Man Out
05-16-2014, 12:23
I never had any trouble finding x

I'll give partial credit for clever answers. It's still an F, but it's a high F. ;-)

jeffmeh
05-18-2014, 09:46
http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10%25-32-bottle/dp/B0088Y7PJY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400420731&sr=8-3&keywords=martin%27s+permethrin+10

I have had great results with this stuff.

Ricky&Jack
05-18-2014, 15:26
do they sell permethrin at walmart? I looked in camping and also the bug spray section but all I could find was small spray cans/bottles that say "Deet". I didnt see anything that says Permethrin.

do they sell it all walmart? whats it look like?

BuckeyeBill
05-18-2014, 15:34
do they sell permethrin at walmart? I looked in camping and also the bug spray section but all I could find was small spray cans/bottles that say "Deet". I didnt see anything that says Permethrin.

I don't know if Wally World carries it, something tells me they do. Here (http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz) is what it looks like in a spray bottle.

Ricky&Jack
05-18-2014, 15:36
i remember seeing sawyer bottles. I may have overlooked that bottle. Ill be back at walmart tomorrow to look again before my trip tuesday

MountainsCalling
05-19-2014, 10:26

This is what you're after. I'm not sure about Wal-Mart, but Dick's Sporting Goods carries it.

Ricky&Jack
05-19-2014, 10:29
No dicks here. But there's an academy sports. I'll look today. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
05-19-2014, 11:44
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/19/hu8e9ede.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk