PDA

View Full Version : 7 day hike options

Flying Eagle
09-26-2005, 13:19
I'm planning a AT section hike for my sons and I (I'm 57) and had originally thought of the GSMNP 71 mile section. This spring right after Easter I did Springer to Franklin in 10 days. The trouble with GSMNP is the restrictive camping in shelters regulation. For a group of six this can be a problem, so what other suggestions might the rest of you have.

I've considered extend our time and doing the 100 mile Wilderness, or the SNP, and I've read that the Whites are nice. Will probably be either a spring ( April into early May ) or early fall ( Aug or Sept ) timeline.

It was in low teens on Albert this spring and I plowed through 12"+ snow for a couple days, so weather is not an insurmountable factor for me. In fact hiking in a snow storm is kind of nice.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.images/smilies/think.gif

orangebug
09-26-2005, 13:38
When do you plan to have your hike with 6 friends? Depending on the circumstances, there might be no problem with shelter or camping restrictions.

Flying Eagle
09-26-2005, 15:16
As I said that could be March/April or in the fall. It would depend on availablility at GSMNP or best season elsewhere.

Roland
09-26-2005, 16:11
I've considered extend our time and doing the 100 mile Wilderness, or the SNP, and I've read that the Whites are nice. Will probably be either a spring ( April into early May ) or early fall ( Aug or Sept ) timeline. I wouldn't recommend doing the Whites in April. August/September is a much better choice. A few huts (Lakes & Madison) close in mid-September. Others usually stay open until mid-October.

Roland

The Solemates
09-26-2005, 17:24
SNP is nice in the spring, but there are too many people. The Whites are awesome in the Fall, but there are too many people (we were just there this sept and the weather was perfect!). the smokies are nice, but too many people on the AT. besides, the AT through the smokies can be done easily in 4 days. My suggestion, therefore, would be to do the 100-mile wilderness, which is awesome any time of the year. If that doesnt work out, I would do a huge loop hike within the Smokies, but off of the AT.

orangebug
09-26-2005, 22:25
As I said that could be March/April or in the fall. It would depend on availablility at GSMNP or best season elsewhere.Sorry I missed that. You would enter the Smokies during prime thru hiker and Spring Breaker seasons. You might be able to let them know that you are more experienced, and hence appropriate to get to tent near AT shelters.

09-26-2005, 23:58
Why not start at Springer. With a 7 days hike you would be able to complete an entire state and if you streach it to 10 days you could end at the NOC and do a little white water. The time of year you are thinking of you would be well behind the thru hikers and during the week the trail would almost be just to your group. And the heat will not have come to the souther mtns.